PDA

View Full Version : 3.0 Differences

Proper Piper
08-05-2010, 03:27 AM
Dose anyone know if its only tuning or are there physical defferences that give the 2010 3.0
deisel engine a boost in HP/torke outputs??? You know where i'm going with this, right!

piper1
08-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Hello "proper" piper (does that make me the un proper piper?)

2010 NAFTA engine uses SCR (the urea stuff) to help control NOx (the smog stuff) instead of just EGR alone (07-09). The amount of exhaust put back into the engine is lower with SCR, meaning there is more "good" air to be utilized and thus more fuel can be injected, which makes more HP.

Not 100% sure on the OM642, but every other engine that I have better info on that went to SCR also had an increase in the advance level of the injection timing, this makes for a more powerful fuel burn in most cases. It creates more NOx but now it gets cleaned up downstream with the SCR as opposed to before when NOx control was all done in the engine combustion chamber (with that nasty EGR).

Graphite Dave
08-05-2010, 03:10 PM
What are the smog control differences between Sprinters sold in the USA and those sold in Europe? Are the USA EGR controls different than the controls in other countries? It is hard to believe that all Sprinters around the world suffer from EGR problems. The 07 thru 09 USA Sprinters have a system that does not work without frequent EGR replacements. Seems to me that Mercedes has a responsibility to admit their design errors and offer a revised system. When I pay over $40,000 for a vehicle, I expect it to be supported by the manufactuer. Are they just waiting for us to put enough miles on the vehicle so they get out of the warrenty and it becomes our problem and not theirs?
Could we modify our Sprinters by removing/changing something? I remember removing the vanes out of the smog pump and plugging the manifold holes on my new 66 El Camino to make it run properly. Looked like all the smog stuff was there but it was disabled. I know I will get some heat from harming the Mother Earth but so be it.
FYI I had to have my EGR replaced under warrenty at 20,084 miles. It was noted on the repair order that "the EGR valve was replaced with 01 stamped EGR valve". Is that a redesigned valve? On my 08 (144" WB,high top,3.92 ratio) there was a noticable increase in power and fuel mileage improved. Four fillups prior to replacement yielded 1318/64.67 = 20.38 mpg. Four fillups after replacement yielded 1277/58.89 = 21.68 mpg.

silverstar84
08-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Are they just waiting for us to put enough miles on the vehicle so they get out of the warrenty and it becomes our problem and not theirs?

YES!

jdcaples
08-06-2010, 01:36 AM
There are too many electronic control units (computers) and sensors to just rip hardware off w/o impacting functionality.

Comparing a Sprinter to a '66 El Camino isn't really a fair comparision. The oldest electronically controlled engine I've seen in person is a 1970 ('71, maybe '72) MB gas burning sedan imported from Germany back in the mid-1980s.

Interestingly enough, that control unit sits in the same place as the one in my 2007 Sprinter.... driver side of the engine compartment.... they're both silver and both have heat-sinking fins on the upper side of the module's case.

If you want to defeat the EGR system, it can be done.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=84923&postcount=5

-Jon

PS: I agree that it's really unfortunate that every conglomerate like Daimler uses locally licensed shell companies and fine print to avoid being held personally (corporately?) responsible for their products.

You pays your money and you takes your chances.