PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter Change tip

HappyFamilyVan
08-19-2010, 05:05 AM
Just changed my fuel filter....I stole the pic below from Kmessinger...but I added the arrow.
Please note the top of the WIF....if you push in the two white clips and pull up...the top (with the wire attached) seperates from the shaft of the WIF. This makes its very easy now to remove the fuel filter in a vertical postion and not having to tip it. Once the filter is out then you can remove the shaft of the WIF from the filter.

Since no fuel was spilled in the removal process, I removed the filter vertically with no tilting...I used this fuel (from the old filter) to prime my new filter.
Now...as an after thought, I think that may be a bad idea...but the fuel was clear with a yellowish tint..I assume diesal is that color.

icarus
08-19-2010, 05:43 AM
Personally, I don't think I would use fuel from the old filter to prime the new one. Any water or possibly other contaminants might transfer from one filter to the other. Since the filter primes so well anyway, why take the chance?

Icarus

flman
08-19-2010, 10:21 AM
Personally, I don't think I would use fuel from the old filter to prime the new one. Any water or possibly other contaminants might transfer from one filter to the other. Since the filter primes so well anyway, why take the chance?

Icarus

X2 that is a big no no, defeats the whole purpose of the filter change. But thanks for the tip on the plug.

icarus
08-19-2010, 04:59 PM
Just changed my fuel filter....I stole the pic below from Kmessinger...but I added the arrow.
Please note the top of the WIF....if you push in the two white clips and pull up...the top (with the wire attached) seperates from the shaft of the WIF. This makes its very easy now to remove the fuel filter in a vertical postion and not having to tip it. Once the filter is out then you can remove the shaft of the WIF from the filter.

Since no fuel was spilled in the removal process, I removed the filter vertically with no tilting...I used this fuel (from the old filter) to prime my new filter.
Now...as an after thought, I think that may be a bad idea...but the fuel was clear with a yellowish tint..I assume diesal is that color.

Please describe how you unplugged it. I have removed the clip, but couldn't figure out how to get the plug out. Knowing MB engineering I know it should be simple, but I couldn't figure it out!

Icarus

comet429
08-19-2010, 05:12 PM
Please describe how you unplugged it. I have removed the clip, but couldn't figure out how to get the plug out. Knowing MB engineering I know it should be simple, but I couldn't figure it out!

Icaruspull with a slight twist

HappyFamilyVan
08-20-2010, 11:54 AM
After having second thoughts and thinking that I did a no-no by using the fuel from the old filter to prime the new one, I called several Sprinter techs. I called both Dodge and MB dealers to speak with the techs. You can imagin, I did not get to speak with the tech directly, but all took my name and number and the tech called me back later in the day. ALL, every one of them, both Dodge and MB stated that they use the fuel from the old filter to prime the new one. Note: two dealers that post on this forum had their service departments called...they also reuse the fuel. When I ask why, the answers were..."unless the WIF sensor light is on, no water in the filter"..."contaments in the fuel are filtered out by the filter and caught in the media, not suspended in the fuel"..."unlike oil, fuel is not recirrculated by the engine so that the fuel that came out of the filter, was fresh from the tank"...."why waste the fuel"...

For me in the future....I do not think I will reuse...but interesteing to note...I did it just like the pros :hmmm:

Another tip, thought about this as an after thought....before starting the fuel change process...you can drain the fuel filter through the WIF drain...dah...why did I not think of that before..:thinking:

jdcaples
08-20-2010, 04:42 PM
The system is self priming.

After I button down the clamps for lines and the bracket that hugs the filter housing, you can turn the key to position 2 (just before "start") and leave it alone for 30 seconds. I think you only need to do it once, but I usually do it a couple of times. Then I start the vehicle and have never had a stumble or stutter; it just runs.

-Jon

HappyFamilyVan
08-20-2010, 06:28 PM
The system is self priming.
-Jon

Quite right....I chaulk it up to lessons learned :bounce:

icarus
08-20-2010, 06:43 PM
After having second thoughts and thinking that I did a no-no by using the fuel from the old filter to prime the new one, I called several Sprinter techs. I called both Dodge and MB dealers to speak with the techs. You can imagin, I did not get to speak with the tech directly, but all took my name and number and the tech called me back later in the day. ALL, every one of them, both Dodge and MB stated that they use the fuel from the old filter to prime the new one. Note: two dealers that post on this forum had their service departments called...they also reuse the fuel. When I ask why, the answers were..."unless the WIF sensor light is on, no water in the filter"..."contaments in the fuel are filtered out by the filter and caught in the media, not suspended in the fuel"..."unlike oil, fuel is not recirrculated by the engine so that the fuel that came out of the filter, was fresh from the tank"...."why waste the fuel"...

For me in the future....I do not think I will reuse...but interesteing to note...I did it just like the pros :hmmm:

Another tip, thought about this as an after thought....before starting the fuel change process...you can drain the fuel filter through the WIF drain...dah...why did I not think of that before..:thinking:

You can also suck it out with a vacuum pump.

Just a note, because the service techs do something doesn't always mean it is right,, it may just be easier!

Like the guy posted elsewhere who got a dealer oil change for $59. I don't know anywhere you can even by 13 qts of oil for $59 much less a filter and some labor, so I assume they put in something other than MB spec oil.

ircsmith
08-20-2010, 07:47 PM
I pushed on that white clip to no avail. it would not separate the retaining clips enough to remove the plug. I had to give it a little help by pulling the black clips out and then pull up. great idea but not quite there on the MB engineer who designed it.

I turned the key on for 20 seconds-off and back on for 60 seconds-off and started up almost as if I never changed the filter.

jdcaples
08-20-2010, 09:41 PM
I used hose pliers, but you might be able to use a very small C-Clamp to push "almost crush" the white retainer towards the center of the cylindrical portion of the WIF drain connector. This will cause the black, verticle claws to clear the rim of the WIF's filter-side connection.

Use a very fine tipped pry tool and, with your fingers, push the connecter (at the 90 degree bend) in one direction to get the pry tool between the body and the connector. Pry the insertion point up by pushing on the bottom (filter side of the WIF receiver) up only after you know the claws are free of the brim.

I'll try to get a picture of this....

-Jon

jdcaples
08-20-2010, 09:48 PM
I pushed on that white clip to no avail. it would not separate the retaining clips enough to remove the plug. I had to give it a little help by pulling the black clips out and then pull up. great idea but not quite there on the MB engineer who designed it.

I turned the key on for 20 seconds-off and back on for 60 seconds-off and started up almost as if I never changed the filter.

You can't buy that connector seperately. If you break those claws, you run a risk of it popping off. I broke mine and ended up buying the $80.00 hose instead of just the connector.... it sucked, but I felt it was the right thing to do for me.

The white retaining claw "pusher" can take a lot of pressure and it will spread the claws off the WIF connector..... you just have to practice and you'll get the hang of it.

-Jon

ebsprintin
08-22-2010, 05:10 AM
You can't buy that connector seperately. If you break those claws, you run a risk of it popping off. I broke mine and ended up buying the $80.00 hose instead of just the connector.... it sucked, but I felt it was the right thing to do for me.

The white retaining claw "pusher" can take a lot of pressure and it will spread the claws off the WIF connector..... you just have to practice and you'll get the hang of it.

-Jon

Anyone recall where the write-up is for installing the hose Jon just mentioned. Ran across it once, but can't retrace my steps.

eb

fishermunn
08-22-2010, 11:49 PM
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9926

see post #8. it was pretty straight forward procedure. thankfully:clapping:

kmessinger
08-24-2010, 09:05 PM
First time I tried the white thingy I broke it. Now just half of it is in the right place but to get a new one I think I have to order the entire water sensor - have to look that up someday.

BTW, I have never been able to drain water or fuel or anything out of the drain tube. Glad the water light has never come on!

Regards,

Keith

ebsprintin
08-25-2010, 01:35 AM
First time I tried the white thingy I broke it. Now just half of it is in the right place but to get a new one I think I have to order the entire water sensor - have to look that up someday.

BTW, I have never been able to drain water or fuel or anything out of the drain tube. Glad the water light has never come on!

Regards,

Keith

Double check that. I think the part you need isn't on the water sensor. It's on the hose that is talked about in the thread fishermunn linked to above.

eb

kmessinger
08-25-2010, 05:05 AM
Yes, you are correct on what I need. I forgot about that thread. My hose must be pinched somehow as I get nothing out of it.

Regards,

Keith