PDA

View Full Version : Boost Press Sensor In Air Filter Housing?

silverstar84
07-30-2010, 04:14 PM
I reminded myself that there is a high probability many other shops probabally have worked on this truck before I bought it.
I also remembered my part guy telling me when we were looking up the B5/1 that there were some footnotes. Something like there has been cases where other componets on this engine can be faulty and yet the computer gives the code I am chasing.
I plugged a new boost press sensor, B5/1, in for fun and still have the 800hPa. A default reading if boost press sensor is unpluged. I have check wires from boost press sensor to engine computer and they are good. I replaced engine computer and still have same problem. So I gave it some time for me to think about.
Then...standing there with a deer in the headlight look, my eyes focused on the air cleaner.
There is a sensor in the air cleaner, I looked at the part number, and looked harder to realize it is the same part number as the B5/1, boost press sensor.
Here is where I am asking this forum for help.
I cannot determin for sure what the part number is for the sensor in the air filter housing.
2007, Sprinter, 2500, 642 engine. I have pictures below. If the picture looks like your engine, I would so much appriciate someone giving me the part number of the sensor in the air filter.
Looking at the electronic parts catalog I have guessed twice and been wrong.
Can someone tell me the part number for this sensor?
The reason I am asking is this sensor that is in my air filter is a boost press sensor.
The boost press sensor goes in the charge air pipe down and in front of the engine.
I feel sure it would not be the same.
I remember replacing the old boost press sensor and it looked old.
Now that I look at this, I think some other shop ordered a boost press sensor and put it in the wrong hole.
Here is a picture.

piper1
07-30-2010, 07:25 PM
Went out and looked at mine and have these sensor numbers actually on the van

Air filter restriction sensor (on AF housing) A 005 153 50 28

Boost sensor (on intake pipe below EGR blend pipe) A 006 153 15 28

Both sensors have the same footprint and screw hole locations, however, the round sensor part (where the label is) is much smaller on the AF sensor than it is on the boost. This would make sense to me as the boost sensor needs to measure positive pressure (20+psi) and hot air and would need to be more robust than the AF sensor that needs to measure a small negative pressure (30 in/Hg) of cooler air.

I looked in my parts info (which is out of date by now I'm sure), the boost sensor number is good and translates to Dodge number 05117545AB, which the Dodge parts book I have says is the MAP (boost) sensor. The part number for the AF sensor in my Dodge book is A68012053AA which translates into MB # A 006 153 49 28. The actual sensor on the van (A 005 153 50 28) translates into Dodge number 05101120AB.

Dunno if that helps.`

silverstar84
07-30-2010, 08:32 PM
Went out and looked at mine and have these sensor numbers actually on the van

Air filter restriction sensor (on AF housing) A 005 153 50 28

Boost sensor (on intake pipe below EGR blend pipe) A 006 153 15 28

Both sensors have the same footprint and screw hole locations, however, the round sensor part (where the label is) is much smaller on the AF sensor than it is on the boost. This would make sense to me as the boost sensor needs to measure positive pressure (20+psi) and hot air and would need to be more robust than the AF sensor that needs to measure a small negative pressure (30 in/Hg) of cooler air.

I looked in my parts info (which is out of date by now I'm sure), the boost sensor number is good and translates to Dodge number 05117545AB, which the Dodge parts book I have says is the MAP (boost) sensor. The part number for the AF sensor in my Dodge book is A68012053AA which translates into MB # A 006 153 49 28. The actual sensor on the van (A 005 153 50 28) translates into Dodge number 05101120AB.

Dunno if that helps.`

Yessss,
This fits what I felt I was having such a struggle with.
And I too feel the boost press sensor would read positive where the AF sensor possibly would read negative. If this proves right it should make my engine computer happy and maybe this truck will get out of it's own way.
I have part on order,
Thank you very much.
I will keep you posted.
Michael