PDA

View Full Version : Bugger: Diesel on Sump (Oilpan)

PeterInSa
08-08-2010, 02:46 AM
Having discussed this situation with a fellow traveller in Tassie some month ago, I kept a look out for similar sign on our vehicle. Last week starting up the vehicle after a cold spell (10deg C on the day)checked the sump no sign of any liquid it was dry, then after another look about 20sec later noticed fluid ie diesel on the forward part of the sump draining underneath.. O bother I might have said (if I was English)

Anyway traced it back to the High Pressure pump on the right side, seems to be coming from a seal, but where I cannot see it. Drop, 1,2, drop, 1,2, drop, 1,2, not fast but continuous onto the fan belt. Within about 60 secs the leak stopped. The sump dried up and if i had not been looking, would not have know about this issue. Bugger again,why did i look, dont need negative vibes.

Anyway read Jackbombay's very good article about High Pressure Pump removal and discussed it with my son who runs an Auto repair businnes who tells me he has seen HP pumps on Mercedes Benz vehicles leaking a lot worse than mine that the owners did not know about. Was this meant to cheer me up or indicate that I could continue driving our Pride and joy with the leak. ie it must have leaked about 1/3 of a cup of Diesel before stopping.

Thats probably the point of this thread Jackbombay repaired his HP Pump that leaked, but how long did he/you drive the vehicle before repairing/replacing.

With diesel leaking on the belt it must shorten the life of the belt, so I'm up for some work on our Sprinter, and will look at making the special removal tools.

Bugger ( An Australian term for an annoynance)

Peter

Altered Sprinter
08-08-2010, 02:52 AM
Having discussed this situation with a fellow traveller in Tassie some month ago, I kept a look out for similar sign on our vehicle. Last week starting up the vehicle after a cold spell (10deg C on the day)checked the sump no sign of any liquid it was dry, then after another look about 20sec later noticed fluid ie diesel on the forward part of the sump draining underneath.. O bother I might have said (if I was English)

Anyway traced it back to the High Pressure pump on the right side, seems to be coming from a seal, but where I cannot see it. Drop, 1,2, drop, 1,2, drop, 1,2, not fast but continuous onto the fan belt. Within about 60 secs the leak stopped. The sump dried up and if i had not been looking, would not have know about this issue. Bugger again,why did i look, dont need negative vibes.

Anyway read Jackbombay's very good article about High Pressure Pump removal and discussed it with my son who runs an Auto repair businnes who tells me he has seen HP pumps on Mercedes Benz vehicles leaking a lot worse than mine that the owners did not know about. Was this meant to cheer me up or indicate that I could continue driving our Pride and joy with the leak. ie it must have leaked about 1/3 of a cup of Diesel before stopping.

Thats probably the point of this thread Jackbombay repaired his HP Pump that leaked, but how long did he/you drive the vehicle before repairing/replacing.

With diesel leaking on the belt it must shorten the life of the belt, so I'm up for some work on our Sprinter, and will look at making the special removal tools.

Bugger ( An Australian term for an annoynance)

Peter
Bugger
Richard
:smilewink:

jackbombay
08-08-2010, 09:25 PM

I can ship a set of tools to you in Aus if you like, but if you have a welder and some steel around they are not too involved to make. There would be a touch more shipping, but shipping to europe and the UK is really not a whole lot more than around North america, it just takes longer.

As for your leak/my leak, I think I caught mine pretty soon as mine started leaking in the winter and I was plugging in an oil pan heater once a week or so and one time the oil pan was dry, the next time it was wet with diesel. Mine was just like yours, only leaked for a bit then once the pump warmed up slightly the o-rings swelled up enough to stop the leak. I just wanted it done, I figure I could have driven it like that for a while more, but as the diesel is supposed to stay in the pump I just pulled it and sent it off to Doktor A ASAP.

PeterInSa
08-09-2010, 03:52 AM
Thanks Jackbombay,
Am dissapointed though. my vehicle has only done 70,000Kms about 40,000 miles, my Toyota Landcruiser has done 365,000Kms or so and no work on the HP (injector?) Pump. is the reworked HP Pump on my Sprinter only going to last another 70,000Km regardless I will get it repaired.

Peter

Altered Sprinter
08-09-2010, 04:16 AM
Sorry your having a bad run Peter,I've just completed another three week trouble free 2500 K trip on roads[in part of] where your Camper, would not likely be able to go.loaded at 3300kg averaging a 1000 k run on each tank full.I may have actually exceed 0ver the one thousand mark,wont know till I refill the fuel liters to obtain the final reading for liters per hundred achieved.
I have never had a mechanical problem with my van since new,apart from my aux 220amp battery failing on the last day Friday just gone. as it had a 5 year warranty,so it was replaced free with the remaing two months left under the original warranty.every thing else is original,with the exception of brakes and the standard maintenance schedule's such as oils and filters etc.
I wish you well .
Cheers Richard

jackbombay
08-09-2010, 09:22 AM
Thanks Jackbombay,
Am dissapointed though. my vehicle has only done 70,000Kms about 40,000 miles, my Toyota Landcruiser has done 365,000Kms or so and no work on the HP (injector?) Pump. is the reworked HP Pump on my Sprinter only going to last another 70,000Km regardless I will get it repaired.

Peter

My high pressure pump made it a little longer, but I was a little dissapointed that it needed to be rebuilt with only ~75,000 miles on it...

What year is your van? I think they start leaking from time more than mileage...

PeterInSa
08-10-2010, 08:14 AM
Jack,
You may be right, Age, 313CDI made late 2003 first registered 2004.

Peter