PDA

View Full Version : Bad support bearing?

hp2owner
08-12-2010, 12:38 AM
Infrared photo i took of ujoint and bearing after 12 mile ride. Van has been making wierd sound ( sound like a hack saw cutting metal ) on slow decelleration for last few weeks. Dealer didn't hear it. No noise at highway speed. Used a FLIR camera to take the photo.

jdcaples
08-12-2010, 01:16 AM
People have said failed bearings are "warm to the touch" and that's at 32.6 (AKA 90.68 F), the metal's still sucking the heat of your hand, not warming it.

What does the brake rotor look like after a 12 mile drive?

-Jon

folzag
08-12-2010, 02:47 AM
Great photo, but I think for it to be meaningful you have to take one of a known good bearing for comparison. For all anyone here knows, 90F is completely within spec. Especially if it was sunny and 78 in Santa Barbara that day. :-)

Jon, 90F is going to feel warm. Yes, it is colder than your core body temp, but it is (generally) not colder than the surface temperature of your skin, which is what your nerve cells report.

jdcaples
08-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Maybe my nerves or more senstive than others, but I've felt 90 water with my finger and I won't wash with it; [I turn add hotter water. My hand wants hotter water.

I've also felt 90 metal. It "felt" cool to my fingers.... not "cold" like a bottle of "warm beer," but I can readily tell it's not something I want to hold onto w/o a glove for very long.

This is just me, though. I'm hypersenstive to cool temperatures. ~95 is where the rate thermal syphoning of heat from me to an object is a comfortable rate.

-Jon