PDA

View Full Version : Scan gauge II not shutting off,,,Question

icarus
08-23-2010, 04:53 AM
I have a Scan gauge II installed in my 08 V6. Quite often, the scan gauge will not shut off. Hours after shutting the vehicle down, the gauge is still back lit, and the display is still showing battery voltage on the gauge screen. I am concerned about battery drain in the long term, as we park the vehicle in a remote, unattended state failry often for a number of weeks at a time. I really don't wish to unplug the gauge all the time, since it has taken be a bit to get it dialed for the van.

Any ideas?

Icarus

Altered Sprinter
08-23-2010, 05:01 AM
Seems you have spliced into a mains direct active line.
Place an inline on/off switch.
Richard

icarus
08-23-2010, 05:06 AM
.A Scan Gauge just plugs into the OBDI port, so there is nowhere else to plug it in. The cable between the OBDI port and the gauge is a multiple conductor data cable so there is no real way to put a switch. Besides, adding a switch would be like un-plugging the Gauge, resulting in loss of data or having to have the unit reprogrammed each time.

Altered Sprinter
08-23-2010, 05:44 AM
OK! you will find the ecu has active power, can you probe the socket or part of your wiring to do either a noid light test, or an active pulse test,even a voltage test will show voltage draw of activity.
My van is a Tin NXCV should be the same.
Richard

autostaretx
08-23-2010, 05:46 AM
The ScanGauge -should- drop to low power mode a few seconds after the engine stops (it does on my T1N).
Perhaps a call/email to Linear Logic is in order?
www.scangauge.com
(please keep us posted re: results)

good luck
--dick
p.s. the ScanGauge is never "unpowered", it can be brought alive by tapping the "Home" button, even with the key out.
I don't know if its "off when engine off" function is by watching the "engine running" pin on the OBD socket, or by interpreting some specific OBD signalling.

Altered Sprinter
08-23-2010, 05:50 AM
Good cal Dick:thumbup: makes sense to me.
Richard

icarus
08-23-2010, 02:05 PM
The ScanGauge -should- drop to low power mode a few seconds after the engine stops (it does on my T1N).
Perhaps a call/email to Linear Logic is in order?
www.scangauge.com
(please keep us posted re: results)

good luck
--dick
p.s. the ScanGauge is never "unpowered", it can be brought alive by tapping the "Home" button, even with the key out.
I don't know if its "off when engine off" function is by watching the "engine running" pin on the OBD socket, or by interpreting some specific OBD signalling.

Thanks guys,

I have a note into linear logic and I will keep in touch with what they say. I am leaving on a Trans continental trip today, and will be off line for a number of days, perhaps weeks, so it may be a while before I can up date. I guess I never considered that fact that it was "live" all the time. Makes sense when you think about it.

Icarus

bc339
08-23-2010, 02:55 PM
Did you try your scan gage in another vehicle to see if it;s doing the same thing?
Bruce

NBB
08-23-2010, 05:36 PM
Did you try your scan gage in another vehicle to see if it;s doing the same thing?
Bruce

That's where I would go.

I'm not aware of a "engine running pin" in the port, just CAN, power, etc. However, if such a pin exists, it could be bent.

It's unlikely there is a problem with the unit itself.

The memory is non-volatile. It should remember after unplugging.

Most electrical issues are around connectors. They are the most exposed to wear and corrosion.

wayneskid
08-23-2010, 05:48 PM
FWIW, here's the pinout for ODBII the connector.

1. -
2. Bus positive Line of SAE-J1850
3. -
4. Chassis ground
5. Signal ground
6. CAN high (ISO 15765-4 and SAE-J2234)
7. K line of ISO 9141-2 and ISO 14230-4
8. -
9. -
10. Bus negative Line of SAE-J1850
11. -
12. -
13. -
14. CAN low (ISO 15765-4 and SAE-J2234)
15. L line of ISO 9141-2 and ISO 14230-4
16. Battery voltage

autostaretx
08-23-2010, 07:43 PM
I'm not aware of a "engine running pin" in the port,
FWIW, here's the pinout for ODBII the connector.
I didn't have a detailed pinout for the NCV3 OBD connector.
On the T1N's, the pinout is:
1 - K-SKREEM
2 - (not used)
3 - Speed Signal VSS/TN (2nd K-ECM)
4 - Vehicle Ground
5 - Electronics Ground
6 - (not used)
7 - K-ECM
8 - Power Circuit 15/87 (Ignit +) (fuse 5, block 1) <-- the "engine running" one i was referring to
9 - K-ABS/ASR/ESP + ESM
10 - (not used)
11 - K-TCM
12 - K-VTSS + CTM + CHM
13- Airbag (K-SRS)
14 - (not used)
15 - K-IC + ATC + HBM
16 - Power Circuit 30 (Battery +)(fuse 6, block 2)

..so, as you can see, there are a number of diagnostic K lines (direct wires to submodules) that the NCV3 doesn't have, since the NCV3 provides direct OBD-socket access to one of the CAN buses.

--dick

wayneskid
08-23-2010, 10:08 PM
I didn't have a detailed pinout for the NCV3 OBD connector.
..so, as you can see, there are a number of diagnostic K lines (direct wires to submodules) that the NCV3 doesn't have, since the NCV3 provides direct OBD-socket access to one of the CAN buses.
--dick

To avoid confusing anyone, the pinout I posted was a generic one and not specific to the NCV3. Note that the CAN bus lines are on pins 6 & 14. As I understand it the NCV3 doesn't have the K lines because the nodes/sensors/modules communicate on the CAN only. I don't know which or if any of the other pins are used by the NCV3. Sorry for any confusion.

Wayne

autostaretx
08-23-2010, 10:55 PM
I dug up a third party (i.e. not official MB Service Manual) wiring diagram for the 2007 Sprinter.
It only shows 7 wires connected to the OBD socket.
They are:
3 - from ECM (not a CAN bus line)
4 - ground
5 - ground (both ground lines tie to one bolt on frame)
6 - Diagnostic CAN Bus C (+)
8 - "always hot" Fuse 14 in Fuse/Relay Block (behind Left kick panel)
14 - Diagnostic CAN Bus C (-)
16 - "always hot" Fuse 2 in Fuse Block 1 (top of Fuse/relay block)

--dick