PDA

View Full Version : Running in the Rockies

Mrdi
07-11-2010, 09:17 PM
Am currently in Colorado Rockies near Telluride, Lake City, Creede etc., running my 2008 144; average elevation between 8-10,000 ft.
When in auto the trans seems to not want to down shift so I have been manually shifting and trying to maintain an RPM of approx. 2500 RPM.
Seems like an effecient speed for the engine.
Often find myself in third gear.
Comments welcome !!

P.S.
Chasing trout on a fly rod, any hot tips for where to fish would be welcome as well.

NelsonSprinter
07-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Seems ok to me, if you're talking about uphill grade climbing. If your talking about valley bottom hwy cruising, seems un-necessary to me.:2cents:

kthflieger
07-11-2010, 11:03 PM
don't forget to run over to Ouray and check out the hot springs. For a great drive go over Red Mountain Pass to Durango...!

kendall69
07-12-2010, 12:52 AM
Just came back from the same trip. Make sure you go to Durango and do this:

http://www.soaringcolorado.com/

29 separate zip lines. You will zip over a class 4 river several times and be hoisted up to the tree tops.
My wife was in tears she was so happy after the trip. One zip is about 1,400 ft. long over a river.

AMAZING!!!!!!

1Jeff
07-12-2010, 04:12 AM
Drove my 2010 hi roof 144, from Leadville, Co to Denver and back yesterday. Did my share to help the economy, filled it up with lots of groceries, electronic gear, building supplies, furniture (made 15 shopping stops in Denver). The trip was 250 miles, I averaged 21 mpg and the truck worked flawlessly. Leaving Denver it's about a 60 mile climb from 5000 ft to 9000 plus at Loveland Pass. I set the cruise at 65 leaving Denver and the truck pulled the grade all the way, 2500 rpm, never the slightest hesitation. I've got 2500 miles on the odo since I picked it up a month ago and every good thing that's been said on this forum about these trucks has been true for me.

1Jeff

NBB
07-12-2010, 04:30 AM
It's only on the steepest and most most winding mountain roads where I feel like the manual shifting is usefull. The auto seems to work fine otherwise. Yeah, 3rd gear, welcome to Colorado.

kmessinger
07-12-2010, 07:39 PM
I use manual all the time in the mountains both up and down. I have run the area you are in - 3rd gear not bad. If you drop down to the bottom of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, expect 2nd.

My only problem is sometimes I forget to shift up from 3rd and find myself doing 60 in third gear. :cry:

Regards,

Keith

Mrdi
07-14-2010, 05:13 PM
Says Keith:
"My only problem is sometimes I forget to shift up from 3rd and find myself doing 60 in third gear".

We must be about the same age, missing a shift doesn't mean the same thing anymore.
The Black Canyon probably tomorrow.
Perhaps we should wire an alarm to ring when we hit 3500 RPM?
Make sure the alarm is in a range we can still hear.

Fly fishing hot tips welcome.

kendall69
07-14-2010, 06:36 PM
Here's what I do when it comes to downshifting. My knee is at the exact height of the shifter so when it's in a lower gear I am able to tap the shifter with my knee and up shift accordingly.

More often that not it has become habit so even if I'm in drive I'm tapping it at times any way.

gary 32
07-26-2010, 02:23 PM
Wiil take my Sprinter to Caliber for 10k service. Do you have a person there who you recommend.?
When I called to ask about my Assyst coming on at 3500 miles I was told Mercedes doesn't use break in oil by the service representative.
As you may know I am in Colorado on vacation and don't intend to return for another 2 weeks and was concerned my 30 days would run out and I would invalidate my warranty w/o service.
I have only had my 144 for 10 months.
Service said don't worry you are OK get the oil changed when you return at 5k miles. when I asked how long should the break in oil stay in is when I was told MB doesn't use break in oil???
My 144 was born June 2008 and I took posession Oct 2009.
Currently at 3800 miles. Assyst reads -12.
Cheers
Mrdi

Above is a pm from Mrdi.
I like how you advised Caliber of your issue, smart, note who you spoke with.
Check your oil and other fluid levels, Caliber advised bring your Sprinter in upon return.
Relax, your Sprinter has 3.8k- 5k miles and you have factory warranty until Oct. 2012.
I have no one to refer @ Caliber just past experiences with other Mercedes vehicles. I remember reading positive reviews here under dealer experiences for Anahiem Mercedes/Caliber Motors.

Let the Mercedes service representative do all the talking. When they are done evaluate your comfort level and respectfully tell them exactly what you expect, have them add it to the repair order and treat them exactly how you would like to be treated.
My 1st oil change in my 07 was @ 5200 miles, my current change interval is 7.5k. I too am a low mileage user with frequent short trips in city traffic and an ecu tune. I just do not care about longer service intervals or break in oil.
There is no way additional cleanliness can be bad for diesel Sprinters, clean oil, using the rev range and no excessive idling will help your Sprinter avoid egr problems and intake clogging.

kmessinger
08-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Just returned from two weeks Arizona, Colorado and Utah with no problems. My Sprinter, with 44k miles ran perfectly. In California up Hwy 89 Monitor Pass; up, over and down Hwy 4, Ebbetts Pass; lots of 2 gear up and down. Majority on highways other than Interstate.

My:2cents:. If you follow the Assyst for maintenance you will be good. Too much past is bad, too early normally is just a waste of money but :thumbup: there are always justifiable reasons for doing things early. Like my transmission fluid change - lots of mountain driving so I figured it was not a bad idea :hmmm:.

Regards,

Keith

Presley's Field, 8700 ft., Ashley National Forest, Utah
Off the beaten path, Capitol Reef National Park, Utah

More pictures on the blog later after unloading, etc.