144 vs. 170 WB as Daily Driver

geosue333

My husband and I are ordering 2011 cargo 2500 and debating on the 144 versus 170 wheel base (not extended) as a daily driver that we’ll do a DIY RV conversion. The 144 wheel base is 232.5” overall and the 170 wheel base is 296.2” overall. The 170 WB is about 60” (or ~ 5 feet) longer than our old full sized F150 we use as a winter snow driver and junk hauler. The debate centers around how much more difficult the 170 will be as a daily driver in a rural area; no big downtown city driving/parking is planned. The 170 certainly wins for RV space, hands down. However, the 170 won’t fit a normal parking space length wise, and is not really much longer than the pickup with a small trailer.

Will anyone comment on their experiences with driving a 144 versus a 170 as a daily driver?
How about the 144 versus 170 as an RV? It seems the 144 would make a very small RV, even though its only the two of us.

Ann

wsherman

My husband and I are ordering 2011 cargo 2500 and debating on the 144 versus 170 wheel base (not extended) as a daily driver that we’ll do a DIY RV conversion. The 144 wheel base is 232.5” overall and the 170 wheel base is 296.2” overall. The 170 WB is about 60” (or ~ 5 feet) longer than our old full sized F150 we use as a winter snow driver and junk hauler. The debate centers around how much more difficult the 170 will be as a daily driver in a rural area; no big downtown city driving/parking is planned. The 170 certainly wins for RV space, hands down. However, the 170 won’t fit a normal parking space length wise, and is not really much longer than the pickup with a small trailer.

Will anyone comment on their experiences with driving a 144 versus a 170 as a daily driver?
How about the 144 versus 170 as an RV? It seems the 144 would make a very small RV, even though its only the two of us.

Ann

Ann,

I have found with my customers that do the rv conversion do like the 170 due to its size, although i find the 144 will do the job. If you see what Roadtreck is doing, they mainly sell the 170 as it has so much more space.

If you have any more questions I would be happy to help you. Please email me.

Regards,

wmlog

Ann
I don't really understand the question.

Yes, the 170" WB is longer than your F150. OK. Is the issue drivability or in being able to handle the vehicle or turn it around? I had a 2006 158" WB and now have 180,000 miles on a 170" WB and see no problem. Yes, it takes more care to drive, but that really isn't a problem. See your dealer and take them both for a test drive and give them a workout.

The rural area parking concern - there is no real concern. If you go to Walmart, just take 2 spots end-to-end and walk a few more feet. If you lived in the city and had to park in a parking garage or on the street, there might be a parking issue.

The real bottom line is what are you going to put in the RV, and how much room you want in it. Mileage won't be much different, but look at the additional space you get!

I'd take the 170" WB hands down.

:2cents:

businessgypsy

Curiosity fed the dog
If you're going to be boondocking at all, the 144 fits in everywhere. Not a problem in your rural setting, but use as an RV infers getting from point A to point B. I just finished a 4,368 mile one way trip diagonally across the country, and the ability to park anywhere in my 144" 3500 sure made daily life on the ten day trip easy. Disclaimer: lived on a boat for years and like the small spaces, your results may vary.

Attachments

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
I chose the 144" WB so I can park it in any city parking space. You have to be creative to get all the RV stuff inside. The bed needs to be across the van in the 144" but can be lengthwise in the 170".
My daughter and I just spent 2 weeks in a rented 144" in New Zealand. I confirmed that for my use the 144" WB was the correct choice. You have to decide if space is more important than manuverability.

72chevy4x4

my 170" goes everywhere and it only takes experience and care driving/parking around town. I'll usually find myself parking away from other vehicles and pulling about 2' into the other parking spots space to keep from the rear hanging out into the driving lane.

NBB

IMO, 144 makes a fine RV for 2 people with an occasional 3rd. You will get a full size bed and a full kitchen and likely plenty of storage.

You probably *won't* get a bathroom with a 144. Yeah, they do put them in the 144, but it's tight with huge sacrifices in storage space and being able to move around.

If you want to sleep more than 2 and/or you want a bathroom, you'll want a 170.

I'm with businessgypsy in my RV philosophies, though - stealth is good, being able to park is good, being able to get into trailheads is important - don't care to haul poop around and I'm fine showering out the back, even in winter - so I have a 144. It's also something I feel fine about parking in the neighborhood, so no need for a storage unit.

The above criterias, IMO, are more important than how it will drive. They all drive fine.

yablsnibs

It seems like dealers have alot of 170 cargos in stock in white,like maybe 5 to 1,this means there will be alot of left over 2010's soon, if you time it correctly you may be able to save alot of money on a left over 2010. When I bought my left over 08 I saved about 14k that might just pay for your DYI conversion? maybe your wallet will help you decide the wheelbase to get:thumbup:

d_bertko

I live in the third densest city in the country and have to parallel park my 02 158" on the street since we do not have a driveway. It has not been a problem for the six years or so I've owned it but I must pass on many parking spots our Subaru would fit into. No particular problem parking at city metered spots. In places with parking lots I might park a little farther out to use the extra length of two opposite spots.

I think a 170" would be reasonably harder to park---maybe 50% less spaces---than my 158" in the tightest residential and metered areas. Perhaps 10% harder in most parking lots. I can't conceive of a problem in most suburban areas let alone rural ones.

I would not have considered a short wheelbase for my DIY. The extra space is so useful.

If your style of DIY has a lot of bells-and-whistles with copious cabinetry then the weight limits of a 2500 on a 170" might be a factor. My DIY is lighter than most commercial conversions.

Good luck!

BillWV

Schloss auf Rädern
I'm the husband Ann spoke of and we did a chalk outline exercise today; the box is the actual size of the refrigerator and the chairs are simulating the driver/passenger seats.

The pink is the 144” wheels, blue 170” wheels, yellow are the front wheels; green is the bed. I’m over 6’ tall, so our bed must be oriented long ways; putting the mattress length and fridge in the 144 leaves enough room to spin about your own center. We’re now convinced to go with the 170.

FWIW, we did test drive an empty 2010 (170) cargo and we did attend Sprinter Fest East; even so, this exercise really helped us visualize the arrangement of things.

Thanks to everyone for responding and thanks to Fred/Michelle (and others) for the advice about building mockups.

Attachments

kmessinger

Our 144 fits into just about any parking space in the city and sometimes Safeway I can even use the compact space as the front end hangs over about 1-1/2 feet.

We do not have a "bathroom" but do have a mounted toilet in our "back-porch" area where we store camping gear. A survey on the class b forum one time found the least used item in the camper was 1. the microwave (which we use all the time) and 2. the shower. After our trip to Alaska and buying showers I think it was good to leave it our. I would like a wider bed but there are many places we have been that you have to under 20' in length and the 144 is perfect for that.

This plan maximized windows as we didn't want to be closed in . . . http://www.ourexcellentadventures.com/wp-content/photos/BuildingTheSprinter/keithfloorplan.pdf

Regards,

Keith

I bought an 07 170" high cargo van. I just got back from a 6000 mile road trip from Phoenix to Key West and back, with many stops along the way. I am having this same conversation with myself. I love the room that the 170 has, but there have been a few times that I kind of wished for a shorter vehicle. You need to think of what you will be doing with it, how much time on the road vs. how much time in urban areas doing errands. Parking the beast in Key West and in Austin was a bit of a challenge. If you are going to use it as a larger version of the conversion van, mostly going from point A to B and staying in hotels, I would probably opt for shorter. Ditto if you plan on any ferryboats. I use mine as my personal desert, hunting and shore diving toybox, and some of my toys are pretty big.

It is very seldom that I have to walk more than 100 feet from parking just beyond the last cars in the parking lot, across 2 spaces. If you can find a place to back in, with the overhang going over the curb and not hitting anything, that works as well. The only real showstopper is parking garages, but if you can avoid those, you can go just about anywhere in a 170.

Feel free to give me a ring, I would be glad to share my learning with you. Cheers!

icarus

Go visit a local RV dealer that stocks both lengths. RoadTrek Agile SS or the Pleasureway ascent both based on the 144. They both make 170 versions, as do many other companies.

Personally, the 14 works great for two of us, including the full bath. Bed makes into a King, or two large twins. A little close with the dog when the weather gets bad, but we came from a VW Westfailia. Lots of storage for two. Also, without the external spare tire the 144 comes in at 19'3" so you don't pay over length on most ferries (Including BC, Washington and Alaska). You do however have to pay over height charges, but not paying both is a big deal.

Given a choice, I would choose a 144 again in a heart beat, and would even condsider a 118" WB if they still made one. IMHO most folks have too much stuff anyway!

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Be it NCV or Tin My MWB Sprinter is just perfect for all occasions get-away from it all.
I do at times sort of like the idea of the LBW units with the high top variants.
Yet the reality of it all, is I find the longer and higher top Sprinters have just too many restrictions,with city parking, and going bush..We have gum tress down under and that's a big nuisance when on secondary roads. that is getting your self un-intentionally caught up with low hanging branches, and possums drooping in to hitch hike for a free ride, to the next tree:lol:
Free-Spirited Sprinter's loves to travel and wonder onto roads unknown.
You never know what delights may unfold at the end of the road. \It's True.
Have a fantastic day folks! Just enjoy the ride.
Richard
DSC01387(1) (Custom).JPG

DSC01370(1) (Custom).JPG

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Attached is a PDF drawing showing the cargo floor area of a 08 144" Sprinter. I assume you can just add 26" in front of the rear wheel wells to get a drawing of the 170" WB Sprinter. Using scale size cutouts you should be able to develop a floor plan.
I was able to get a 24" x 32" shower/toilet compartment, Refrigerator,microwave,freshwater tank, 8D battery, sink cabinet, electrical, 54" x 71" bed, two bench seats and a 32" x 54" table into a 144" Sprinter. Bed is across back on top of table.

Attachments

BillWV

Schloss auf Rädern
Thanks to everyone; it seems the range of opinion is split about 50/50. We did the chalk outline and considered all the good advice here. FWIW, we chose the 170.
Many thanks to all!

wildimaginations

Wild Imaginations
Good choice. I have the 170 and it is by far the best. Sure I have to park a little far away from the stores front door but I need the exercise anyway. And since I use it for my appliance repair business, it's really not so bad. Good luck to you.

kendall69

Personally I don't know who would actually NEED a 170.

I have yet to fill up my 144. Last month I went on a long road trip and had three bikes, camping gear, 4 suitcases, and (8) commercial road cases all of which overloaded the van but never ever did fill it up. I still had room.

The 144 dives and parks like a typical auto with no problems parking, The only thing I can't do is go into parking garages or some fast food drive thru's because of the height.

impatient

Bump.

I want to haul windsurf boards....inside. And sails, etc. And a bike. these take up a lot of room. And a bed, galley, etc, etc. Typical of me, I want something that isn't made...a 144" wheelbase, but with the rear overhang of the (shorter) 170. Hi-top of course. By my calculations, this would be a 248" vehicle (instead of the 233" & 274"). An extra 15" without the longer wheelbase would be awesome!!! If only...

Top Bottom