PDA

View Full Version : Problem with ECM..

Sprinter2500
07-08-2010, 10:32 PM
Car: 2008 Dodge Sprinter 2500 3.0 Turbo Diesel...

I've been having problems with starting my car recently.. All the sensors are fine.. Check engine light is on.. I noticed that the fuel injectors were not receiving an electric signal. I had a friend of mine(Mercedes Benz Mechanic) look at the car, and told me that there is no electric feed for the fuel injectors.. He explained that the ECM sends an electric feed to the ECU, and the ECU sends it to all other sensors etc, including the injectors.. In other words, my injectors are not receiving the sufficient amount of voltage..

Do i need to reprogram the ECM fully?

or

Can i buy a new one, and just plug n play?

WAYNERODD
07-09-2010, 12:35 AM
While I do not know much about this model yet.

I do not think that this is going to be a ECM problem. Try spraying some diesel into the intake and see if she starts or wants to. Others have tried ether, But I can not recommend it.

If she stays running I would think that your problem is more fuel pressure related that a ECM problem. You can also have a bad sensor that may cause her not to start.

Does the van run now?

The older TN1's will not fire the injectors untill fuel pressure has been reached. Reasons why they may not reach pressure include: bad fuel pumps, clogged fuel filter, air being sucked into the fuel lines, fuel leaks, faulty injectors. Faulty crankshaft & camshaft position sensors will also cause these not to start.

Your van should be checked for these type of problems before you replace the ECM. A good dealer should have the right equipment to test & find your problem. Most shops do not have the right equipment to test your van.

As for the ECM it must be programed. You can not just get one from a salvage yard and plug it in.

We will all learn more as these vans continue to age. So please get back with us on what gave your van the problem.

Hope this helps, Wayne

72chevy4x4
07-09-2010, 01:31 AM
what were the codes from the check engine light? you can't just swap in another eccu, its a bit more difficult than that. finding a good tech to actually look into the problem rather than switching in new parts hoping to find the problem is recommended-it could get real costly otherwise.

Altered Sprinter
07-09-2010, 01:53 AM
No problems/ No pain with Mercedes as to cost $$$$$$
Any Electronic injection System can be fully diagnosed via the ecu pulse , chcking for a wire fault on injector boots, leading to ecu or crank sensors.
Fault check :Injectors. Sensors. Wiring fault as to voltage drop? etc.

YouTube - wecprobe,noid light.wmv (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rBhdgWSFks)