Adjusting Wipers?

ohlsonmh

Grumpy Member
Probably a dumb question, but what's the best way to readjust the parking position of the wipers on my 2004?

I had to have the windshield replaced, and now the wipers "park" several inches from the bottom of the glass, and the driver's side over-rides the edge of the glass at 'full wipe' - which wears the blade prematurely.

None of that occurred prior to the replacement, they used to park about 2 inches lower and just went almost TO the edge of the glass.

I don't see anything simple like a screw holding the arm to the post.

Thanks for any hints, -Oly

maxextz

Rollin Rollin Rollin.....
hi, if you look down the bottom of the screen you should see a small black line in the glass this is were the wipers sit.
if you pull back the cap on the end of the wipers there is a nut that can be adjusted to move the position of the wiper arm,just make sure you tighten it good when finished as if not it could ring the threads and you will have a problem.

max..........:smilewink:

RedLens

I just had a similar issue after getting my windshield removed and reinstalled to treat rust. The concerning part is that the wipers seem to try to adjust every few seconds, as I can hear the motor and see them move and inch or two, but they don't engage at all when I flip the wiper switch. Anyone have any idea if this is simply an adjustment and nut issue or more serious wiper motor malfunction?

marklg

The wiper arms are splined and fit onto a splined shaft. If the nut comes loose, they may pop off the spline. The shaft will turn but the wiper arms may only move slightly or not at all. Turn off the wipers so they try to park and move the arm till it is in the correct position and tighten the nut that is under the cap. Hopefully the splines are not so damaged and things will work correctly again.

Regards,

Mark

B

billintomahawk

Consider some Loctite.
Mine came loose several times. Of course it was raining.

bill in tomahawk

When adjusting it is best to hit the line exactly or err just a bit on the high side with the USA driver side wiper (left). If it is slightly below the windshield line (like my 2004 :bash: ) the left side wiper tip gets trapped by the other side arm which makes flipping the wiper up a bit of a pain. It's not the end of the world, I've yet to correct the 2004, but it's easily avoidable.

:2cents: vic

marklg

Consider some Loctite.
Mine came loose several times. Of course it was raining.

bill in tomahawk
When adjusting it is best to hit the line exactly or err just a bit on the high side with the USA driver side wiper (left). If it is slightly below the windshield line (like my 2004 :bash: ) the left side wiper tip gets trapped by the other side arm which makes flipping the wiper up a bit of a pain. It's not the end of the world, I've yet to correct the 2004, but it's easily avoidable.

:2cents: vic
I haven't had to tighten mine again, but I will use my favorite Loctite 243 if I have to again. I tightened it up I think one notch off in the middle of nowhere, so if it does come loose again, I'll try to get it adjusted properly. As long as the two arms don't hit, it does not seem too critical. And, of course it was raining cats and dogs on a cross country trip when it loosened up.

Of course, it happened by a Border Patrol checkpoint on I10. I also had a window regulator fail at another Border Patrol checkpoint with the window stuck down and had to go back through another checkpoint with the window stuck up. These things never happen around town a few minutes from home. And, the Sprinter seems to have some reason to break near the Border Patrol.

Regards,

Mark

Rubber Ducky

Don't do what I did! Always stay mindful of the spring thrust toward windshield. I was changing in the rain and had the
passenger side wiper off and wiper arm slipped, hit the glass (fortunately way down low) and made a small crack. Man was I bummed.

Cavah

2002 Hymer RV, 2500 chassis
Don't do what I did! Always stay mindful of the spring thrust toward windshield. I was changing in the rain and had the
passenger side wiper off and wiper arm slipped, hit the glass (fortunately way down low) and made a small crack. Man was I bummed.
been there myself, only I did it while helping a girl out who travelled to my town to pick up a T1N I had recently done a pre purchase inspection for. She was about to drive it home 5 hours in the rain and i was installing my spare set of wipers for her when I let one arm go and CRACK ! A huge crack along the whole bottom of windshield. She was going to tip me $200 for helping her out. ….. I told her to keep it to put towards a new windshield.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
One thing i've done is replace the longer driver's blade with the same-length as the passenger blade.
(i.e from a 22 inch to a 21 inch)

This makes "carrying a spare" far simpler, the slightly lessened sweep area isn't a problem (for me), and the blades don't "catch each other".
You're only losing a half-inch at each end.

--dick

There was a demo of aligning/bending the wiper arm to stop the dragging on the glass. I bet we all could put that to good use.

Whatever happened to the spraying? windshield rubber wipers I saw somewhere? As opposed to the single spray our wipers have, these looked like the best idea yet for keeping the windshield clear with multiple spray outlets along the rubber.

Top Bottom