pros and cons on roof vents

Gulf SV

Kevin Burns
Before I chop into the roof of Bad Dog, what are your thoughts on roof vents. There seems to be a huge consensus on Fan-Tastick units, although there are lots of options, even with thoses, but what about you guys who've installed other brands. Anything else I should look at prior to purchasing. Since the van is Black, and soon to be dark gray metallic, I do like the idea of not using a white vent. Appearances aside, let me know your thoughts.

Mrdi

The only part of the vent that shows outside is the dome, double insulated tinted is recommended. I cannot imagine a dark van w/o some form of ventilation, Fantastic vents seem to be the primary choice and I have installed one in my 144 hi. Easy to install. I prefer a simple approach so 3 speed reversible was my choice along with low profile and double insulated (2 lenses).
Make sure you wash everything outside after the installation, those fine metal dust particles from the cut get everywhere and RUST quickly.
I papered and taped off the interior before the cut and then vacuumed.

jackbombay

2003 158" shc
I am a fuzz under 6' tall, and the inside of my T1N is right at 6'. ONe thing I did not think about when looking for fans was the possibility of reduced ceiling height from the fan. Now, the fan does not reduce ceiling height, but the knob to manually open/close the vent lid does stick down about 1" below the ceiling plane so it hit my head and was extremely annoying, till I cut it off with my grinder and welded a thin flat handle onto it. Not skull/knob interference now, but most people also don't have a welder around to fix it like I did.

I think its "permafrost" that sells one that looks like the knob might notbe as prominent as the fantastic vent...

Hope this helps...

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
The best part about Fantastic Vents is the factory service....

Years after you bought your vent you give them a call, talk to a real knowledgable person and they ship out a replacement part free of charge, no questions asked. I know of no other company short of maybe RR or Maybach that will stand by their product with that level of service...

I second the low profile option, there will be minimal white showing and you can paint the white flange dark graphite to match the van...

Cheers
George

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
I took the knob off mine as well, I have never actually used the manual knob in 4 years...
There really is no need for it unless you would like to open the vent partially by stalling the motor (approved procedure by Fantastic Vent)

Cheers
George

Mrdi

Fantastic also has a low profile knob.
Call them in the tech dept and ask questions.
They will also tell you a good place to order what you want.
Lo Profile
Double insulated (reduces heat and cold)
Reversible
Smoke tint will compliment your van color and let in some light.
You can read about all the options on the Fantastic vent web site.
You will also want to know the distance between the roof and your headliner so they can cut the interior trim to fit.
Among the kindest and most knowledgeable people with whom I've dealt.

Last edited:

Gulf SV

Kevin Burns
Thanks to all. Saw the smoke option on Fan-tastic. Never thought much about knobs protruding. thanks for that. No interior at the moment, so no hassle either, at the moment. Good clean up tip. I'll hold out a bit for opinions on other units, but the Fan-tastic might be a good Labor Day project.

H2o-Bar

Installing 2 ceiling fans was on of my 1st projects. I looked around and it came down to the either the Fantastic fan or the MaxxFan Deluxe.
I purchased the MaxxFans because I could leave them open while driving and parked with it's Built-In Rain Cover. I guess we'll see about reliability/ costumer service.

rmr1

So, how good is the Maxxfan rain cover during an Arizona monsoonal downpour?

How about some horizontal rain?

Diamondsea

I have 2 of the Maxx units and they seem to work fine in the rain. In camp sites the rain may come from any direction and it does not seem to come in and it does not seem to matter if the fan is off, incoming, or exhaust --- rain seems to stay out. Maxx fans are available in "smoke" color.

Mrdi

The profile on the Maxx Fan is quite a bit different.
The net height above the roof may or may not be a consideration for you, so take a look at both.

Charlie

2008 2500 170 Diesel
I just picked up two of the Maxx Fan Deluxe units. Here in the Northwest, being able to keep the vent open in the rain is a big deal. I punted on the remote control and motorized opening - more cost and more stuff to break. I do know at least one owner who loves his remote Maxx Fan however.

From everything I've read, people have been happy with both the Fantastic and the Maxx.

Gulf SV

Kevin Burns
Thanks to all who replied :clapping:, although I don't think I'm any closer to deciding. :thinking: Thought I was going to Wisconsin this weekend to get doors, but that fell through, so there"ll be plenty of time to do some legwork. Fortunately, you've all agreed there are basically two to consider.

Without going up and climbing on your rigs, do you know the profile height of the Fan-Tastic and Maxxaire?

Mrdi

The low profile Fan Vent is about 3 " above the roof ribs.
I lied, I just measured; it is 3 3/8", that is the double insulated dome.

Last edited:

wayneskid

My Airstream Interstate has the MaxxFan and it works great for me and is very quiet at low speeds.
Wayne

Gulf SV

Kevin Burns
One more question. (maybe). To avoid the "You want how much for that" look I can be famous for (I think it looks like this :wtf:), what can I expect to pay for either. Don't really think I need a remote, but the rain sensing technology would be nice. I'm always forgetting to close the windows. :idunno:

yellowmike

Uncle Kevin,
The Maxx fans are very nice looking and it sounds like they work well too but I have to say that I have had zero problems with my fantastic vent fan and the remote control is a real nice feature. I can open or close the vent when we are going down the road without stopping and climbing over the bikes to get to the control knob. It's also nice when we are sleeping in the van to be able to open it for some fresh air after an attack of road food indigestion (if you know what I mean):shifty: It was very easy to install & maintain. either one of these will be a great addition to your van....

d_bertko

Since the van is Black, and soon to be dark gray metallic, I do like the idea of not using a white vent. Appearances aside, let me know your thoughts.
You might consider that dark paint compared to white paint is a serious heat factor. I saw an article that said white paint without insulation is equivalent to dark paint with 2" of foam ceiling insulation.

I've got white paint and foam insulation on my DIY and the fan use is surprisingly small.

And more kudos for the Fantastic Fan folks. The tech dept sold me a special OEM clamshell model because I had close tolerances to my roof deck. A fan support arm developed a crack several years later---they sent me a brand new replacement fan without requiring anything from me. Terrific support.

Dan

Gulf SV

Kevin Burns
The deed has been done. I ordered a FanTastic vent fan tonight for Bad Dog from Andohen Supply in Ohio. Their deal seemed pretty good. All the bells and whistles on this one with a choice of lid and color (lid and interior) and a garnish :idunno: cut to my ceiling height, and my favorite accessory, FREE SHIPPING. :thumbup: $242.99. I'm ready to start cutting holes.

Thanks again for all the good advice. :cheers:

Top Bottom