Brake dust

xfordfan

And lots of it. bout a 1000 miles on new van, cleaned rim s 3 times already. could clean them every day. Any way around this. Swap off pads? thank again, john:yell:

Carterwlsn

Our Sprinter and Ford Expedition both have the same brake dust problem. When I complained about my brakes squeeling, I was informed by our local Sprinter dealer that the brake pads are a special high friction pad. The dust dosn't bother me too much, because I wash my vehicles about once a week anyway. There might be an aftermarket pad for the Sprinter, but I wonder how it would compair to the OEM pad in breaking power.
BTW, don't you just love Ford's service:thumbdown: .

xfordfan

BTW, don't you just love Ford's service:thumbdown: .[/QUOTE]

Every problem i had with my 05 ford e350 Ext sd 6.0 powerJOKE, dealer said was normal. Was in shop 27 times for a total of 42 days. Averaged about 13.7 mpgs With a 377 gear. Biggest POS!!!!!! I ever owned. In for EGR 7 times. Owned it 17 months. Good ridens, Im finally Happy. Could do without the brake dust though. Any thouts on ceramic pads...

Carterwlsn

I hear ceramic pads don't have the same dust problems as regular pads. I think also they eat the rotors more than regular pads. Give them a try. I might try aftermarket ceramic pads when they need to be replaced.
LOL, you got the "It's Normal'' line too. I lost count of the times I had to take my 04 Ranger in to three different dealers because of hard shifting, along with a spark knock /detonation problem and other squeaks and rattles. I did figure out the shifting problem because of the idiots at one of the dealers. I had the transmission flushed at 30,000 miles and on the way home I noticed it was shifting smooth. After I got home I pulled the dipstick to check behind them and guess what...the fluid was barely on the bottom of the stick, not even within the operating range! When I made them fill it up, the hard shifting returned. After about a week of this, I lowered the fluid to the bottom of the operating range and it started shifting smoothly again. I still like my Ranger but Ford service sucks. I now enjoy bashing Ford every chance I get.
On the contrary, I have had good luck out of my local Dodge dealer (knock on wood). I have a bad case of the common RSN on my 140’’WB Sprinter. The service manager actually acknowledged there was a problem and had the regional Sprinter tech come from another state to have a test drive. He determined it was the drive shaft angle causing the problem. They are now waiting on a kit to fix the problem. He also told me it that didn’t fix the problem they would replace the transmission or whatever else to keep me happy. This might be lip service, but we will see.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Well thank you that's the first post that acknowledges what I have said all along.
The only kit MB has is for the 06 07 models and that's not a retro fit but it will adapt in part, along with a Two peice drive shaft replacement, including up graded harmonic balancers, flexi plate, and rear gearbox bearing.
Richard
PS the brake pads that have this excessive dust problem , was a Euro safety mandate from 1995 to 2000 I think, eliminating asbestos in the brake lining MEANT A MUCH SOFTER LINING AND THE RESULT BLACK DUST TWO DAYS AND THEY ARE CAKED IN IT, BUT THEY LAST THE LONG HAUL.

Top Bottom