PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Mercedes Sprinter Questions

socaldodger
07-26-2010, 09:00 AM
Hi,

I have a 2003 Ford E-350 SD that I'm thinking of replacing with the Mercedes Sprinter 3500 SHC. What mileage are they getting loaded and unloaded? My E-350 6,8 V10 is getting 13.6-14 mpg at best. Does a 40x48 pallet fit in the back? I remember coming across a thread where they mentioned that it didn't? I just want to confirm as its very important. How much should I expect to pay OTD? Are there any discounts/rebates going on right now? This van will be driven 100-600 miles Mon-Sat so I need something that saves fuel and is reliable. Should I just wait a bit and buy a used one? Any help/info would be greatly appreciated. TIA

jdcaples
07-27-2010, 03:36 AM
A 40x48 pallet won't fit between the wheel wells of a NAFTA 3500 Sprinter.

It will likely fit through the side door, however... you just can't load it over the axles.

Pay very close attentiont to the payload ratings. I think you'll find your E-350 will accept a higher payload - and perhaps tow load - than a Sprinter 3500.

That aside, I think you'll probably get a bit more miles out of a gallon of fuel, all things being equal. I also think you'll find the Sprinter handles better, is more comfortable and you will not miss bending over in the cargo bay. Your back might have the final say, depending on your business.

The dimensions are posted in NCV3 Database. They're the same for 2007-2010.
-Jon

mean_in_green
07-27-2010, 06:05 AM
It's true - the NCV3 internal wheelarch distance is 980mm, making it quite useless for anyone who may want to load a standard 40x48 pallet (100x120cm in English). All the more ironic considering its additional weight capacity?

Here's a thing - I have noticed here in the UK that some of the companies who do minibus conversions with the NCV3 dually appear to chop the tops of the wheel arch boxes and make them properly flat, dropping the tops down by a significant amount. I'll try to snap a photo and post it up.

I did briefly think about getting a dually and having a false floor to compensate for the wheel arch issue but decided I wouldn't be able to live with the reduced volume or raised centre of gravity. Living where I do meant I was fortunate enough to be able to order a different yet suitable alternative (Super Single rear axle) sadly this is currently only available to the Euro market.

punter
07-27-2010, 06:37 AM
You can get a 2500 if you do not carry more than 2800 pounds

http://www.mbsprinterusa.com/vehicles/cargo-van/models/specifications.php

socaldodger
08-01-2010, 01:23 AM
A 40x48 pallet won't fit between the wheel wells of a NAFTA 3500 Sprinter.

It will likely fit through the side door, however... you just can't load it over the axles.

Pay very close attentiont to the payload ratings. I think you'll find your E-350 will accept a higher payload - and perhaps tow load - than a Sprinter 3500.

That aside, I think you'll probably get a bit more miles out of a gallon of fuel, all things being equal. I also think you'll find the Sprinter handles better, is more comfortable and you will not miss bending over in the cargo bay. Your back might have the final say, depending on your business.

The dimensions are posted in NCV3 Database. They're the same for 2007-2010.
-Jon

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The van will be used for foodservice distribution. The payload on the E-350 from what I've found on the internet is 4,160. The 2010 MB Sprinter 3500 170 WB EXT has a payload of 4,845 if I go with the GVWR of 11030. Does that mean I have to stop at the scales since it's over 10,000 lbs?

Does anyone know if the dimensions will change for 2011? It's a bummer that I can't slide pallets through the back. Also can I order the Mega Roof on the 2010 MB model? The more space we have the better.

Thanks

Altered Sprinter
08-01-2010, 01:53 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The van will be used for foodservice distribution. The payload on the E-350 from what I've found on the internet is 4,160. The 2010 MB Sprinter 3500 170 WB EXT has a payload of 4,845 if I go with the GVWR of 11030. Does that mean I have to stop at the scales since it's over 10,000 lbs? Be specifically aware 11030 Lbs is for the cab over chassis model not the van this is just under ten thousand pounds unless you pre order a 5 T series variant. suspension ordering is one thing, a final axle ratio of 4.364 or an optional ratio of 4.727 can not be ordered with an automatic transmission,your stuck with a 3.923 ratio.

Does anyone know if the dimensions will change for 2011? It's a bummer that I can't slide pallets through the back.
SuSi super single wide rear is a Global variant, for a 4 series sprinter up to 4.95 Metric tonne.
Not available in the NAFTA Market .manual transmissions are preferred.
These units have a pre-ordered 2000KG front axle loading capacity.
Also can I order the Mega Roof on the 2010 MB model? The more space we have the better.

Thanks The maximum height available is from ground to top of roof { 2.995Meters}
internal width from rear wheels takes a 4 foot wide pallet. but not with dual rear wheels.
Roof height from cargo floor, to top of roof on a LWB Super High roof variant. Is 2.140 meter.
Richard

autostaretx
08-01-2010, 03:38 AM
You can get a 2500 if you do not carry more than 2800 pounds
You might look into an -old- (T1N, pre-2007) model.
My 2005 118" WB short roof 2500 weighs about 4100 pounds with fuel and driver, leaving 4400 pounds for payload.

And, since it's single wheels, it can accept pallets from the rear (i was forked for the first time last week).

--dick

Aqua Puttana
08-01-2010, 01:13 PM
(i was forked for the first time last week).

--dick
Dick,
You did avoid that for many years. Did you smoke afterward? Diesels sometimes will.

I know... off topic. vic

autostaretx
08-01-2010, 04:51 PM
You did avoid that for many years.I've led a sheltered life.
Did you smoke afterward?No, but i sagged a bit, and the rear end felt... strange.

I do wish i'd measured the before/after body-to-road distance,
given that i knew the weight of the pallet full of clay that had just been loaded over the rear axle.
It would be a quick load gauge for the future.

--dick
(learned: be wary of ceramic artists who ask you to "pick something up" on your way to visit them...)
(p.s. it -really- helped quiet road noise...)

jdcaples
08-01-2010, 09:43 PM
My 2007, 144" WB 2500 has a GVWR of 8550, If I recall correctly.

With the fold-up shelving and me, that leaves about 3000 lbs of payload, which is around 300 lbs less than I could haul with my last "1-ton" diesel cargo van (which weighed less empty than my Sprinter).

I didn't have a problem hauling enough sheeting in my Sprinter to replace a total tear off of a 10 square roof.

The fork lift driver had doubts - as he eye'd the "2500" on the side of my Sprinter, shaking his head - telling me he wouldn't put 3000 lbs of wood in a 3/4 ton van.

I showed him the GVWR on the driver's seat base and told him the van weighs 5200 lbs + change empty at the dump scale.

After some basic subtraction, he reluctantly agreed.

The sheets of plywood fit between the wheel wells (4'x8' in American :)).... and before you call BS on the story, yes, we had to load each sheet from the fork lift, turn it 90 degrees and slide each sheet in by hand because a normal fork lift - at least in these parts - can't handle a 4' wide, 8' deep load.

-Jon

PS: in hindsight, I don't actually know how much the wood weighed. I could have been over-loaded; I just trusted him and it was fine.

cedarsanctum
08-02-2010, 04:14 AM
The sheets of plywood fit between the wheel wells (4'x8' in American :)).... and before you call BS on the story, yes, we had to load each sheet from the fork lift, turn it 90 degrees and slide each sheet in by hand because a normal fork lift - at least in these parts - can't handle a 4' wide, 8' deep load.

Suggestion; next time park the fork lift perpendicular to the van with the sheets in line lengthwise. Then no turning is required, they slide right in.
Jef

mbgtown
08-02-2010, 08:27 PM
Specs and pricing is available at www.mbgtown.com, click on the 2011 Sprinter Order Guide link.

autostaretx
08-03-2010, 12:21 AM
Fascinating... for a 144 inch wheelbase 2500 normal roof, the Crew Van "option" costs $1300 more.
For a 170 inch wheelbase 3500 High Roof, the Crew Van "option" is $700 -cheaper-.
(i wonder if we're going to see a glut of "not very used" seats on the market?)

thanks for the heads-up on the pricing update
--dick

psalm66
08-04-2010, 11:47 PM
Ordered a new 2010 Sprinter in May. Checked and it's still statused as "in Germany". How long does it take to get one of these things delivered to the USA? I've read in the forum that the factory in Germany shut down for August and orders are now being taken for 2011 models! :snore:

flman
08-05-2010, 01:28 AM
Ordered a new 2010 Sprinter in May. Checked and it's still statused as "in Germany". How long does it take to get one of these things delivered to the USA? I've read in the forum that the factory in Germany shut down for August and orders are now being taken for 2011 models! :snore:

Sales man told me it is like 100 days, so you might be getting close?

mbgtown
08-05-2010, 05:07 AM
You missed the note after the base price chart on my blog. The Crew models are only 2500 series not a 3500, so the 2500 170" Crew is the same $1300 over the price of a Cargo van. At least we won't have to do what they do with the Ford Transit, and take out the seats that avoid the "Chicken Tax" and shred them.

****Be watching for our Sprinter Service Facility Grand Opening****

Fascinating... for a 144 inch wheelbase 2500 normal roof, the Crew Van "option" costs $1300 more.
For a 170 inch wheelbase 3500 High Roof, the Crew Van "option" is $700 -cheaper-.
(i wonder if we're going to see a glut of "not very used" seats on the market?)

thanks for the heads-up on the pricing update
--dick