Code P0299

pgr

This code just popped up on my '04 T1N. It says "T/Supercharger underboost". I reset it with my ScanGuage but is it something that needs servicing? Any suggestions on where to start looking?

Thanks,

pgr

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
This code just popped up on my '04 T1N. It says "T/Supercharger underboost". I reset it with my ScanGuage but is it something that needs servicing? Any suggestions on where to start looking?

Thanks,

pgr
replace resonator Q5: Look for split hose connected to the turbo.
Richard

jarldeboer

Re: Code P0299 and resonator troubles

Bought our 2006 Sprinter with the 5 cyl. about 18 months ago. I'm a retired professional mechanic/shop owner. On a trip from San Francisco to Texas it cracked the plastic turbo resonator so had 1500 miles of limp mode. Dealer in Albuquerque kindly replaced it while we waited, but it was $250. Now, 800 miles and a year later it cracked a seam again. Thanks to this forum, I knew to find the aluminum replacement ($98 - $128 on eBay) and replaced it in 20 minutes (but PLUS half an hour to deal with the cross-threaded 6mm bolt on the bracket from last year's repair) This forum is INVALUABLE! My analysis is that the immediate failure was due to MY driving. I carried an 1800 lb Crosley car in the back and did not downshift to 4th while climbing the Grapevine on I-5 in moderate heat. Too much heat under-hood, plastic warped and seam parted. :professor:

sailquik

jarldeboer,
Yes, the heat on the plastic resonator isn't good, but think about that same heat in the plastic while it's
retaining 30-36 PSIA MAP pressure and you are running well below the most efficient/powerful/fuel saving
RPM range.
If you were to purchase a Scan Gauge II (or similar OBD-II performance monitoring gauge package) you would
be able to tell very quickly when the engine load/map pressure/fuel flow get too high, and manually downshift
to the next lower gear to reduce the % engine Load/reduce the MAP pressure/ decrease the fuel flow (sometimes
by as much as 50%).
The sensors are already on your engine, but MB gave you no way to see what engine management is (and is not) doing
for you.
Once you can monitor what the sensors are telling the ECM you can become involved in lowering all of the above and
also stop the engine coolant and transmission fluid temperatures from rising.
Will pay for itself in fuel savings in about a year!
Hope this helps,
Roger

jarldeboer

Sailquik, already have one and upgraded to a higher function one last year, but now carry it on "tow" trips for monitoring. I was just using it for code checks, but your suggestion is a valid and valuable one. Thanks, Jarl

Top Bottom