PDA

View Full Version : Holy smokes! Tell me that was a DPF regen...

Düsseldorfer
07-16-2010, 02:05 AM
Parking the Sprinter on Saturday afternoon, I suddenly found that the van was enveloped in a grey haze. It was coming from my tailpipe!

I have about 22,000 miles on my '08, and this is the first time I have ever seen visible emissions from the tailpipe, let alone vast clouds. After confirming that there were no other apparent symptoms of malady-- leaks, noises, CELs-- I switched off. About half an hour later, I restarted the van and it was back to normal.

I'm assuming that this was just a particularly energetic DPF regen, because although I have never seen a Sprinter smoke like that, it's not entirely out of the ordinary for that kind of thing to happen with other makes of diesel. There's even an entertaining video somewhere out on the internet showing a Ford pickup with honest-to-goodness flames coming out of the exhaust!

I passed another 50 or so miles of driving without incident, and in fact the van seemed to have a little more power than had been the case. That is less likely to be the clean-DPF effect than the placebo effect (aka, "nature's medicine"). Anyway I'm not worried... though I'm sure some of you guys will do your best to talk me into being worried... but I just wanted to document this on the list for others' reference. Naturally, if der fliegende Ziegelstein develops a problem, I will follow up with the info.

D

Sprinter SS
07-16-2010, 02:13 AM
Not sure on the DPF sprinters, but the V10 TDI VW Touaregs would do the exact same thing. They would "fart" out a plume of deep grey sooty stuff especially once the engine was fully at operational temp.

I see you are in Houston, so operational temp will not be hard to get too!!

Altered Sprinter
07-16-2010, 02:24 AM
You are not supposed to turn the engine off when the particulate filter is regenerating a burn off. as to an incomplete regeneration cycle.
Richard
Mercedes-Benz "Particle Killer" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUOhqqyu3RY)

PLUMMER
07-16-2010, 11:52 PM
How do you know if a regen is going on ??? No dash signals , I am sure mine has done it but I have never had absolute signs or proof it has. No turd like power or loud noises. Going on 50,000 miles.

jdcaples
07-17-2010, 12:54 AM
I think this applies to NAFTA Sprinters as well....

Passive Regeneration -> http://www.macktrucks.com/default.aspx?pageid=1685
Active Regeneration -> http://www.macktrucks.com/default.aspx?pageid=1686

-Jon

PLUMMER
07-19-2010, 01:53 AM
So no way to really know....... with a sprinter. right.

jdcaples
07-19-2010, 02:46 AM
So no way to really know....... with a sprinter. right.

Passive regeneration is pretty non-intrusive, too quiet to hear. There is no instrument cluster - hi-line or standard - that will tell you if passive regen is taking place.

I've never experienced an active regen, but others have indicated active regen is both audible and odoriferous.

-Jon

PS: gary_32 has an ODB II accessory called "Watch Dog," I think. He is able to determine - based on one of its readings - that one of the two types of regenerations is happening.

gary 32
07-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Passive regeneration is pretty non-intrusive, too quiet to hear. There is no instrument cluster - hi-line or standard - that will tell you if passive regen is taking place.
I've never experienced an active regen, but others have indicated active regen is both audible and odoriferous.

-Jon
PS: gary_32 has an ODB II accessory called "Watch Dog," I think. He is able to determine - based on one of its readings - that one of the two types of regenerations is happening.

Jon,

Without any extra instrumentation, you can both hear and feel passive and active regeneration.

My 07 hi-line instant fuel mileage display will show fuel mileage drop off slightly (10%), with no change in load, you can hear a light jet engine like sound. The watchdog confirms these events with increased instant pyro (2-250 degrees F) readings.

Active regeneration, fuel mileage drops more (15-20%), the jet is louder and the pyro temps increase 4-500 degrees F.

Düsseldorfer, I have never witnessed any visible smoke nor any vehicle "farts" Sprinter SS.

jdcaples
07-19-2010, 10:09 PM
I guess I should have said, "I've never heard it, felt it or smelled it."

I have a cargo van with the factory partition and heavy felt lining all over the cab. I've been in other NCV3s and I think mine's than quieter because of that, I think.

As for "no instrument panel indication," I think the spirit of the question was, "is there a regen light?" My answer is, "there's no regen indicator lamp on my instrument cluster."

-Jon

PLUMMER
07-20-2010, 04:58 AM
yep, never had any of the above mentioned signs or symptoms that a regen was going on. Thanks Jon and Gary for the info, I guess I'll have to watch the egt's and mpg to see. take care.......

Chandlerazman
07-20-2010, 05:24 AM
I've never noticed mine regen. The dealer did say it occurred at my last appt. My driving habits were also applauded by the service department. I tend to be lead footed once in a while from dead stops to passing on the highways. I was told that was the best thing I could do for my van to keep it "clean" exhaust wise and EGR wise. I've got about 26k on it now.

HappyFamilyVan
07-20-2010, 07:17 PM
same advice I was given by an MB engineer....the Sprinter is no different than any MB...it wants to be driven...and driven hard.:rad:
I guess the Sprinter prefers that bad boy versus the gentleman....:lol:

michaelrking
07-21-2010, 01:19 AM
On the road, in Arkansas. CEL came on, very sluggish response. After a couple of restarts, CEL goes off. Happen to be staying about 2 miles from the only authorized Dodge Sprinter repair dealer in AR. Took it in, they said DPF is excessively clogged and may need replaced. I told them I was from out of town. They did a regen and miraculously, it was fine now. I had had just driven it for 4 hours at 75 mph before I got the CEL. Drove it 1200 miles at freeway speeds just before that. What does it take to clean it out?

scubanw3
07-26-2010, 01:04 AM
While driving through North Dakota on our way to the SprinterFest East, I watched my Pyrometer Gauge climb from 700 degrees to 1250 and hold there for several minutes. The regeneration occurred but you could not feel or hear anything. The event is supposed to be seamless and not experienced. Hope this helps.

Thank you, John
Sprinter Store
http://sprinterstore.com/
A division of Upscale Automotive, Inc.
19460 SW 89th Ave.
Tualatin, OR 97062
503-692-0846