PDA

View Full Version : Sliding Door Won't Open From Inside

Old Crows
08-20-2010, 02:55 PM
Would anyone have an idea why our Sprinter/Four Winds slider door will not unlatch from the inside? The engine is off so it's not the interlock. Opens fine from the outside. Unlocks with the key fob. Inside handle/button thingie just won't unlatch to slide door open.

Any thoughts, Gents?

hkpierce
08-20-2010, 04:35 PM
Assuming you are talking about a T1N:

Sounds like the interior handle has either slipped off the bar or broke. The interior handle is plastic and has a notch that fits over a bar so that when you pull/rotate the inside handle it moves the bar and connecting cable. Pull the plug on the handle, remove the two screws, and look.

photoadjuster
08-20-2010, 05:59 PM
The bar (metal tab) is light weight metal and bents very easily. I have to remove the inside handle twice a year and straighten it to the vertical postion so it will work. I have also had to replace the stupid plastic handle twice.

Just another poor design by MB.

Old Crows
08-21-2010, 03:10 PM
:bash: Sorry... I should have mentioned it's a 2009/2010 "DODGE" Sprinter. It has a Four Winds RV built in/on/around it.

Old Crows
08-21-2010, 03:11 PM
Assuming you are talking about a T1N:

Sounds like the interior handle has either slipped off the bar or broke. The interior handle is plastic and has a notch that fits over a bar so that when you pull/rotate the inside handle it moves the bar and connecting cable. Pull the plug on the handle, remove the two screws, and look.

Sorry..... its a 2009/2010 "Dodge" with the OM-642 oil burner.

Thanks everyone for the help! :bow:

Old Crows
08-21-2010, 06:05 PM
Thanks Gents!!!

I pulled the handle off .... praising the Germanic Gods and VW ..... that I had the right size metric 'star burst thingie' screw driver doo-dah to get the handle off.

Actually, mine is different than described above. There's two 'bicycle type' cables attached to the back of the 'push button'. The outer sheath on the release cable had come adrift from its 'keeper' on the back of the handle. Thus, the inner cable could move but wouldn't 'work' against the outer cable to pull the release. It pressed back into the 'keeper' and its now working fine.

It was a 15 minute job.... mostly due to the heat.

Thanks again!!

:cheers:

Old Crows
08-25-2010, 05:22 PM
Permanent fix!!! That dang'd Bowden cable came half adrift and the door wouldn't open again..... So, I fixed it! I put the black cable back in its retainer then I took a wire tie and put it around the two cables being careful to put it well up on the white one so it wouldn't slip down and off the latch mechanism. I snugged it up just enough for it to hold the black cable firmly in place. Now it will not jump out of its catchment when the door is slammed to.

German engineering.... American ingenuity!!!! :rad:

Ovalmaster
05-18-2011, 01:39 PM
Hi Old crow,
I just found your post about the door when I scrolled down more in the search. Are you able to easily post pics on how you fixed your door for good. I am having the same problem, and I now realized I remember the other day my wife slammed the sliding door way too hard because she was aggravated by the kids and it was raining. Wait till I tell she broke it! lol. I just noticed it today. Its raining today, so I'm not in a rush. Anyone else have this problem?
Thanks

businessgypsy
05-23-2011, 03:12 PM
I've got the exact same issue, MB Naples are fixing under warranty but had to order a cable. Would love to see pics/breakdown of your fix also!

Old Crows
05-23-2011, 03:34 PM
Hi Old crow,
I just found your post about the door when I scrolled down more in the search. Are you able to easily post pics on how you fixed your door for good. I am having the same problem, and I now realized I remember the other day my wife slammed the sliding door way too hard because she was aggravated by the kids and it was raining. Wait till I tell she broke it! lol. I just noticed it today. Its raining today, so I'm not in a rush. Anyone else have this problem?
Thanks

Sorry Guys! I didn't take photos at the time. I'd have to take the handle out again to get photos. It's really pretty simple. These 'bicycle' type cables only work when the outer cable is fixed at both ends. The inner cable works the release mechanism. Problems occur when the cable comes adrift at the door handle.

The outer cable snaps into a U shaped retainer on the bracket (inside door) holding the handle and release button. The open part of the U faces forward and slamming the door too hard causes the cable to whip out of the retainer (IMHO). Ours came out a couple of times before I came up with this fix....

Take a small wire tie and put it around the cable and the bracket (there may be a handy hole to thread through, I don't recall...) push the cable into the retaining U clip and snug the wire tie pulling it into the clip. You want it to be snug enough that the outer cable does not pop out of the retainer and is held firmly.... but not overly tight... in the retainer.

One tiny wire tie was all I used. So far it's held up to a lot of door closings.:popcorn: