Howdy All .........2008 Sprinter ??

PLUMMER

Finally a site that has REAL world info on a sprinter. Yup...... only took me 3 months to find it but hey atleast alot of my ?'s are answered without even asking one.

I am in the market for a New sprinter here in Michigan, but to no avail the only ones available are striped of any features ( A or B truck and that is it , zero other options)or just not the size for what I am after for my buisnes(plumbing). Now I am told if I want anything different I have to order a 2008, which will arrive around October.

Looking for a 2500 170 Extended high roof
Red,blue or white
power locks
contractor package maybe
3.92 gear a must for better milage
maybe the 2 passenger seat option
some heated seats and mirros for winter

My goal is to have a good comfortable truck with excellent gas milage. And since I'm gonna fork out 15K extra I might as well have some extra comforts for the tens years I usually own my vehicles. This will tow a 3 place snowmobile race trailer as well , about 2500 lbs.

Any help or info is much appreciated. I just can't figure out why dealers dont wanna sell trucks, its harder to get a salesman to do a vehicle search than it is to get the wife to OK an extra 15-18 K.

Any info on the options or news on 2008's changes would be nice aswell. Since D-C wont have it on the site till January.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Must be very quite on the site , Humm Summer time :laughing:
Looked at Michigan sites all eight not much offering and they don't give nothing away, Gave it a miss a Battle Creek PS you mean 3500 not 2500 thats for the 144 unit,not good for a plumber! unless you running short pipes on the other side of a pink drain pipe on a single duplex building :smilewink:
Dallas Texas is where your going to have to look, plenty for sale and Diesel too.
It may be worth waiting for the new Sprinters as they will have the option for 4.9t wide single rims on the rear, better stability less rolling, and increases your load area for full pallet slide in from the rear cargo doors.
There are many changes on the new sprinter updates.
There is a down side of a possiable risk factor if you wait, and that will be a massive price increase to adjust to the true value of the Sprinters if the US dollar keeps dropping Mercedes will reverse it's currency back to Euros Mercedes-Benz are not about to dump them below cost on the US side this time around now "Cerberus has control" and that is the reason in two parts for the wait
[A] Union health benefits to be sorted out.
Credit arrangements to be sorted out via Damlier AG finance division, loaning money back to themselves,, What a croak! 'on that one' :crazy: But that's how Benz makes it's dollars Euro's and whatever.
[C] Takeover not yet finalized to the last quarter of the year Hence January and don't let any one fool you into believing any thing different. We have the updated sprinters and our market is smaller than Canada's.
Try NY for a sprinter with electric heated seats [They'll fry you alive] you would have to fly down and drive back, just make sure you can get a warranty transferee back to your preferred dealer.
Take out extended warranty options , you'll save a bundle if your doing high mileage Sprinter parts are not cheap but they sure are economic in comparison to local makes with fuel continuing to rise you can bet you will be paying US $4.50 + a gallon in the next three to four years do your maths as to fuel consumption per year and the profit margins you operate on, if housing continues to fall in the Us there will be work but it will become far more competitive with your local competition, so you need to think long term smart if you want to survive past 2010.
Sorry all is quite on the forum , Thinking some one else local could help you better than my self.
PS And dealers only tell you, what they want you to Know. play their game! learn from our forum , the dealer will hate you for it, but being smart gives you the advantage of the end game.
Richard

Last edited:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Any info on the options or news on 2008's changes would be nice aswell. Since D-C wont have it on the site till January.
One thing that I think you may have left out in your list of options, since you mentioned snowmobiles, is 4x4. I believe 4x4 is coming for 2008.

It's still a rumor, but a good one. Sportsmobile is suppose to bring over the 4x4 system for the T1N Sprinter (pre-2007 USA), but has reconsidered and chucked the idea because the 2008 Sprinters (according the Sportsmobile) is coming with 4x4.

Here's a picture of the webpage...
sportsmobile.JPG
...just in case it disappears one day. :smilewink:

ctmcdaniel

Cross Member
Plummer

Try this guy in PA.

jackc@dambrosio.us

I just ordered my van from him, I noticed they had 10 or more white 2007 in stock.

Also you could try calling the manager at the dodge dealer in your area and ask for help. This actually worked for me twice. In all honesty it did not work the other 6 times....

Tom
Licensed Plumber

PLUMMER

I definately preffer the 2500 since the 1 ton I have now is way more than I need, waterclosets , boilers and water heaters aren't that heavy.....haha.

The diamler/chrysler web page used to tell you what dealers had a truck that matched your specs when you build it. And how well their options matched what you chose. Now you have to search each individual dealer and open a new web browser, since the back button wont work anymore. It just takes forever. And it doesn't tell you which dodge dealers actually handle the sprinter. OUt of 27 dealers I searched only 3 actually sell the sprinter. So alot of wasted time.

4x4 would be awesome but not sure the economy loss vs. the amount I will actually use it , will be cost effective. but who knows. That is a REAL truck and I only seee 4x4 vans in Alaska when I go each year fishing. I have done all the math for milage and fuel costs. And for the first time in 8 years diesel is actually cheaper than gas, 2.85/gallon and 3.09/galon for gas. So in 100k the diesl @ 20 mpg will use 3333 gallons less than my current gasser, or 2400 less than my current 6.5 GM diesel. So that is just 10,000 dollars in fuel alone. And the sprinter will cost 15,210.00 more than a new loaded 300 HP GM extended gasser. I plan on loading the truck with the commercial UPFIT program and all Premium Weatherguard bins , like my current trucks, and with the high roof there wont be any ned for pipe racks on the roof adding more drag.
I am gonna try my wifes contact she gets thru work @ Beaumont Hospital, they provide 1.5% over dealer invoice cost for employees. So with NO incentives on the sprinter this will probably be the best I can do. Hopefully sometime they will offer 0% financing again before I order or take delivery. That alone will save 100+ dollars a month in payments.

Thanks for all the help, Keep it comming........

UH......OH just was told by another dealer that ordering for US 2008's opens in August and delivery won't happen tillJanuary or Later ??????????

Last edited:

huskyhauler

One thing that I think you may have left out in your list of options, since you mentioned snowmobiles, is 4x4. I believe 4x4 is coming for 2008.

It's still a rumor, but a good one. Sportsmobile is suppose to bring over the 4x4 system for the T1N Sprinter (pre-2007 USA), but has reconsidered and chucked the idea because the 2008 Sprinters (according the Sportsmobile) is coming with 4x4.

View attachment 2125

There are aftermarket 4x4 systems for the Sprinter available in Europe already. But no sign of of Mercedes actually building one themselves yet......

I have been trying to order an Extra LWB Diesel Auto 315 for months now here in the UK and have just been told that the build date has now gone back to October. I had wanted a 4x4 - was almost laughed out of the dealership :thinking:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
The last 2005 plated 4x4 Mercedes sprinter 418 CDi turned up last month almost 18 months on back order looked funny in the lot with the new 2006 Mercedes sprinters.
Cost AU $102 thousand AU Canadian Prices CA landed $ 82 grand plus options and on road, dealer ships fees etc .
The system for the 4x4 is a Mitsubishi light truck front end suspension but I don't know which model .
We have seven of the 4x4 in Tasmania all used by Telstra fitted out not much change left from 200 thousand.
The only thing they are used for is parking on the grass strips between the road and foot paths , but then a gain any Mercedes that goes on grass, that's wet or boggy is in permanent wheel spin , those tires just have no traction once off road.
You can still purchase them but the company that makes them has back orders for almost 18 months most are Middle East and SA bound .
These are like the US Becker units special orders built to customer requirements out of my league as the average cost starts at 100 thousand with options two PTO takeoffs cost three grand alone.
Richard

PLUMMER

Today's latest dealer info , was all cargo sprinters only come to US in white. They have NO color options...........
I love all the discrepancies. Wait ......NO I don't!!!!!!!!!!
I seen lots in Texas, unfortunately NONE of the size let alone the anywhere near the configuration.

Suposed to finally get a US wide search today at noon, hopefully a plane ticket and road trip home will be in my furture. cuz i don't know if I can wait till January for one of these trucks.

Correction on my above employee group pricing, its supposed to be " 1.5 % below dealer invoice and lifetime oil changes with new vehicle purchase" Unfortunately i believe it only can be done at one dealer that the Hospital bartered the deal with. Hope this doesn't throw another wrench in things.

Also glad to read Richards reports on varing AUS/US versions and payloads. Sounds like this van is a real powerhouse for load capacities.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Nice to know you have the Mercedes exclusive option of white:thumbup:
And I hate WHITE:thumbdown:
But then a gain it was not so far back in time When Henry said any color you want so long as it's Black :smilewink:
Richard

chasejj

View attachment 2125
I was at Sportsmobile this week. That 4x4 was there, awesome rig. It is converted using the Iglhaut Allrad system. Jonathan said it would cost around $15K to convert the 2006 and priors.He saif that one is so fully loaded you would looking at $90K for it.
I don't know if they would do another but I got the idea that money and a signed waiver of the vehicle warranty might get it done.
One thing that I think is holding back conversions of these vehicles is Daimler is forbidden conversion companies from mounting rear seats in a forward facing manner(something to do with NHTSA issues and crash tests/liabilities). This severely limits layout possibilities with the endorsed conversion companies.This makes those that desire forward facing seats for their passengers are stuck with a passenger version(too many windows for my toyhauler concept). So it looks like I will do my own , but I am anxiously awaiting the AWD/4WD version before I take the plunge.

BMA

So it looks like I will do my own , but I am anxiously awaiting the AWD/4WD version before I take the plunge.
I'm also waiting on a 4x4 version. Using it dual use for the farm and RVing pretty much requires it to be a 4x4. If it was RVing only I'd already have a 2WD version. My farm is to hilly to bring a 2WD vehicle out into the fields. It's been dry for a bit here and I still got stuck having to backup and go around rather than straight up a hill. Having it as a 4x4 for RVing also allows me to do winter vacations without having to worry as much about weather.

- Bryan

Top Bottom