PDA

View Full Version : Rims Question

BillWV
08-12-2010, 12:36 AM
I'm looking at the 2011 model 2500; there is an option of RL5 Wheel Light Alloy 6.5Jx16 for $810, and it looks like the plain jane option is RS3 Wheel Steel 6.5 x 16.

Can anyone show me or link to a picture of these two (side by side would be great!) for comparision? Our Sprinter package is velvet red, so we're thinking a better rim is in order.

Is there such a thing as a decent hub cap for the factory default rims (or is this a taboo subject in the MB world)?

Diamondsea
08-12-2010, 02:21 AM
The factory literature and website should have pictures of both. On my 2009 model the extra cost fancy rims come on only the 4 wheels and not the spare tire. The wheels are mounted with lug bolts not lug nuts and the two types of wheels use different length bolts. With the jack and tools they give a set of the bolts necessary to mount the spare. Using the spare will not match the other wheels in appearance. Also the tire pressure monitoring system is not on the spare. I recently rotated tires incorporating the spare and this required remounting the spare onto one of the other rims. All considered I am glad I went with the extra cost fancy rims as I like their appearance far better. Is it worth the extra money? Your choice!

Mrdi
08-12-2010, 02:45 AM
The alloys lOOk nice, and are cheaper if ordered now than they will be later.
Hub caps/wheel covers are a temporary plastic hassle.
Steel wheels are a little stronger but rather industrial in appearance.

gary 32
08-12-2010, 02:04 PM
[QUOTE=BillWV;102233]I'm looking at the 2011 model 2500; there is an option of RL5 Wheel Light Alloy 6.5Jx16 for $810, and it looks like the plain jane option is RS3 Wheel Steel 6.5 x 16.

This is the most cost effective option, assuming you like the look.

With Sprinters the very best thing is to view in person van with rims, images are deceiving and really good choices are few.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1579

A lot of senior members here really like the Alcoa option.

BillWV
08-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Here's a pic of the stock rims on a 2010 cargo: