PDA

View Full Version : How to Isolate bad glowplug(s)

landersprinter
08-18-2010, 05:48 AM
Getting my firsts codes on my 06 sprinter at 156000. Pleasantly happy about that but need to identify how to find out which glow plug is bad. Yes I am getting the code and it is going on and off as it pleases. I'm not expert by any stretch of the imagination and living in WY with no real help is tough. Your help is welcomed. I checked posts for this and had a hard time finding how to isolate. I know someone can point me to the correct post with a few key strokes.

Thanks again,
Reid

sailquik
08-18-2010, 06:16 AM
Hi Reid,
I'd check out the Glow plug Fuse Module that "Surlyold Bill" is putting together.
Seems alot of folks have "toasted" the glow plug "module" when sorting out glow plug issues.
With the Surly Old Bill device, there is a seperate fuse for each glow plug, so you can sort/short through
the glow plugs and if it's grounded, you only lose a 10 cent fuse, rather than the rather expensive glow plug
module.
Here's a link:
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12150
Also on the same page is another discussion on how to sort out the glow plugs.
Dr. A has written extensively about how to check the glow plugs without sacrificing the module as well.
Do a search on abittenbinder.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Getting my firsts codes on my 06 sprinter at 156000. Pleasantly happy about that but need to identify how to find out which glow plug is bad. Yes I am getting the code and it is going on and off as it pleases. I'm not expert by any stretch of the imagination and living in WY with no real help is tough. Your help is welcomed. I checked posts for this and had a hard time finding how to isolate. I know someone can point me to the correct post with a few key strokes.

Thanks again,
Reid

flman
08-18-2010, 10:31 AM
I have never worked on the T1N glow plugs before, but I have worked on other engines with glow plugs. You should be able to use an ohm meter and test from the plug terminal to ground, and the offending plug should read different then the good ones.

landersprinter
08-18-2010, 12:50 PM
great stuff here from the "wise ones". I will look into these and try and work on van this weekend.

Thank you

autostaretx
08-18-2010, 06:10 PM
use an ohm meter and test from the plug terminal to ground,
A good glow plug has a resistance in the neighborhood of 1.5 (one point five) ohms.
So you'll have to make a good (or at least consistent) connection with the ohmmeter to distinguish that from zero (dead short).

A good glow plug draws about 18 amps at 12 volts.

--dick

surlyoldbill
08-19-2010, 04:50 PM
I posted a while back that I discovered a worn-through wiring harness that was showing as a fused-to-ground glow plug at the module end. I replaced the plug with a new one and got the same result. So, you need to test the plug AT the plug and not rely on the harness to be intact.

kkanuck
08-19-2010, 08:57 PM
I posted a while back that I discovered a worn-through wiring harness that was showing as a fused-to-ground glow plug at the module end. I replaced the plug with a new one and got the same result. So, you need to test the plug AT the plug and not rely on the harness to be intact.

Any guidance as to were this harness is prone to shorting?

Cheers,

surlyoldbill
08-19-2010, 10:16 PM
I can't remember which thread it was on, but I also posted pictures. It may be in the "write ups" area. The harness was worn through on the power steering frame and another place if I remember right. Wherever it rubs up against some metal making it's way from the battery area toward the motor.