PDA

View Full Version : Cargo Area Lights

Racecarengineer
07-17-2010, 07:12 PM
Looong time lurker to this forum, Great Information and user database.
Does anyone have any experience with replacing the small Ovalish cargo lights. I thought I would leave the Light with the Switch in the very back and replace the other three in cargo area with some LED 12 volt puck's.
Concern would be with the computer warning me of burnt out bulbs etc. when the amp and resistance has changed with the LED's. All of the additional House lights will be LED's but a completely seperate system from vehicle and the whole CAN bus network.

Thanks

Aqua Puttana
07-17-2010, 08:41 PM
First let me extend you a hale and hearty welcome to the forum.

To the best of my knowledge the interior lights fall under the radar of the Sprinter computer. The computer monitors the running lights and other safety related lighting.

There have been comments about LED lighting affecting the remote locks or something similar? Nothing fatal, but probably worth doing a search from the blue bar above. I believe the thread was in the RV section.

Edit: It was in the RV section. There's also some good general information.
LED switch improvements
http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11449
Cautions about RFI begin at about post #26.

Hope this does some good. vic
Looong time lurker to this forum, Great Information and user database.
Does anyone have any experience with replacing the small Ovalish cargo lights. I thought I would leave the Light with the Switch in the very back and replace the other three in cargo area with some LED 12 volt puck's.
Concern would be with the computer warning me of burnt out bulbs etc. when the amp and resistance has changed with the LED's. All of the additional House lights will be LED's but a completely seperate system from vehicle and the whole CAN bus network.

Thanks

teamtexas
07-18-2010, 03:35 AM
I reused some of my original oval lights in my conversion. In one of them I changed the incandescent lamp out with a replacement style led square bank of lights. I picked it up at Autozone. It works great and was easy to install. It provides more light than the oval style led lights I used in other parts of the conversion.

Dan

wildimaginations
07-18-2010, 04:06 AM
I installed these LED refrigerator lights in my work van. They're all connected in parallel of the light above the sliding door. There are ten of these lights all connected together and I have no issues with them turning on or off. They are controlled by the switch in the back. You will notice the incandescent light in the back compared to the LED lights overhead and it makes a big difference.

comet429
07-18-2010, 02:49 PM
I installed these LED refrigerator lights in my work van. They're all connected in parallel of the light above the sliding door. There are ten of these lights all connected together and I have no issues with them turning on or off. They are controlled by the switch in the back. You will notice the incandescent light in the back compared to the LED lights overhead and it makes a big difference.Where did you get those lights from?

Able Wright
07-19-2010, 02:54 AM
"Where did you get those lights from?"

Yes, Please. Tell us. Inquiring minds need to know.

Mitch

wildimaginations
07-19-2010, 11:13 AM
These are refrigerator lights. The newer model refrigerators now have LED inside instead of incandescent light bulbs. I bought them from Samsung which costs about $60.00 / ea retail for about 1/2 off. There are 10 of them and they're all rated 12v. They have several styles from smaller ones for the freezer side to the larger and brighter ones for the refrigerator side. There is no issue with the led lights dimming down when the doors are closed. They just dim down with the back incandescent light bulb with no problems. So far, I've had these lights installed since January 2009 and they haven't failed on me yet.

If you are considering this be sure to check if the led assembly is setup for 12v or 120v. There are some refrigerators that still run 120v to the wire connector so they have a step down circuit in the led board assembly to connect to 120v.

kthflieger
07-19-2010, 05:48 PM
Replaced the standard oval lights a few weeks ago with LEDs from superbrightleds.com. Worked well. No problems so far. They now have drop in replacements that fit will - 9 and 12 LED versions. $$$