PDA

View Full Version : Are glow plugs a drive-train warranty item?

ironman69
07-31-2010, 02:13 AM
I have a 2008 Dodge Sprinter in Canada, it is at 68K so all I have left is drive train warranty.
My glow plug light and engine light came on yesterday. I took it to the dealer and they said that 2 of my glowplugs were "dead" but he suggested that I replace all 6 since they were in there. I told them go ahead and 1000$ later they are done. I was thinking after .... should they be a warranty item? I had a Ford diesel and never had any glow plugs problems and I sold the truck at 220000km. I understand that spark plugs are a wear out item but glow plugs are a permanent thing? Or am I off my rocker??

Any help/info is appreciated

autostaretx
07-31-2010, 04:38 AM
In a VW Rabbit i was acquainted with in the mid 1980's, glow plugs were definitely a "wear item".

If you were at lower latitudes, then losing two glow plugs (if they died "open" versus "shorted") would not be much of an issue.

But, in the Great North, they may be more of a "need" than a "nice to have".
(other factors can influence that: if you ran the booster heater to warm the engine before attempting to start, they're back to "nice")

--dick

ironman69
07-31-2010, 06:00 AM
Thanx for the info. Anyone else have a direct sprinter experience?

jdcaples
07-31-2010, 11:53 AM
I can't find the Canadian version on line. Attached is a PDF of the US Dodge Sprinter Warranty booklet.

I've no idea if Canadian warranty rules/laws/guidelines are identical to US laws.

I have a hard copy of this document which was included with the paper products comprising my US owners manual package.

Maybe one of your fellow Canadians can look in their owners manual package for a warranty booklet.

-Jon

ironman69
07-31-2010, 05:42 PM
I can't find the Canadian version on line. Attached is a PDF of the US Dodge Sprinter Warranty booklet.

I've no idea if Canadian warranty rules/laws/guidelines are identical to US laws.

I have a hard copy of this document which was included with the paper products comprising my US owners manual package.

Maybe one of your fellow Canadians can look in their owners manual package for a warranty booklet.

-Jon

SO according to page 28 of the document attatched it should be covered under warranty?

ironman69
07-31-2010, 06:01 PM
The only warranty book that I can find online is here
http://www.chryslercanada.ca/owners/en/manuals/2008/2008_VB_SPRINTER.pdf

but it doesn't say anything specific to glow plugs.

If I pay for this service (i am going to pick up truck today) and I find out later for certain that it should be covered under warranty, what can I do?

Thanx for the help

kendall69
08-04-2010, 07:50 AM
Page 28

If you have any questions regarding your warranty rights, and
responsibilities, you should contact the
DaimlerChrysler Motors Company, LLC National Customer
Relations at (800) 992-1997 or the California Air Resources Board
at 9480 Telstar, Suite 4, El Monte, CA 91731.
A warranted part which is scheduled for replacement as
required maintenance is warranted up to the first scheduled
replacement point.
Prior to the expiration of the applicable warranty, Owner must
give notice of any warranted emission control failure to an
authorized Sprinter dealer and deliver the vehicle to such facility
for repair.
Owner is responsible for incidental costs such as: communication
expenses, meals, lodging incurred by Owner or employee of
Owner as a result of a Warrantable Condition.
Owner is responsible for "downtime" expenses, cargo damage,
fines, all applicable taxes, all business costs, and other losses
resulting from a warrantable condition.
Coverage
SHORT-TERM EMISSION-RELATED PARTS:
I. Fuel Metering System:
High pressure injection pump
Fuel injector
Electronic accelerator value sensor
Fuel tank pressure valve (incld. in rail)
Fuel rail pressure sensor
Fuel temperature sensor
II. Glow System:
Glow control unit
Glow plug
III. Air Intake System:
Intercooler
IV. Exhaust Gas Recirculation System
EGR valve
EGR cooler

ironman69
08-04-2010, 02:51 PM
The only problem for me is that these rules/laws apply in the US and I dint think they apply to me in Canada :(

Sprinter NB
08-04-2010, 08:36 PM
On A 2010 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter in Canada the glow plugs are covered by the 5 year or 160,000km emission warranty. I can't speak to what Dodge offered in 2008.

ironman69
08-04-2010, 11:26 PM
Is there any Canadian Dodge dealers out there that can confirm/deny warrenty for glow plugs on a 2008 Dodge Sprinter?

jdcaples
08-05-2010, 01:50 AM
Is there any Canadian Dodge dealers out there that can confirm/deny warrenty for glow plugs on a 2008 Dodge Sprinter?

I think you should call Chrysler Canada's customer service.

-Jon

ironman69
08-05-2010, 02:18 AM
I have been meaning too but have been too busy during the day. And they are only open till 5:15est. Too early for us west coasters. Will try tomorrow.

kkanuck
11-04-2010, 02:11 PM
Has anyone in the USA had warranty performed on a 2004 Sprinter under Engine or PT warranty while still in effect of course?

baransky76
11-06-2010, 01:50 AM
So far glow plugs are not covered under warranty if you pass your standard warranty ( 3 years / 36,000 miles ) in States . Have first hand expirience . My brother have '08 and two weeks ago dealer fix alot of stuff but not this .But glow plug is not that expensive item and if you are handy little bit it's easy to change them .

glas1700
11-07-2010, 01:54 AM
SO according to page 28 of the document attatched it should be covered under warranty?

The warranty info on page 28 is for California vehicles only, not US Federal or Canadian. You should look at the Federal Emission Warranty on pages 18 through 21.

Byron

ironman69
11-11-2010, 06:27 PM
I did phone Dodge customer service and after a couple phone calls I got to talk to someone who pretended to know what she was talking about. She reviewed my question and part number in question and confirmed the dealers conclusion. Glow plugs are NOT covered after initial 60k km warranty. :thumbdown: