PDA

View Full Version : 10-4 good buddy!

Chandlerazman
08-11-2010, 01:27 AM
Anyone install a cb radio and have pics in their Sprinter? I was wondering what to do with the blank space in the overhead of my '08 van. Looks like it will fit a din size radio up there... What you say peeps?

Diamondsea
08-11-2010, 01:49 AM
I installed a CB when I first got my van placing it on top of the center of the dash where I had removed the opening cover over the shallow storage compartment. I removed the CB and trashed it a few months later. To my mind all serious talk is gone from CB in these days of everyone having a cell phone. Most CB traffic seemed to be trash talk in my mind. Twice I used it to ask truckers what was up ahead (accident) that had stopped traffic and how far ahead it was. In both cases I had no option to leave the highway so was stuck anyhow. I was disappointed in the short range especially in hilly country. I was glad to get rid of it! A $150 dollar lesson learned!

Aqua Puttana
08-11-2010, 02:15 AM
I can't disagree. The CB in my other van is handy to have for traffic backups sometimes. There is always a bunch of static in the form of senseless commentary.

FWIW. For the over 2 years I've owned my Sprinter, I haven't bothered to move the CB radio over even though it has a gutter mount antenna. YMMV. vic
I installed a CB when I first got my van placing it on top of the center of the dash where I had removed the opening cover over the shallow storage compartment. I removed the CB and trashed it a few months later. To my mind all serious talk is gone from CB in these days of everyone having a cell phone. Most CB traffic seemed to be trash talk in my mind. Twice I used it to ask truckers what was up ahead (accident) that had stopped traffic and how far ahead it was. In both cases I had no option to leave the highway so was stuck anyhow. I was disappointed in the short range especially in hilly country. I was glad to get rid of it! A $150 dollar lesson learned!

comet429
08-11-2010, 02:21 AM
Anyone install a cb radio and have pics in their Sprinter? I was wondering what to do with the blank space in the overhead of my '08 van. Looks like it will fit a din size radio up there... What you say peeps?I've taken the passager seat out and made a desk........ holds maps;paper work;Quall Comm;LP100A meter;CB radio; 4 or 6pill amp and a 12v recharging light.

kendall69
08-11-2010, 02:42 AM
The problem with CB's is that the average person does not get the CB "tweaked" if you get it tweaked you can get ranges that would stun you. They are illegal also fyi.

I had a tweaked radio and yes there is a bunch of insane blabber on the radio, although for me it helped keep me awake on long runs, but with the added distance of a tweaked radio I knew of road problems many, many miles in advance and hit the GPS for a go around.

HERK
08-11-2010, 02:14 PM
I been thinking about the same spot for a CB. I have an older Cobra that has the weather band in it. Were still working on our interior at the moment. I am thinking we will have it done by late summer, early fall at that point is when, I might have a sunroof put in and have the hole cut out for the CB while the headliner is down and being redone.

I drove truck for 10 years and played around with my CB a little. Here is what I can share, generally the same clowns you hear sounding like idiots on the CB are the same ones that drive in the same manner. You can have your radio "peeked and tweaked" Having your radio "peeked" is like getting a hi performance tune up for your car and "tweaked" is when you put bigger "finals" in the radio giving you more than the 4 watts allowed by the FCC.

The most important thing you can do for any radio setup is getting the right antenna and getting your SWR's set correctly. Here is a web site with everything you would need to know about Cb's and antennas. http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs.htm

wmlog
08-12-2010, 04:32 AM
Back to your original question -

Yes, I have a CB radio installed in the cavity above the interior lamps. I ordered my 2008 Sprinter and included the option just for the purpose of the CB radio install. If you pry out the dummy cover plate a carrier or rack is exposed. It too, is removable to accomadate your installation.

I have a smaller Uniden model (with weather channels) installed (most radios will not quite fit), and the face mounted speaker works fine. A retractable microphone holder and the job is done.

There is a 4 conductor connector behind the cavity for some unknown application, but I installed a dedicated 12V circuit for the radio. I have a 24" antenna mounted centrally on the roof, with all wiring hidden away above the ceiling of the cab and sleeper compartment. Make sure you tune the antenna to your radio after installation.

Yes, there is a lot of chatter out there on the CB - but that is what the squelch adjustment is for. And, you can always turn it off! I believe that the few limited occassions where it does come in handy offsets the nuisances.

:2cents:

NBB
08-12-2010, 04:56 AM
My impression is that the truckers have ditched their CB's for satellite radio. I just picked up Sirius and it has changed my life for long drives. The lack of commercials is great. It makes FM radio seem like one long strung-out advertisement in comparison - the MAN deciding what you should hear to maximize profits. There is tons of news, talk, music, NPR, comedy - whatever your mood. Lots of call-ins to the DJ's from truckers, it seems.