PDA

View Full Version : Replacement driver's seat?

lukfilm
07-05-2010, 11:17 PM
The Mercedes seat is absolutely horrific and I need it replaced with aftermarket seat. Does anyone have a good website to visit for this?

topless
07-05-2010, 11:48 PM
Depends on what you want to spend. You could have an upholstery shop redo the seat to your satisfaction. They can reshape/replace the seat foam and make it however you want. It would cost about the same or less than an aftermarket seat.
Corbeau.com, Recarro, Momo, all have seats that would look ok in a van, for more Steelhorse makes truck/van seats.

kendall69
07-06-2010, 03:58 PM
I put in two of these Driver and passenger:

http://www.discountvantruck.com/rvhighbackcaptainsseats/motorhomefurnitureDeleon.htm

I used to get sore butt after a few hours in the stock seat. Last week I drove 13 hours and only left the seat to fuel and eat. The seat is great on itís own for comfort but did get sweaty so I put a sheepskin cover and now I am MORE than happy with the set up.

piper1
07-07-2010, 01:35 PM
Hey kendall...have you posted pics anywhere of the seat install (and if you have not could you please)? I need to replace my seat and really want to upgrade to something better but I'm curious as to what an aftermarket install would look like.

Thanks.

jmoller99
07-07-2010, 02:50 PM
I went to the Junk Yard and bought 2 nice Toyota Rav4 seats (they are not a drop in replacement for the original seats). I had to fabricate a support that attaches to the old seat bolt holes (2002 Sprinter) using 2 inch angle iron (1/8 inch thick), and the seat adjustment mechanisum. It was time consuming to get it all to fit (keep in mind that you need to provide access to the area under the drivers seat - there is a cover that protects relays and quite a lot of wiring there). The seats cost me $100 and the angle iron, hardware and paint was another $30. These seats are very comfortable. The original drivers seat cushion was worn out and not something I wanted to sit on for a long trip.

There are lots of used seats that would easily fit, if you took the time to fabricate an adapter.

kendall69
07-08-2010, 03:10 AM
The colors don't translate well as the lighting was poor but is a nice matching gray to the interior gray.
Like sitting on pillows.

http://www.cssevents.com/seat.jpg

jmoller99
07-08-2010, 04:50 AM
This are some quick shots of the Toyota Rav4 Seats (the original Sprinter Seat belts work with them) as they are installed. I painted the Angle Iron gray and uses 3/8 inch bolts in the Angle Iron and the original 8mm (13mm wrench) bolts holding the angle iron onto the white interior seat frame,

Mike Rancourt
03-07-2017, 03:34 PM
This are some quick shots of the Toyota Rav4 Seats (the original Sprinter Seat belts work with them) as they are installed. I painted the Angle Iron gray and uses 3/8 inch bolts in the Angle Iron and the original 8mm (13mm wrench) bolts holding the angle iron onto the white interior seat frame,

jmoller99,
I know this is a super old thread, and I know you've posted more details about your seat installation elsewhere (https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23920&highlight=seat+toyota), but I wanted to ask if you can give more information about the angle iron brackets you made. Did you have to do any welding to make them or are they just drilled and bolted on? The photo is pretty blurry, so it's hard for me to tell what I am looking at. If you still have the van, would you be willing and able to provide new photos?

I might be interested in replacing my seats if I can get some from the Pick-N-Pull.
Thanks.
Mike