PDA

View Full Version : oil light coming on . 312d

mxsprinter
09-01-2010, 05:37 AM
Hi Guys ,
Got a problem with the oil light coming on at 2500 rpm , I back off and it goes out ,

Changed oil and filter and it was good for a while but now it is starting to go back on again ,
Tried looking for the oil switch sensor but cannot find it as i thought it might be a loose wire or something (i hope )

any help would be a great help , thanks in advance , cheers Rick :bow:

Altered Sprinter
09-01-2010, 05:57 AM
Temperamental thing they can be,when parked on a slope up or down.
Normal thing is to check oil level on a level surface cold not hot, it takes 10 minutes from stopping your engine for the oil to level out in the sump or thereabouts.
Oil lamp can come on if your low on oil when going down a steep gradient.
Testing senors and wires ,you need a multi digital multimeter or a three in one diagnostic tool. to trace a wire voltage pulse drop or noid light senor fault etc. I'd check for exposed or dirty contacts on your loom first.
Richard

mxsprinter
09-01-2010, 05:59 AM
Hi Guys need some help as to my problem of the oil light coming on while driving ,
oil level is fine , changed oil and filter and oil light stopped coming on for a while but now it is starting to flash at me again at about 2500 rpm ,,
I back off a bit and the light goes off , ,
can anyone tell me where the oil sender unit is as i cant find it , hoping that it may be a faulty switch or loose wire maybe ( hoping )
Cheers Rick

Johan Turbo
09-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Oil sender unit must be on the back og the engine. Fairly high, on the cilinder head or on teh block just under the head.
If you don't find it I will try to make a picture on my 312D

Eric Experience
09-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Rick.
Where are you located in Melbourne? I am 50ks south east. Eric.

mxsprinter
09-01-2010, 10:08 PM
thanks guys ,
ill have a good look around again today to see if loom in not damaged etc ,

Eric i am located in Seaford , near Frankston , 0432 708 865

GEARS
09-01-2010, 11:16 PM
I had a 1993 Ford F-250 van with the 300 inline 6 cylinder that would do the same thing.

The main bearings were worn so badly that under compression the oil pressure would drop down to 20psi but if you let off the gas it would jump back up to 60psi.

The reason for this was the main bearing were worn out on the bottom shell. The mains were fed from the top bearing shell and had worn the bottom shells out to the copper, while the top shells still looked like new. Crazy van went 300,000 miles before it busted the cam shaft in two. That thing took a beating but the mileage was terrible, about 14 unloaded.

:cheers: