PDA

View Full Version : Which diesel heater should I get?

rb3232
08-21-2010, 08:42 PM
I'm interested in opinions on the Espar D2 Airtronic, Espar D5 Hydronic or maybe the diesel stove heater or other suggestions. This is for cabin heat while parked in my NCV3 without my key in the ignition. Thanks, Ross

mendonsy
08-21-2010, 10:00 PM
Our setup came equipped with an Espar D2 to heat the rear of the van. It works quite well in the winter. It keeps our water tanks from freezing down to around zero degrees F.
Plan on one trip per year to the dealer to have it tuned up though. It is not really that expensive and worth it.:2cents:

ebsprintin
08-21-2010, 10:24 PM
I went with the D4 and am very happy with it's performance after one full year of use. I even used it once in June.

eb

Diamondsea
08-22-2010, 12:28 AM
Heat rises so it is best at the floor level. I am very happy with my Espar D2 Airtronic under the passenger seat blowing out across the floor towards the back. Heats up very fast. A diesel stove will make the upper area hot and it will be ice cold at the floor level.

mean_in_green
08-22-2010, 05:54 AM
I'm interested in opinions on the Espar D2 Airtronic, Espar D5 Hydronic or maybe the diesel stove heater or other suggestions. This is for cabin heat while parked in my NCV3 without my key in the ignition. Thanks, Ross

I have a Webasto Airtop 2000D with seven day comfort timer in my NCV3. Whenever I've asked someone more knowledgeable than me about auxiliary heat the same two points recur: buy diesel to air because they're more durable than the water type and buy Webasto over Eberspascher if you intend to have it a long time.

Whichever make you buy into having the comfort timer or the pager is a good idea.

cedarsanctum
08-22-2010, 04:38 PM
I have a Wallas diesel stove/heater combo and would not do it again. The stove works great at close to sea level, but above 2000 feet begins to have trouble, it's not able to run down to low setting without going out.
The heater lid is terrible. The fan is noisy and it smells like burning rubber when it's running.
Webasto sells a stove that is the same but with an altitude compensator switch and no heater lid available. If i get to do it again, that's the stove i would go for, along with an Espar D2 airtronic for heat.
Jef

piper1
08-23-2010, 08:49 PM
I'll second the Webasto recommendation. Love my AirTop and have found them very reliable over the years.

AlaskanAlpine
08-24-2010, 03:14 AM
Also have the Webasto 2000D and love it.

Krenovian
08-24-2010, 02:41 PM
Here's another vote for the Webasto Airtop 2000D.

mean_in_green
08-25-2010, 09:45 PM
Forgot to mention: if you do go this way I posted a diagram showing how to convert the standard Webasto loom from rotary to comfort timer, a quick search will find it.