PDA

View Full Version : Anyone researched adding a water/methanol system?

suzieque
08-02-2010, 08:22 PM
I've been interested in water/methanol injection to reduce EGT when towing maybe increase fuel economy. Has anyone added a water/methanol system or researched adding a water/methanol system to a om642 engine?

jdcaples
08-02-2010, 11:40 PM
I researched water/methanol injection systems to reduce soot. As of a year ago, no one had made one for the MB OM642. The generic ones require drilling, tapping and other activities I'm not qualified to execute.

Further, an MB tech - after he replaced my EGR valve - told me that he feels the OM642 family of EGR coolers do their job too well. He also said that he felt it was overly cooled exhaust gas being recirculated is at least associated with EGR system fouling.

-Jon

suzieque
08-03-2010, 03:18 PM
I researched water/methanol injection systems to reduce soot. As of a year ago, no one had made one for the MB OM642. The generic ones require drilling, tapping and other activities I'm not qualified to execute.

Further, an MB tech - after he replaced my EGR valve - told me that he feels the OM642 family of EGR coolers do their job too well. He also said that he felt it was overly cooled exhaust gas being recirculated is at least associated with EGR system fouling.

-Jon

I don't think the drilling and tapping would be more than inserting a fitting in the air intake tube close to the turbo, but I've not seen an install done on a om642 so I'm not sure about the hookup.

interesting comment about the egr.