PDA

View Full Version : Fuel in Mexico

Roberto
08-30-2010, 10:24 PM
Anyone know for sure if Pemex diesel is OK for the Sprinter all across the country? I seem to recall reading that it is all now low sulpher.

Mrdi
08-31-2010, 04:08 AM
I read the same comment on this forum.
One thing I did learn after several trips from So Cal to Cabo is fill up every time you get a chance. Also carry an extra five. With a 25+ gallon tank it is not such a necessity as it is with a 12 gallon tank but I would guess diesel may not be available at every PEMEX.
Another thing I learned was that 2 spare tires are a necessity ( 1 unmounted is OK ) if you intend to travel on the dirt roads. In Baja traveling on dirt is part of the program, and the rocks jump out of the sand and bite the sidewalls. Make sure you are capable of changing a tire and that would include a breaker bar to loosen the lug nuts, and perhaps a piece of 2 x 6 or thick piece of plywood for a jack base.
Driving at night is not a good idea, range animals are prevalent.
Cows do serious damage to Sprinters. Also be aware there are often no shoulders on the highway, so triangular reflectors like those required in Europe might be a good idea.

toad
10-22-2010, 03:06 AM
Anyone know for sure if Pemex diesel is OK for the Sprinter all across the country? I seem to recall reading that it is all now low sulpher.
Many gas station don't have diesel, but the quality of the fuel should be ok, DHL, FedEx and many smaller bus companies use Sprinters of all ages without any problems.

ches
10-22-2010, 03:22 AM
I also think you should be okay by now. 2006 and earlier Sprinters are definitely no problem as we have travelled quite a bit in Mexico with our '06. The newer ones "should" be okay also. Where ever you are only fill up at busy stations or the truckstops where you know they pump a lot of fuel. Forget the small towns in the middle of no where. Enjoy your trip and drive safely.

Bajabum
12-04-2010, 07:44 AM
I'd worry more about the water than the fuel. Vaya con Dios, amigo.

Diesel-Power
01-05-2011, 08:36 PM
I work for http://www.sprinter-rentals.com/ in San Diego and they rent sprinters that go to Mexico all the time. In fact there is more Sprinter Vans in Mexico then in the US west coast.
Never i have seen any issue with the fuel. Not on our 2004-2006 series and not on our new Mercedes 2010 models. But i suggest you take some DEF fluid with you or make sure to fill yours before you go on a longer trip down there. Hey. :professor: Why not take a fuel filter with you just in case.

LOTUS
01-27-2011, 05:25 PM
I work for http://www.sprinter-rentals.com/ in San Diego and they rent sprinters that go to Mexico all the time. In fact there is more Sprinter Vans in Mexico then in the US west coast.
Never i have seen any issue with the fuel. Not on our 2004-2006 series and not on our new Mercedes 2010 models. But i suggest you take some DEF fluid with you or make sure to fill yours before you go on a longer trip down there. Hey. :professor: Why not take a fuel filter with you just in case.

I am planning to drive down to Panama. Any "Diesel" news and or recommendations?

1hen2ducks
01-27-2011, 07:01 PM
Just back from Baja in my 2006 T1n.

Not all Pemex stations will offer diesel.

The diesel pumps are ALWAYS on a different island from the gas. (don't even ask how I know that) The handles are black, not green.

The diesel pumps there all say Diesel #2. I didn't notice anything saying "Low Sulphur".

There are lots of American T1n Sprinters roaming Baja. I did not see even one American Ncv3.
But;
http://i.imgur.com/suDBxl.jpg

My T1n runs great on Mexican diesel.

http://i.imgur.com/0xOtpl.jpg

Mike

jcwoos
02-20-2011, 04:27 PM
I understand vehicles will run well on Mexican diesel, I have run my '96 and '05 Mercedes E300D and E320D on that fuel for years. What I can't get a clear answer on is to what extent I can count on Mexican Diesel being Ultra Low Sulfur (not just Low Sulfur) so it does not wreck my $1,500 Diesel Particulate Filter.

Any recent updates on ULSD in Mexico?

John
09 Winnebago 24J

GaryJ
02-20-2011, 05:21 PM
Having driven an 06 Sprinter Motorhome all over Mexico for the last 4 winters, I've never seen any sign on the Pemex pumps to indicate that they are ULSD (ultra low sulfur diesel). This information is current as of April, 2010, as I'm not there this winter. I understand that Mexico imports ULSD from the USA for use in the border areas and Baja, and has plans to introduce it in Mexico City soon.

I've also seen many newer Sprinters there, but they were sold in Mexico and probably don't have the particulate filter. Mexico is very loose on its emission requirements.

Gary

toad
03-15-2011, 04:58 AM
As far as I can see, and drive, there is no problem with the diesel fuel for the Sprinters. I got my 2011 model sprinter late last year in Cancun.
FeDex, DHL and UPS drive Sprinters all over the country.
I would guess you should be ok with our Mexican fuel.

Dogwalker
04-11-2011, 12:58 AM
The Pemex diesel ran great in my van when we bought fuel in San Felipe last year. The only bad thing about that trip was that the fish weren't biting.

smooovsprinter
04-11-2011, 10:07 AM
regarding diesel fuel...check my recent story titled break down...the dealer in richmond calif says bad fuel...looks like biodeisel...has ruined my motor? I might sugguest sampling and pre filtering all fuel prior to feeding any sprinter van...replacing my engine seems like an expensive consequense to fueling at a san francisco,california 76 station. I don't know mierda about how ****ty mexico diesel fuel could be... it can't be any worse than the crap i 76 sold me-complete motor falier....but it has always been an issue for sailors cruzing baja. buenos nachos.

Darrin
07-11-2011, 02:36 AM
Has anyone fitted racor fuel filters on the 5 and or 6 cyl sprinters?

Darrin in Huntington Bch., Ca.

jdcaples
07-11-2011, 03:57 PM
I fitted the RACOR 110A filter in front of my factory fuel filter.

I use the R11s filter media (2 micron).

In selecting an additional fuel filter for a Sprinter you need to consider the following:

Fuel flow through the extra filter (don't choke the factory system) - it better be able to keep up with the expected demands and I'm willing to bet you can't tell me how many liters per hour your Sprinter can consume at full throttle on a 20% grade....

Fuel pressure from the tank (you can't fit a 20 psi filter on the OM647s or OM642 Sprinters - which may exceed 60 psi, if I recall correctly)

inside diameter of the factory filter lines (don't choke the factory system); go bigger, never smaller.

life span of the filter medium (don't set it and forget it).

-Jon

autostaretx
07-11-2011, 06:51 PM
I'm willing to bet you can't tell me how many liters per hour your Sprinter can consume at full throttle on a 20% grade....
My scangauge is happy to provide that info ... where can i find a 20% grade?
(my *guess* is that i hit a peak of about 48 liters per hour in "stressed" situations)
But that's for a T1N. I'm sure NCV3s are thirstier...

--dick

1hen2ducks
07-12-2011, 01:04 AM
OK, It seems to me that all of the chirpy "no problems" accounts of diesel in Mexico have come from T1n owners/drivers or from vehicles purchased in and driven in Mexico.
I know there are a lot of newer Sprinter owners who are fearful of driving in Mexico and in particular in Baja solely because of the fuel issue. (Not the bandits or the corruption, nor the water; we Sprinter drivers are made of sturdier stuff.)
SO
To level the field a bit;
Are there any successful/happy reports of newer, USA purchased, NCV3 ("New Concept Vehicle 3", 2007 and newer) Sprinters traveling to Cabo San Lucas and returning while using only local (Mexican) fuel ?? Any 2010s having done the same trip ? Camping ?
Where there any special precautions that you employed before or during your trip ?
Were there any unsuccessful trips of that nature ? (I'm sure you would have chimed in anyway)

Mike

autostaretx
07-12-2011, 01:11 AM
Are there any successful/happy reports of newer, USA purchased, NCV3

Diesel Power's posting http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=119642&postcount=6 seems to cover a 2010 NCV3

...and i'm pretty sure DogWalker's is NCV3, too.

--dick

1hen2ducks
07-12-2011, 01:49 AM
Those rentals can go a long way on US, San Diego fuel.

4cows

autostaretx
07-12-2011, 02:17 AM
4cows
I was expecting "four limerick oysters"
per http://www.jerrylewiscomedy.com/announcer.htm
(i'm familiar with it being a song that was in the top 40 in the mid 1960's)
thusly: (Warning: this site tries to open annoying pop-ups) http://cubbobwhite.tripod.com/songs/onehen.htm
--dick

1hen2ducks
07-12-2011, 03:18 AM
I hope you find your Oysters Richard. Maybe if you close your eyes and......

On with the topic now;

I'd like to hear from some NCV3 owner/driver, Baja cruisers that can dispel the fuel myths that abound here.

jdcaples
07-12-2011, 04:07 PM
My scangauge is happy to provide that info ... where can i find a 20% grade?
(my *guess* is that i hit a peak of about 48 liters per hour in "stressed" situations)
But that's for a T1N. I'm sure NCV3s are thirstier...

--dick

The most I can consume is somewhere shy of 34 liters per hour and only for a very, very brief number of seconds (like maybe 3).

I forget where the 20% grade is now, but 20% is what one of the control modules reported to StarMOBILE during these tests, which I ran to determine the minimum additional fuel filter capacity. I ended up with a 57 liter per hour, 100 psi rated Racor 110A with the 2 micron 11s filter medium. I bought enough 2 micron filters for about 200,000 miles.

-Jon

rb3232
11-21-2011, 04:54 AM
I looked under a mexican NCV3 last April and it did not have a DPF.

jskakel
04-27-2012, 08:10 PM
Lots of info out there for sure, this too. Still no difinative answer.

http://bajagoodlife.com/2011/08/20/travel-is-ultra-low-sulphur-diesel-ulsd-available-on-baja/

Zubeone
01-15-2013, 12:03 PM
I'll be heading to Bahia de Concepción in Baja next month, and since I've run into the same brick wall of definite information, will bring first hand info on my experience with an NCV3 Sprinter down there.

GaryJ
01-15-2013, 06:00 PM
I looked at a Pemex diesel pump yesterday at a station about 1200 miles down the west coast of the mainland. There was nothing posted on it, or anywhere nearby to indicate ULSD (ultra low sulfur diesel). This was on the main west coast highway in the area.

Gary

israndy
01-15-2013, 06:21 PM
Lots of info out there for sure, this too. Still no difinative answer.

http://bajagoodlife.com/2011/08/20/travel-is-ultra-low-sulphur-diesel-ulsd-available-on-baja/

Maybe try:
http://bajagoodlife.com/travel-is-ultra-low-sulphur-diesel-ulsd-available-on-baja/

-Randy

dukepilot
01-15-2013, 07:30 PM
We (Custom Spooling) have several customers with NCV3 Sprinters who frequently visit Mexico. They installed our DPF Delete Tune as a precaution to prevent fouling their DPF on Pemex diesel fuel. I've received positive feedback from these customers with regard to the performance and reliability of our tunes. Installing our tune involves removing the filter element from the DPF canister. This is not reversible and is not legal for public road use in the USA. Our tuning kit for 2007-2009 NCV3 Sprinter is $1125, not including DPF canister modification. The kit includes a flash tool and a performance tune as well as an economy tune. Contact me, peter@customspooling.com for more info.

HoboN8
01-16-2013, 08:07 PM
In researching this ULSD in post 2006 I came across this article which seems to shed some light on the issue. I hope it helps.

http://www.writeslice.com/RVing-in-Mexico-Take-Your-New-Diesel-Truck-to-Mexico.html

rb3232
01-20-2013, 02:11 AM
Many gas station don't have diesel, but the quality of the fuel should be ok, DHL, FedEx and many smaller bus companies use Sprinters of all ages without any problems.

I looked under a late model Mexican registered NCV3 style VW Crafter in Puerto Vallarta about a year ago and I could not see a DPF. I think it's likely that's why late model Sprinters can drive around Mexico without any problems...

rb3232
01-20-2013, 02:31 AM
As far as I can see, and drive, there is no problem with the diesel fuel for the Sprinters. I got my 2011 model sprinter late last year in Cancun.
FeDex, DHL and UPS drive Sprinters all over the country.
I would guess you should be ok with our Mexican fuel.

Confirm you bought the sprinter new in Cancun. Did it come with a DPF?? Thanks, Ross

jcmadeintheshade@gmail.com
01-20-2013, 07:45 PM
Try again because while composing this reply I somehow got disconnected, Bummer. Anyway try the Baja Nomad site for all things Baja related. From what I have learned there ULSD is only available along the border and close in Baja Norte. Otherwise you can count on LSD. Before I bought my 06 almost three years ago the fleet manager at Balboa dodge in San Diego said the 07up would have problems down there and some have had to be towed back. That convinced me to buy the 06. Some have added an aux. tank to avoid buying any diesel there but what a shame to not take advantage of $3 diesel. Also only buy from the 24 hour larger truck stops to assure fresh diesel. Years ago I didn't and got a bad tank that had to be drained out and cleaned in my old ford van 4by4. The Nomad site has up to date info on road conditions, stations to buy from and not, restaurants to not miss and to miss, hotels to consider and not, places to see and not to miss. When you go go slow, relatively, enjoy the view and la pura vida, and try not to drive at night. Those black cows are dumber than a rock and will turn in whatever direction you are trying to go to avoid them. I once hit one slightly, luckily, but even at 5mph that piece of meat somehow knew which way to turn to so I would not miss him. Go figure. Plus why miss the beautiful scenery anywhere along the way. Happy and safe travels.

krisinak
03-04-2013, 07:32 PM
would it be possible to convert a usa market 2007 & later to mirror the emission set up on a made for mexico sprinter so one could burn LSD without problems? i spend most of the year in an area with ULSD but need a usa registered truck. any knowledge on this? thanks, kris

Zubeone
03-18-2013, 08:22 PM
Just got back from 3 weeks in Baja. I put around 5 tanks of Mexican diesel into my 2008 Sprinter without any noticeable impact on the MPG, performance, or the malfunction notices. I used a ULS diesel additive to keep the injectors clean, but forgot to use it a couple of times, no problem. I went past Mulegé and never found a Pemex station that was marked any different than any other, so I couldn't verify some reports that ULS diesel is available as far as Ensenada. None of the attendants had a clue of the diesel that they were selling. The only issue a couple of times was the unavailability of car-sized nozzles, not a major deal. The price went up while I was down there and it now is at $3.40/gal. Average MPG on a fully loaded Sprinter 2500 DIY conversion was 19.2.

jcmadeintheshade@gmail.com
05-26-2014, 12:25 AM
Pemex is now making their own ULSD at their refineries all over the country. Looks good for the future for 07up sprinters when it appears everywhere down there away from the border regions. This was on the Baja Nomad site but I bet Pemex would have current info too with where and when it will be in all the stations. Thanks to all here.

tadeo1
03-05-2015, 01:14 AM
OK this is my story: 2 round trips from SanFrisco, Ca. to Puerto Vallarta 2,000 miles one way in a 2008/144WB/2500 camper, both times returning to the border, my DPF farted cleaned itself, stinky and hot.
Next I started looking for a solution, found some one in Arizona that makes a straight pipe replacement for the Sprinter DPF, this replacement has all the fittings for the sensors etc. cost is: $500, plus a Programer/Analyzer that you can use to tell the computer to ignore the change but also allows you to change it to factory settings if you install the DPF back, Programer and software is: $700 a total of $1200.
If want info on the replacement, contact me. There is no Ultra Low diesel in Mexico and PEMEX annouced that they will not do it.
I have being in Mexico since July, driving with this change, van runs great. In a few months I will return to California change to DPF and sell this beautiful custom made RV, has 58K miles. I bought a house in Sayulita, 30 min. north of Vallarta, I plan to buy a Mexican Ford Transit van (I can not import the Sprinter cause it is German made) The Mex. Tansit is very different from the USA Transits, it is Diesel 2.2litters, front wheel drive, the interior room is smaller but acceptable for a camper and it is 30MPG, with 6 speeds manual.

tadeo1
03-05-2015, 01:23 AM
Pemex is now making their own ULSD at their refineries all over the country. Looks good for the future for 07up sprinters when it appears everywhere down there away from the border regions. This was on the Baja Nomad site but I bet Pemex would have current info too with where and when it will be in all the stations. Thanks to all here.

PEMEX IS NOT MAKING ULTRA LOW DIESEL AND THEY ANNOUNCED THAT THEY WILL NOT MAKE IT DUE TO COST CUTS. Anyone with a 2007 or later is risking to blow the DPF, please read my post and experiences in Mexico. Mexican Sprinter do not have DPF and also lack half of the smog requirements, are a lot simpler most are long passenger vans used for tourism.

therealnelson
03-22-2016, 03:50 AM
We just returned home after 2+ months of driving in southern Baja without ANY issues on a 2013 sprinter conversion... will post here again if I have DPF/emission related issues.
I drove down this year after seeing lots of 2008+ sprinters around La Ventana.

For me it's worth the risk to drive my camper down and back.
That was best road trip of my life, can't wait til next year!

-Ryan

Acook
11-02-2016, 05:27 AM
I am now on my 3rd trip down from Gorge to BCS. I have a 2014 144 high top. We drive down in fall come back in the spring. Documented the first trip in this Forum in "Just back from Baja" in 2014. Same trip, same experience in 2015. No ULSD south of Jesus Maria, DEF light and eventually CEL come on. Van runs great, never been shut down, but have entered countdown mode. When I return to USA dealer, they replace sensors for free, apologize and mutter about engineering issues w sensors. So far no warning lights yet this trip. Will let all know details when I return.

bajaguy
11-07-2016, 05:26 PM
Just returned from our first trip down Baja with the Sprinter. Researched on the forums and read some didn't have any issues with Pemex diesel. I headed down for the weekend to Gonzaga bay and only needed to fill up in San Felipe headed back home. (Topped off before crossing in Calexico) I had about a 1/4 tank left of US Diesel and filled up a full tank in San Felipe.

Right off the bat my van started acting funky. Mainly the transmission shifting. There was a lag in between shifts (shifting at 2500-3000 rpm) and the van did not want to stay in 7th gear unless I manually shifted it, even then it would drop down to 6th gear when it should'nt be in 6th gear. Pulled up to the border and had a good hour and half wait..ugh

I burned about another 1/4 tank from the idling at the border and poor performance from San Felipe to Calexico. As soon as I crossed the border I topped off the van at 7/11 with US diesel. Almost instantly the van drove normal again and didnt have any more issues the remaining 3 hour drive home.

No CEL and no issues idling by the border with the Pemex diesel but the transmission issues were definitely unnerving.

I have a 2016 Sprinter I4 btw.

Jmolan
11-07-2016, 11:55 PM
I took my 2016 into Mexico. I did not put on the miles I thought I would (we got hit and had to get repaired) The few tanks I ran were no problem. I owned and ran a VW TDI for 10 years in Mexico, we have a winter home there, I never had a problem finding diesel. I would never trust a pump to have ULSD even if it says so, but I would not worry about it after all my research. But that is me, I cannot say the same, as it is a real individual thing. Interesting it is ONLY trucks, no diesel cars in Mexico. I did a bunch of reading, including a few very helpful guys who posted here, and actually ask the service dept. in Tucson if they have EVER had a van limp home. I figured they would see them if they were coming across the border. Here is his answer:

In the last couple weeks we have had 4 Sprinters returning home from Mexico, they only came in for services, no issues with dsl fuel at all, no DEF issues either, 2 came all the way from Cabo San Lucas in Baja
I would say have fun !
Eric Foster
Shop Foreman
Mercedes-Benz of Tucson
6350 E. Grant Rd.
Tucson, AZ. 85715
(520) 886-1311 xt. 5039
ericfoster@chapmantucson.com

San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico

I tried to learn from only "those who have been there" it is so easy t get spooked by a guy saying he heard of a guy who ruined his engine and it got robbed by bandits and was left alongside the road....:)

Ted shot me this email before. I also gave him my findings when I returned: This guy is REALLY into it. Here is front page, feel free to email him.

http://bajamary.com/media/Mexico-Diesel.php

Ted is a guy who logs and keeps track of all Vehicles going in and out of Mexico. This is his rather long email to me. From his advise I made sure to keep it "wound up" rather than dog it, trying to keep up the stack temps.

This will be a long reply to your questions about your 2016 Mercedes Sprinter.

First let me say that all of my usable data comes from people with first hand experience driving their own vehicles in Mexico, and not from opinions, theories, or third party horror stories. (I attempt to follow up on any and every "horror story" that crosses my desk and have almost always found them to be third party inaccurate or fabricated stories from folks who have often never been to Mexico and/or don't even own the type of vehicle being discussed).

Up until recently, my standard response to ALL Sprinter owners making enquiries was to say that LOTS of people bring Mercedes Sprinters in to Mexico and never have any sulfur-in-fuel related problems while using Mexican diesel fuel. This is because Sprinters, just like the big diesel pushers, have engines that are under constant load, in order to move a fully loaded vehicle along the highway. This typically keeps exhaust gas temperatures high enough (above 400 degs C) to prevent sulfur compounds from depositing in the DPF or DPF/SCR.

In the 8 years that I have been collecting data I had never received a report of a Sprinter, irrespective of model year or engine, suffering problems due to sulfur in the fuel until March of 2015. It was at that time that the owner of a 2014 Sprinter reported a bad experience with Mexican fuel. His situation may not necessarily apply to any other model years, and appears to have been a one-off situation, but should be kept in mind when owners of DEF equipped Sprinters consider taking their Sprinters in to Mexico.

Prior to traveling in to the Baja, this particular owner was told by his local Sprinter technician that he would have no problems with the higher sulfur Mexican diesel, but shortly after refueling in the Southern Baja the DEF warning light came on for a while. He was worried about that development, but a short time later the light went off again, which is consistent with the vehicle having completed a regeneration cycle. (The regeneration process would have burned the sulfur compounds out of the emissions system).

Around 600 miles later the DEF light came on again, and shortly after that the Check Engine light came on as well. Things then deteriorated to a warning message that he had 500 miles and 15 starts until limp mode speed restriction, progressing over time to just 9 starts left as he used the vehicle on the Baja.

He then began the trip north to the border, and by the time he reached Tecate he was seeing a warning of just 6 starts until limp mode. After crossing back in to the USA he headed for San Diego where he had to turn the engine off while stuck in traffic. The next time he turned the engine on all of the warnings disappeared and things were back to normal. (This is again consistent with the vehicle having completed a regeneration which burned the sulfur contaminants out of the emissions system).

Based on this owner's experience, there is an ongoing risk that owners of 2014 and later model Sprinters who bring their vehicles in to Mexico could find themselves in a similar situation, even though I have never received any further reports of problems from Sprinter owners.

I did have several exchanges of information with the Sprinter owner mentioned above, and I believe at this time that there is reasonable evidence that a Sprinter will not deteriorate to "limp mode". It seems very likely that a regeneration will always occur, resetting the emissions monitoring system to normal.

Yes, it could be a bit stressful, but the condition does appear to be self correcting. We won't know for sure until there is some more data available from late model Sprinter owners. In this regard, if you do decide to drive further in to Mexico I would greatly appreciate hearing about your experience. Sharing the knowledge helps owners to make good decisions.

As for the availability of ULSD in the areas you plan to visit, there is no ULSD except in Guadalajara, should you decide to go there from PV.

Bottom line, if it was my 2016 Sprinter, I would continue with my trip until a serious message such as 500 miles and 15 starts appeared. If that happened, I would immediately head back to the USA or the nearest source of ULSD, such as Guadalajara.

FYI, experiments I have run on several diesel pickup trucks indicates that a mixture of 50/50 ULSD and Mexican LSD never causes fault codes. Therefore, if you can occasionally use ULSD and/or a 50/50 mix I believe that there is good evidence that you will never see a check engine light or speed limitation warning due to sulfur in the fuel.

Over to you.

Ted

bajaguy
11-08-2016, 01:06 AM
Thanks JMolan. I did see your previous posts stating you didnt have any issue with your 2016 so I was stoked to read that before I made the trip. I did see some newer style Sprinters in Baja along the highway so who knows.

I hear you on third acocount stories. Add mine to the list as a true account from some one who has actually been down there and used Pemex LSD with a newer Sprinter. I plan to drive down to Cabo next year or following but definitely some shorter trips next year are planned. I am really not deterrred from my experience. I will probably bring a couple gallons of ULSD so I can mix it with Pemex LSD just in case unless I hear more from others and some Diesel Kleen.

Besides the Sprinter is a an awesome vehicle in Baja! Plan to upgrade the suspension though with some Fox shox for some of those nasty roads though!

https://i.imgsafe.org/1243c9999a.jpg
https://i.imgsafe.org/124413723f.jpg
https://i.imgsafe.org/125441a45f.jpg

krisinak
01-12-2017, 07:46 PM
pexex stations along the border, and half way down baja have ULSD. other than that, its all LSD. the mexican sprinters have an entirely different emissions system than nafta sprinters. btw i live in south baja with my '05 2500 sprinter.

Mrdi
01-12-2017, 11:04 PM
pexex stations along the border, and half way down baja have ULSD. other than that, its all LSD. the mexican sprinters have an entirely different emissions system than nafta sprinters. btw i live in south baja with my '05 2500 sprinter.

Which town farthest south for ULSD?

krisinak
01-17-2017, 06:54 PM
jesus maria (about 25 miles north of guerrero negro, which is the state line between BC and BCS)

Roberto Valdez Chacon
01-20-2017, 01:48 AM
hi to all the members. the information in this forum is very good, i am really happy to be here. i do not speak or write good, i am sorry. here in México my sprinter van never have problems with the diesel fuel, but is necesary do the oil changes with more frecuency because the fuel have sulphur and the manual have information of that. drain the water filter because 80 liters of diesel have 2 or 3 mililiters of water. The diesel of this country work good with may van the 80 000 miles i am driving it.

bajaguy
05-08-2017, 04:08 AM
http://www.mexicocaravan.com/ulsd.php

Here is a link I found with an Excel sheet provided by Pemex March this year on which stations have ULSD. You can open the Excel sheet and cross reference it with Pemex's station locator. Did some spot checking and like discussed earlier even the Pemex list confirms there is no ULSD in Baja Sur.

The station at Villa De Jesus Maria was thought to be the last station with ULSD but it looks like the station right before the Baja Norte/sur border just before Guerro Nuegro is ULSD as well. I just came back from a trip down to Loreto and brought 15 gallons with me so did not need to fill back up till I made my way back north and filled up at Villa de Jesus Maria. No issues this trip. Van ran great.

Pemex is saying all stations by December 2018 will be ULSD. On the excel list as well are plenty of stations on mainland Mexico that have ULSD.

Niceguy12
07-31-2017, 12:20 AM
I am not clear
What is the problem with Mexican diesel if any?

What about the Promaster diesel
Do they work on Mexican Fuel?
Thanks

Mrdi
07-31-2017, 12:57 AM
The Contention:
The sulfur content in Mexican Diesel is too high to burn in the new diesel engines.
Hi sulfur content clogs the emission control system and may leave you
with "limp home' mode, or leave you stranded. NO START.
Diesel #2 that is common here in the States is ultra low sulfur.(ULSD)
Diesels engines that are sold in Mx, may not have the same emission
requirements/components and can burn the higher sulfur fuels.

DirtDogg
09-07-2017, 06:24 AM
http://www.mexicocaravan.com/ulsd.php

Here is a link I found with an Excel sheet provided by Pemex March this year on which stations have ULSD. You can open the Excel sheet and cross reference it with Pemex's station locator. Did some spot checking and like discussed earlier even the Pemex list confirms there is no ULSD in Baja Sur.

The station at Villa De Jesus Maria was thought to be the last station with ULSD but it looks like the station right before the Baja Norte/sur border just before Guerro Nuegro is ULSD as well. I just came back from a trip down to Loreto and brought 15 gallons with me so did not need to fill back up till I made my way back north and filled up at Villa de Jesus Maria. No issues this trip. Van ran great.

Pemex is saying all stations by December 2018 will be ULSD. On the excel list as well are plenty of stations on mainland Mexico that have ULSD.

Bajaguy, thanks for this information. Is there any concrete confirming all Pemex will carry ULSD by 12/08?

Adios Pantalones
01-06-2018, 01:52 PM
Just back from Baja 1-1-18. Driving a 2016 4x4.

At current, ultra low sulphur (ultra bajo) is available south to Villa Jesus y Maria. Just north of Guerrero Negro.

As stated above, most fuel in Baja Norte comes from the US. In Baja Sur, It's sourced from mainland Mex.

South to Cabo is only low sulphur. I have anecdotal reports of running that with no problems.
I however, took 25 gallons with me from VJM. I mixed 50/50 while south of there.

No problems at all.

All other reports of US spec vehicles having any issues come from extended low speed, low temp operation. (poking around town, sitting in traffic, etc.)

For extended trips, take your own DEF. I saw none for sale in Mex.

therealnelson
04-26-2018, 11:35 PM
1st hand experience with a 2013 Sprinter: 3rd Year in a row in Mexico... This time the van was in southern Baja from November to April. I will post on this thread if we have any DPF or SCR/emission related issues. All we use is Diesel Power Solutions Cetane Boost on the tank about every month or so. I could be doing everything wrong, but so far the van runs great at 55K miles on the engine. There was a rumor around town that there was ULSD at a station in La Paz but I never confirmed it or fueled up at the station. It seems there are a LOT of stories but few recent 1st hand experiences from members about fuel in Baja causing issues.
-ryan

Mrdi
04-27-2018, 04:47 PM
Is this the Diesel Power Solutions you are using?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/03080-06-Power-Service-Diesel-Kleen-Cetane-Boost-80-oz/273030942092?epid=28013341961&hash=item3f91e98d8c:g:kFsAAOSw-SBaqxsg

therealnelson
04-27-2018, 06:39 PM
Is this the Diesel Power Solutions you are using?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/03080-06-Power-Service-Diesel-Kleen-Cetane-Boost-80-oz/273030942092?epid=28013341961&hash=item3f91e98d8c:g:kFsAAOSw-SBaqxsg

Yes I get it in a smaller container. Be careful not to breathe any fumes and to store it carefully because it's pretty nasty smelling stuff.

Cheers,
Ryan