PDA

View Full Version : Auxilary battery under the hood

boing745
07-20-2010, 01:57 AM
Looking for a picture or specs how to put or install and auxilary battery under the hood of a 2007 dodge sprinter. Has anyone done it here? or can u send me a link?

Also any links of generators installed in these vans or room mounted ac units?

rheckert
07-20-2010, 12:47 PM
I personally am not aware of any Sprinters that have an aux battery under the hood, mine is located under the passenger side front seat.

Altered Sprinter
07-20-2010, 01:10 PM
I'm amusing 2007 is a NCV and not a 2006 plated Tin
Be aware of alternator options and battery comparability or you will have problems.
Richard

gerrym51
07-20-2010, 02:25 PM
NCV3 auxiliary battery option for sprinter van has the auxiliary battery under the hood. I believe picturees and documentation were shown in the 2007 options manual that jon caples put somwhre on this site. I suggest you query Jon.

gerry

Altered Sprinter
07-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Please be aware again with both Battery options as to alternators the 12 v standard socket is not for AUX
Worst case senerio you will blow the fuse on the main terminal under your transmission floor which will result in complate wireing harness being replaced.
Richard.

ohlsonmh
07-20-2010, 04:45 PM
While we're at it, does anyone have info on how the Aux battery under the passenger (right side) seat works?

Is there any provision for this battery to actually be useful - such as a way to start the vehicle with it in an emergency?

Just what is that battery there FOR??

Just wondering -Oly

2004 T1n

TonyF
07-20-2010, 04:49 PM
My '07Roadtrek conversion has two 6 volt golf cart batteries under the hood that supply power to the RV. Attached is a picture:

autostaretx
07-20-2010, 07:07 PM
While we're at it, does anyone have info on how the Aux battery under the passenger (right side) seat works?
Er, electrons go in and out?
Usually there's a "battery isolator" relay under the driver's seat (or in with the Auxiliary battery).
When the Sprinter is running, that relay connects the Aux battery in parallel with the starter battery, and they both get charged. When the Sprinter is not running, the "isolator" separates the Aux battery from the starter battery, and leaves it available for powering your desired accessories, without fear of discharging the starter battery.

Is there any provision for this battery to actually be useful - such as a way to start the vehicle with it in an emergency?
Some isolators provide that "emergency bypass" (so that the Aux battery can charge the starter battery).
The wire thickness required to allow the Aux battery to actually -run- the -starter- (contrasted to "charge the starter battery") make having the Aux battery directly drive the starter uneconomical. Just wait 5 minutes for the back-charging, and -then- try the starter.

Just what is that battery there FOR?? Powering "stuff"... and things you want powered when the Sprinter is off.
It also allows you to power "stuff" (TV's, sound systems, computers, many interior lights) overnight without worrying about having a dead starter battery in the morning.

Me? I have a separate portable battery box (with 1000watt inverter mounted on the lid) that i recharge from "shore power".
It powers things for our minimal RV "conversion", such as the microwave.
My under-seat area is filled with tools and other useful items.

--dick

dodger413
07-20-2010, 07:25 PM
i, too, have an auxilary battery under the hood. i believe there is an electronic circuit that charges and keeps this battery isolated.

i realize the battery is for powering "stuff". why is there provision to hook things up and actually use this battery. even if a junction block was provided somewhere in the driving compartment, it would be a start. it seems otherwise, to make that battery even remotely usable, the owner must wire the whole system himself to avail himself of any usability. the owners manual merely warns against any jump-starting or other damage causing activity with this battery.

i would love to run stuff off this battery during camping.

anybody have any wiring diagrams or help activating this battery?

NBB
07-20-2010, 09:00 PM
i, too, have an auxilary battery under the hood. i believe there is an electronic circuit that charges and keeps this battery isolated.

i realize the battery is for powering "stuff". why is there provision to hook things up and actually use this battery. even if a junction block was provided somewhere in the driving compartment, it would be a start. it seems otherwise, to make that battery even remotely usable, the owner must wire the whole system himself to avail himself of any usability. the owners manual merely warns against any jump-starting or other damage causing activity with this battery.

i would love to run stuff off this battery during camping.

anybody have any wiring diagrams or help activating this battery?

If it's under the hood, then you have a 2007+, I'll assume, with the aux batt package.

The lighter socket under the driver's seat, near the e-brake, is the only factory accessory to use the aux battery. It's pretty easy to wire stuff in, really, but if you are not handy in this way, there are a lot of outlet strips and accessories and what-not that you can hook into these 12v sockets.

Altered Sprinter
07-21-2010, 02:35 AM
Please be aware again with both Battery options as to alternators the 12 v standard socket is not for AUX
Worst case scenario you will blow the fuse on the main terminal under your transmission floor which will result in complete wiring harness being replaced.
Richard.

Or 100% totally independent of any assisted Mercedes Sprinters electrical system
This Electronic Dual Battery Isolator it's own inbuilt microprocessor
Thius unit has many advantages over the older blue-seas units.
as to one is marine the latter shown is exclusive for RV use.
Isolator Status
LED Operation
Normal Automatic Operation
Standby
Start charging
Stop charging.

Override Operation
Start-Override
Stop-Override

Fault
Auxiliary Battery Fault
Charging -Over Current.
Override Over Current

Richard

kthflieger
07-21-2010, 02:18 PM
Be careful with the installation. When I bought mine, it had a bank of four 6 volt batteries hooked up to be charged from the alternator via an isolator. Aparently it had blown the alternator once before I got the vehicle. Then less than 100 miles after I owned it, the new (and improper alternator installed by the dodge dealer under warranty) blew. Fortunately my alternator replacement was also under warranty and I have since removed that bank of batteries and charge them only from shore power. According to the dodge dealer, the most recent alternator would have cost me close to $1000 had it not been for the warranty. Add to that the cost of reprogramming the computer to get it to accept the new alternator.

wmlog
08-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Sprinter auxilary batteries are wired only to 12v power outlets, and nothing else. After all, they are for auxiliary use - that is auxiliary devices that you choose to add to your sprinter. The vehicle fuse blocks can be used or you can use others.

On sprinters through 2006 (VA) the main (starter) battery was located under the hood and the factory auxiliary battery was installed in the passenger seat base. On later sprinters (VB) the main (starter) battery is located under the floor, under the driver's feet, and the factory auxiliary battery is installed in under the hood.

Motor home manufacturers install a variety of configurations, with some installing tow (or more) auxiliary batteries, instead of only one. (Note: some 2007 (titled) conversions were actually built on 2006 (VA) chassis.) Your conversion builder should have provided information on the electrical apparatus that they added to your sprinter.

Devices powered by auxiliary batteries must be wired with proper sized wiring and must be properly fused to provide proper protection.

There are two important things to remember when adding electrical equipment to your sprinter -

1 - Never, never, never alter the factory wiring.

2 - Never, never, never alter the factory wiring.

The electrical apparatus on your sprinter is not condusive to modifications. If you are not sure what you are doing, you should consult someone who does.

Altered Sprinter
08-08-2010, 12:20 AM
Fused Front to rear aux.
Richard

icarus
08-08-2010, 12:46 AM
Be careful with the installation. When I bought mine, it had a bank of four 6 volt batteries hooked up to be charged from the alternator via an isolator. Aparently it had blown the alternator once before I got the vehicle. Then less than 100 miles after I owned it, the new (and improper alternator installed by the dodge dealer under warranty) blew. Fortunately my alternator replacement was also under warranty and I have since removed that bank of batteries and charge them only from shore power. According to the dodge dealer, the most recent alternator would have cost me close to $1000 had it not been for the warranty. Add to that the cost of reprogramming the computer to get it to accept the new alternator.

I would suggest that something else is going on here. Either the batteries were constantly severely discharged for some reason, or the alternator was defective. The long and short of it is, that people tend to think of batteries as electrical gas tanks, that you can pour the power out of as you need it, and pour it back in when you charge. The reality is much more complicated. Nearly every owners manual for nearly every RV I have ever looked at says that you can routinely discharge your aux batteries to 100% discharge with out damage. While this is true on it's face, the fact is that routine discharge below ~50% is a recipe for very short battery life. In the solar power world, we like to work with a 20% depth of discharge (DOD). The other problem people have is that lead acid batteries need to be fully charged after deep discharges, (back to ~100%) or they begin to sulphate and degrade irepairably, so most people over draw, and under charge their batteries.
Finally, RV manufactures are constantly changing battery suppliers due to cost issues, and the owners manual usually doesn't reflect those changes, often with dire consequences. My Road trek manual says that it comes with GelCell batteries that need no maintainence but in fact it came with exide flooded lead/acid batteries. FLA batteries need their water tended to regularly, especially when the batteries are in the engine compartment. The biggest enemy of batteries is heat. Hot temps and big draws, cause the batteries to lose water very quickly. A battery with exposed plating is toast, and the manual says nothing about maintaining them.

Here is a couple of must reads for anyone/everyone who uses batteries regularly:

http://www.batteryfaq.org/
http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm#Lifespan%20of%20Batteries

Treat your batteries well and they will treat you well, treat them poorly and they will fail quickly.

Icarus

danski0224
08-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Sprinter auxilary batteries are wired only to 12v power outlets, and nothing else. After all, they are for auxiliary use - that is auxiliary devices that you choose to add to your sprinter. The vehicle fuse blocks can be used or you can use others.

On sprinters through 2006 (VA) the main (starter) battery was located under the hood and the factory auxiliary battery was installed in the passenger seat base. On later sprinters (VB) the main (starter) battery is located under the floor, under the driver's feet, and the factory auxiliary battery is installed in under the hood.

Motor home manufacturers install a variety of configurations, with some installing tow (or more) auxiliary batteries, instead of only one. (Note: some 2007 (titled) conversions were actually built on 2006 (VA) chassis.) Your conversion builder should have provided information on the electrical apparatus that they added to your sprinter.

Devices powered by auxiliary batteries must be wired with proper sized wiring and must be properly fused to provide proper protection.

There are two important things to remember when adding electrical equipment to your sprinter -

1 - Never, never, never alter the factory wiring.

2 - Never, never, never alter the factory wiring.

The electrical apparatus on your sprinter is not condusive to modifications. If you are not sure what you are doing, you should consult someone who does.

It almost sounds like the best approach is to install a separate wiring distribution system from the AUX battery positive terminal, with proper fuses and wire size.

Is connecting additional batteries in parallel a good approach to increase AH capacity, or will that overload the OE 220A alternator?

Mrdi
08-09-2010, 02:59 PM
"It almost sounds like the best approach is to install a separate wiring distribution system from the AUX battery positive terminal, with proper fuses and wire size."

There is excellent access to the Aux Batt under the drivers seat in the NCV3.
A large wire runs from the AUX Batt to this access area.

Search Aux Batt, accessing Aux Batt, on this site.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4457&page=2