PDA

View Full Version : running out of fuel ncv3

gary 32
08-26-2010, 03:54 PM
2 new records (1) for fuel pumped and (1) for my stupidity.

25.1 gallons at one fill up. My instant range display went from 13 miles last night to 11 miles this morning at start up then after driving about 100 yards, to 0. My nearest station is 0.9 miles downhill from my house. I pulled in to fill up, the van was running, I shut the motor off and filled the tank, then no restart.

I of course proceeded with calm and logic; my first move was to spill coffee in my lap.

I then turned the key to position 2 a total of seven times (30 seconds each) for self priming, (just like when you change your fuel filter) with several staring tries in between. The beast finally started and ran normally. :bow:

If you do somehow manage to run out of fuel just remember the self prime feature.

The manual, (which I came to work and read on line), suggests you only let your Sprinter go through the self prime cycle twice with start attempts in between, then panic and contact a workshop...

Mrdi
08-26-2010, 04:03 PM
How many miles showed on the odometer for the 25.1 fill?
What type of driving was typical for the use of that fuel?

david_42
08-26-2010, 04:11 PM
I've had a few 24+ fills on my TIN, but I get really nervous when the low light comes on. The closest station is 11 miles.

Mrdi
08-26-2010, 06:24 PM
The last 3 icons on my dash indicating fuel volume disappear in less than 20 miles.
The gauge is certainly not linear, and the height of the icons is indicative of that non-linearity.
My experience:
NCV3 owners should start looking for fuel at about 400 miles.

In general I try to stop and fill at 1/2 tank given a good opportunity ($$), but my vehicle is pleasure only.

KMDE
08-26-2010, 06:34 PM
We just got back from a trip and pushed it to 417, but could have done maybe 20-30 more (I think).
We filled up 25.6 gallons I was shocked. Looks like low fuel comes on at 300 you can take that to 375 before the last black bar goes away. This is on our 2010 with 13xxx
I was also running ac the entire tank.

gary 32
08-27-2010, 12:17 AM
How many miles showed on the odometer for the 25.1 fill?
What type of driving was typical for the use of that fuel?

I don't always remember to reset the trip meter @ fill-up, but I would guess 475-525 mixed miles.
My mileage may be better or worse than others. (not the reason this thread)

My Sprinter is a 2007 144 PV, regular roof with 22B package, I have only one round light for low fuel that goes on with 1/4 tank left. My instant display for miles left in a tank is usually real accurate.

After carefully checking the accuracy of my instant display over a period of time, I feel comfortable fueling my Sprinter when 40-60 miles of fuel is left. Running dry was not something I planned but if this ever happens again I will know exactly how to re start my Sprinter.

I will think twice about buying fuel at other nearby stations where more than 25 gallons is indicated and charged for...

michaelrking
08-27-2010, 12:24 AM
I ran my 07 long/high to 1/8 tank as indicated on the gauge, I put about 22 gallons in, if the tank is 28 gallons(?) that would have been 6 gallons left. Being that I was in West Texas, the official capitol of nowhere, I was a bit leery of pushing it too far.

Altered Sprinter
08-27-2010, 12:39 AM
LOL you had fuel to spare in the tank and lines,
100Litres = 26.4172 U.S L gallons.
Richard

michaelrking
08-27-2010, 12:58 AM
Well, now that I think about it, I've seen pics of the interior of Australia that make west Texas look positively urban ;-).

gary 32
08-27-2010, 01:29 AM
LOL you had fuel to spare in the tank and lines,
100Litres = 26.4172 U.S L gallons.
Richard

Richard you're right.

I remember twice putting slightly over 26 gallons in the beast.
I have never run my tank as close to empty as last evening and that puppy was dry according to the German computer, so it could never be wrong, right? (frickin ncv3's)

This is now my personal Chevron station on the corner of PCH and West Channel in Santa Monica where 25.1 gallons becomes 26.4 so don't ask because I won't tell where it is.

Glad you found your sense of humor again.

punter
08-27-2010, 01:37 AM
Richard you're right.

I remember twice putting slightly over 26 gallons in the beast.
I have never run my tank as close to empty as last evening and that puppy was dry according to the German computer, so it could never be wrong, right? (frickin ncv3's)

This is now my personal Chevron station on the corner of PCH and West Channel in Santa Monica where 25.1 gallons becomes 26.4 so don't ask because I won't tell where it is.

Glad you found your sense of humor again.

If Mercedes is unwilling to give us the OM651, they could at least do a 50 gallon tank.

blakej59
08-27-2010, 11:31 AM
Ditto on the 50-gallon tank.

Altered Sprinter
08-27-2010, 12:08 PM
How about a 100 gallons :lol:
Richard

david_42
08-28-2010, 03:42 PM
50 gallons? There have only been two occasions when I've fueled twice in one day. Both on a trip to the SF bay area, 11 hours at 65-75 mph. My old Class C RV had a 55 gallon tank and my Sprinter goes twice as far on half the fuel.

My low-level light kicks in at 10%. That may be 50-60 miles, but I'm not willing to risk it. My wife's car has an electrical problem in the dash and the gauges keep failing, ditto the odometer; so, I have no idea how much fuel is available. Makes me crazy, but we haven't been able to track the problem down.

gary 32
08-31-2010, 02:55 PM
My resulting question:

What is the best way to restart a dry Sprinter?

Logic says the calibration was off at the pump 25.1 gallons pumped vs a capacity of 26.4.
Or I entered the Sprinter twilight zone.
I have pumped 26+ gallons into this Sprinter a few times...

Mrdi
08-31-2010, 03:34 PM
Well since the size of the tank is a constant and the fuel pump said 25.1....
You have pumped over 26 gallons previously, we may be getting
inaccurate fuel measurement from our suppliers. Do you think with the Gov't watchdogs monitoring these measures, that this could be possible? :thinking:
1.5 gallons per fill is $5.
I like your station better than mine.

jdcaples
09-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Has anyone ever seen a pump down for calibration?

I've seen pumps down for nozzle repair, hose replacement and for a "face lift."

I don't think I've ever seen anyone pumping fuel into a graduated cylinder to check real volume against the numbers reported by the fuel dispensing pump.

You'd think I'd have seen that in 30 some odd years of buying fuel.....

-Jon

Diamondsea
09-01-2010, 04:19 PM
I have seen it several times in my life in various states. The "Bureau of Weights and Measures" or similar name pumps into a calibrated narrow neck 5 gallon container. They then pour the fuel back into the underground tank. The same folks check the scales in the food markets, etc.

Aqua Puttana
09-02-2010, 03:23 PM
This is really a T1N experience, but thought I'd share.

Stopped by the Rez last night for fuel. Yellow triangle low fuel had just come on. My son was driving, pulled up and didn't shut down the engine. Part way through the fill up he noticed we were running. I said something like "It's diesel, we don't need to panic" and just left it running.

Put in $30.00 worth which was over 10 gallons. As I pulled away I noticed the yellow fuel triangle was still on and we only were at about 1/4 tank on the gauge which I knew was way low. I pulled over, shut down for a bit and restarted. The gauge was above 1/2 and the yellow light was now out.

I have no insight, just the observation. I can't imagine why the gauge didn't go up or why the yellow light stayed on even with the gauge above 1/4 tank. The sender arm must have risen, so it seems it's a computer glitch?

I know.... it's bad to fuel up while running. We don't normally do that. FWIW. vic

Mrdi
09-02-2010, 08:28 PM
Normal
In my NCV I pulled into a station with the yellow light just on and purchased only $20 with the intent of filling at my regular station the following day.
The engine was off while filling.
Re start and the yellow remained on during the 2 mile journey home.
Next morning at restart it registered the new fuel.

KimolosMike
09-02-2010, 10:22 PM
Be constantly alert to poor calibration of pumps. I've learnt to trust my trip computer. After 400kms at an average 10 litres/100kms I expect the tank to take 40 litres. When the pump says it put in 45 litres I know I'm being ripped off big time.
A couple of years back one of the TV shows did independent calibration checks at fuel stations. They found something like 70% outside acceptable limits, and of those only 20% were in favour of the motorist. Go figure.

Chandlerazman
09-02-2010, 10:26 PM
I once refueled my van while it was running (NCV3) and the check engine light illuminated. Took about 7 re-starts to clear it. This was before I had any monitoring gadgets to tell me what code was stored.

twistyroad
09-03-2010, 06:13 PM
This is really a T1N experience, but thought I'd share.

Stopped by the Rez last night for fuel. Yellow triangle low fuel had just come on. My son was driving, pulled up and didn't shut down the engine. Part way through the fill up he noticed we were running. I said something like "It's diesel, we don't need to panic" and just left it running.

Put in $30.00 worth which was over 10 gallons. As I pulled away I noticed the yellow fuel triangle was still on and we only were at about 1/4 tank on the gauge which I knew was way low. I pulled over, shut down for a bit and restarted. The gauge was above 1/2 and the yellow light was now out.

I have no insight, just the observation. I can't imagine why the gauge didn't go up or why the yellow light stayed on even with the gauge above 1/4 tank. The sender arm must have risen, so it seems it's a computer glitch?

I know.... it's bad to fuel up while running. We don't normally do that. FWIW. vic

Normal
In my NCV I pulled into a station with the yellow light just on and purchased only $20 with the intent of filling at my regular station the following day.
The engine was off while filling.
Re start and the yellow remained on during the 2 mile journey home.
Next morning at restart it registered the new fuel.

In order to keep the fuel gauge from bouncing around every time the fuel in the tank sloshes, they build hysteresis into vehicle fuel quantity indicating systems. In some vehicles, it's only a few seconds; in the Sprinter, it seems to be a few minutes.