PDA

View Full Version : AC Went Out 1st Day of Road Trip in July!

Datajockeys
07-12-2010, 02:04 PM
Wife = :yell: Me = :thinking:

Every year Sisters Oregon has a big and I mean BIG quilt show. They close down the streets downtown and hang quilts everywhere. I take the wife every 5 years or so to get her fix. You see. July temps in central Oregon are about 100 degrees, the show is outside hotels are full (cabins and camping is the norm. Large women that are used to seditary work roaming around wrapped in quilts in 100 degree weather. You get my point.

The day of the trip the AC in DAWT fails. It is 95 degrees @ home port. I don't mean running warmer than usual, I mean FAIL. Took it into the dealer 1st thing and they said the compressor was gone. I'm thinking bull, the serpentine belt is working, pulley is there, and I see the compressor. The mechanic pointed out that all of the inner workings of the clutch mechanism are missing! Just gone. 18,000 miles and AC takes off on vacation before I do.

Now the bad news. 2+ weeks before a replacement AC compressor? The whole unit needs to be replaced and there are no units in the US chain. I am calling again today to see if there is an update.

Question: What compensation, goodies or whatever can I get out of Chrysler to make the wife happy about having her road trip turned into a convection experience? Does anyone have any experience in this?

I can understand waiting a day for parts, and a day to install. But 2 weeks to get a part in from Germany? Give me a break! :thumbdown:

sikwan
07-12-2010, 03:01 PM
Question: What compensation, goodies or whatever can I get out of Chrysler to make the wife happy about having her road trip turned into a convection experience? Does anyone have any experience in this?

I don't think you really could do anything to get compensated out of the normal Sprinter warranted items, unless you can prove that the specific dealership or MB on purposely sabotaged your trip. :idunno:

Maybe your insurance company?

HappyFamilyVan
07-12-2010, 04:22 PM
When my A/C was DOA, Dodge also said many weeks for the parts.
Chris Case from the UK had parts to me in about 3-4 days.
I paid for the parts and the dealership reimbursed me.

NOTE: you will need more than just the compressor.
You will also need the dryer and metering device.

Read:
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7012
Start at thread 16

Datajockeys
07-13-2010, 11:04 PM
WHh the additional parts?

kendall69
07-14-2010, 04:53 AM
Never ever listen to the dealer. When I first got mine the serpentine belt went and tehy told me two week wait till they get one. WHAT!!!!! for a belt?

I called around had one fed ex'd in from another dealer and was in the General Mangers office the very next day after they told me two weeks. He called in the service manager an reamed him a new one. He said you told this man two weeks for a belt that he is holding in his hands.?

OrioN
07-14-2010, 05:10 AM
try an MB dealer...

Datajockeys
07-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Update: I made an appointment with the local Freightliner dealer. They told me Dodge has to go through Chrysler then to Mercedes to order parts. They are not stocking ANY Sprinter parts because they don't want to be stuck with inventory. Freightliner orders direct from Mercedes.

Freightliner also services ALL of the local fleets. McCoy in Portland, OR is my new best friend(s). I go in Friday afternoon to have someonw who knows what they are doing take a look at it.