PDA

View Full Version : 2007 engine check light

comet429
08-06-2010, 05:58 AM
I got this 07 new and have had no problems,until few day's ago...............been sitting and idling for 3 days on and off in 105 degree temp.
First 2 days never seen the engine check light the 3 day,there it was when I woke up that morning from sleeping with the A/C going all night.It just turn over 60,000 miles and I've changed oil every 8,000 to 10,000 miles.

So the ? is do you have to have a scan to to read the code.I look at the one on the dash when you hold the button for 30 sec.,but all I got was a 0208 code.

The light is still on and don't see, feel or hear anything different when driving.
Is there a way to check code without a scan tool................like how many long and short blinks or is that old school?

HappyFamilyVan
08-06-2010, 11:22 AM
I got this 07 new and have had no problems,until few day's ago...............been sitting and idling for 3 days on and off in 105 degree temp.
First 2 days never seen the engine check light the 3 day,there it was when I woke up that morning from sleeping with the A/C going all night.It just turn over 60,000 miles and I've changed oil every 8,000 to 10,000 miles.

So the ? is do you have to have a scan to to read the code.I look at the one on the dash when you hold the button for 30 sec.,but all I got was a 0208 code.

The light is still on and don't see, feel or hear anything different when driving.
Is there a way to check code without a scan tool................like how many long and short blinks or is that old school?

Unless you have adjusted your idling speed...with with the manual method (stick) or have an adjutment option....your Sprinter does not like idling for long periods and it is not recomended. You more than likely have, I may be wrong on the terms here, sooted up your DPF. Your dealer can perform a manual regen. But it sounds like you are on vacation camping....so try and take her out on the highway and bring her to highway speeds...and run for 30 mintues or so at those speeds...hopefully the regen process within the Spinter can clear you out till you get to a dealer.

Rememeber this advice is worth what you paid for it:smirk:

comet429
08-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Yes,I have a telescoping windshield squeegee that I put between the e-brake and pedal and adjust(around 1000 to 1200 rpm).
I move freight with it HAPPYFAMILYVAN.
I've done put over 1200 miles after the light came on and I've ran it harder than I've ever run it.......(rev to 4000 rpm a few times,harder take offs,and got it up about 82/83 mph once and still see,feel or hear anything wrong or different,but that light is a eye sore, when night driving. I guess when I get home I'll see if I can find the so called EGR valve and remove and clean it.

blackheart
08-08-2010, 12:01 AM
My check engine light never comes on with a EGR failure

HappyFamilyVan
08-08-2010, 12:06 AM
EGR...maybe...my money is on the DPF...from what I have learned...if you must idle...you should do between 1200-1500.
I am not a engine tech, but from what I understand...lower idle speedds do not let the "system" get hot enough to clean out the DPF.
When you bring it in...they may end of doing a regen.

Good Luck

comet429
08-08-2010, 10:20 PM
EGR...maybe...my money is on the DPF...from what I have learned...if you must idle...you should do between 1200-1500.
I am not a engine tech, but from what I understand...lower idle speedds do not let the "system" get hot enough to clean out the DPF.
When you bring it in...they may end of doing a regen.

Good LuckHow long can I run,if it's the DPF?
For that kind of money for a DPF, they'll have to come it.That will be the last straw for this thing.

jdcaples
08-08-2010, 11:29 PM
I think you should try to clear the code with a generic ODB scan device.... people say they can clear codes with a ScanguageII or a code reader/eraser at the local autoparts store.

That will take care of your eye sore if it's truly just an eye sore.

If the Check Engine Light comes back on you'll probably have to get it scanned with a factory scan tool and diagnosed by someone that works on NCV3 Sprinters more than occasionally.

-Jon

comet429
08-10-2010, 05:45 AM
I think you should try to clear the code with a generic ODB scan device.... people say they can clear codes with a ScanguageII or a code reader/eraser at the local autoparts store.

That will take care of your eye sore if it's truly just an eye sore.

If the Check Engine Light comes back on you'll probably have to get it scanned with a factory scan tool and diagnosed by someone that works on NCV3 Sprinters more than occasionally.

-JonMy son has a friend that had a ACTRON CP9175 and they plug it in and it had 2 codes (P242F And P242F PENDING) tried clearing codes and it cleared one of them,but not the one PENDING. Started it up and the light went,drove it back home( about 8 miles) turn it off then started it in just a few sec.,thought I was good to go. Come back out about 4 hours later and started it again the light was back on,so he came to the house cleared it again,turn the van off and started right back no light,turn it off until you hear something click and it sound like some pump turning off and started it back and the light was back on.

Called a Freightliner place and talk to them and they said it sound like it needs to be re-gen,so I ask how much and when can they do it. They said you have the Dodge version,so you have to call Dodge. I told them I have in the past And they don't do Sprinter's,that why I bring it to you(freightliner),well that might be under warranty and you have to call MB and tell them that you talk to different Dodge places in the area and no Dodge place will help you.Then MB will check into it and see. If no one will help,they will give us the ok(by e-mail). If that the problem it will take 2 to 3 days(after the ok).

They said that they will have to make print out and send to New Jersey and NJ sends it to Germany and then Germany sends a code back to NJ and then to them To re-flash with new code to re-gen.

So anybody out there have some Phone#'s I can call,that might make this a little less painful?
I need to get back to work.

jdcaples
08-10-2010, 08:43 AM
My son has a friend that had a ACTRON CP9175 and they plug it in and it had 2 codes (P242F And P242F PENDING) tried clearing codes and it cleared one of them,but not the one PENDING.

Come back out about 4 hours later and started it again the light was back on,

Called a Freightliner place and talk to them and they said it sound like it needs to be re-gen,so I ask how much and when can they do it. They said you have to call Dodge.

FL punts to MB

NJ punts to Germany

insert words code words like reflash, regen and secret incantation/telephone rituals

So anybody out there have some Phone#'s I can call,that might make this a little less painful?

1) P242F has been discussed a lot. See this thread: http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11750

2) I'm sorry you're getting the run-around. If you tell us where you're located maybe a member can help, or recommend a business (dealership or independent shop) that cares about customer service, with the right tools to get the job done.

-Jon

PS: after re-reading your story, the F/L dealership gave you a painful way out, but quite possibly cheaper than taking it to another business. If you can get it repaired under warranty that would be a good thing; both financially and you would probably be assured that you'll get the latest parts installed properly. There have been revisions since your (and my) 2007 Sprinter was built. I'm not sure why you'd need a reflash. The H44 recall is old news and the outreach to owners was fairly comprehensive. I have no info on a different "reflash." Read about the H44 recall here: http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5597

gary 32
08-10-2010, 03:08 PM
Then MB will check into it and see. If no one will help,they will give us the ok(by e-mail). If that the problem it will take 2 to 3 days(after the ok).

They said that they will have to make print out and send to New Jersey and NJ sends it to Germany and then Germany sends a code back to NJ and then to them To re-flash with new code to re-gen.

We have all been there, that's the Sprinter shuffle.

Jon's suggestion about a good local MB or Dodge service department is just smart, some dealers are very helpful but handcuffed by american and german bs, check the forum dealer reviews.

I am no expert but intake clogging from low temps and low air volumes is a common post. I do like your oil change intervals, clean oil can only help. I never allow my Sprinter to idle with low pyro readings, I just shut it off. You know the issue, maybe a really simple back up power system?

I own a Nov. 07 with the same egr system still in place, I cheat by using an ecu tune with egr defeat written in. I have no first hand experience with egr/intake clogging to date.

comet429
08-10-2010, 03:43 PM
I live in Anderson, South Carolina

gary 32
08-10-2010, 04:12 PM
Here in Los Angeles frieghtliner never sold sprinters, only Dodge and now MB.
Quick look of your region reveals little, I did not see any recommended Dodge service only MB of Augusta, MB of S. Charlotte with no reviews.

jdcaples
08-10-2010, 04:30 PM
MB of Alpharetta, GA got props from kkanuck: http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9385 - I know it's like 140 miles from Anderson, SC.... You're also about 180 miles from Ladson, SC - the place where US Sprinter cargo vans are put back together after being broken down into "parts" in Germany....

The Ladson building's not a service facility, but I liked the idea of you showing up and leaving your Sprinter with a sign that says, "Return to sender. Please remit payment in the sum of $60,000 USD to <you>."

Ahem....

I agree that you're kind of far from help.

I tend to think your driving 1200 miles at 80+ mph after the CEL illuminated should have been enough to get an active regen of the DPF, so I don't know for a fact that executing a manual regeneration will resolve the issue.

I think you're in for some replacement parts: at least the EGR valve and temp sensor; hopefully the cooler (but MB refused to replace my cooler).

I'm surprised you're not in limp mode (hard to get up to speed, no turbo, no transmission drop to the next lowest gear during hard acceleration), so maybe you can afford to negotiate the BS and get the diagnosis and remediation the van needs.

Good luck

-Jon