PDA

View Full Version : why the distinctive 'sweet' smell from the Sprinter

72chevy4x4
06-30-2010, 11:28 PM
one thing I immediately noticed after purchasing the Sprinter was the somewhat 'sweet' smell of the exhaust. As compared to the older technology (as in non-common rail injection), the exhaust smell is completely different.

can anyone comment as to the reason? Mine is an '08, I understand the new models have a urea additive-wonder if that changes the smell.

Chandlerazman
06-30-2010, 11:50 PM
Funny you say that as mine has that sweet smell even after some 20k miles. I think is has to do with the exhaust gasses passing through the dpf and getting somewhat cleaned. I still tell people to take a whiff of new modern diesel technology. I get crazy stares from those same people...

Aqua Puttana
07-01-2010, 04:44 AM
I would not call my 2004 diesel Sprinter exhaust sweet, but it's not an NCV3.

I may be wrong, and certainly don't want to rain on anybody's parade, but with a gas engine "sweet" smelling exhaust generally indicates coolant somehow getting into the cylinders.

I know this was not a Sprinter... towing our sailboat down to New Orleans we lost a heater hose that came right off the engine on a V-8 gasser. We pulled over, cut the failed hose short to re-install and thought it was all good. As the trip progressed, at times in city traffic the engine would lose coolant and overheat. At highway speeds everything was fine. We continued to
Florida from New Orleans, towed the boat back up east without problems and in fact later even towed to another regatta. (I was in denial for that last regatta road trip.)

The engine ran great except that it lost coolant in city driving. Highway driving was fine. Finally I pulled the heads. Turns out we probably didn't catch the blown hose in time after all. The heads had a couple cracks which must have been sealing when the engine was up to highway speeds so the coolant didn't go away then.

I'm not saying you overheated your engine and cracked a head, but if you are getting a "sweet" smelling exhaust and you need to top off coolant regularly, you should probably at least have the coolant system pressure tested. If you're not losing coolant, completely forget what I just said. Good luck. vic

Chandlerazman
07-01-2010, 02:38 PM
Vic,
It's a different kind of sweet smell. My van has been doing it since new. It really is as if the exhaust is being washed clean. When you rev it, the sweetness dwindles. All that technology to clean the exhaust. I can only imagine the future repair bills :thinking:

photoadjuster
07-01-2010, 03:13 PM
It is the smell of money saved. I like it.

mackconsult
07-01-2010, 03:49 PM
Mine smells likes french fries :D:

OrioN
07-01-2010, 04:03 PM
Vic,
It's a different kind of sweet smell. My van has been doing it since new. It really is as if the exhaust is being washed clean. When you rev it, the sweetness dwindles. All that technology to clean the exhaust. I can only imagine the future repair bills :thinking:

Are you refering to the repair bills to our planet? If so... they will be less now!! :thumbup:

punter
07-01-2010, 04:13 PM
Mine smells likes french fries :D:

That is cool and one of the reasons I wish I could use veg oil in a NCV3.

punter
07-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Vic,

So you do not have the vile stench of some of the older diesels?

Chandlerazman
07-01-2010, 10:30 PM
Punter, it is amazing the clean burn scent of the exhaust at idle. Not sure if it stinks like a standard diesel while underway, but while its in my driveway, I get the pleasant fragrance. Even after a long hard day of driving, upon idling, it still burns really clean. Hard to describe the smell...Certainly unlike any gas powered vehicle clean running or not.
The only other smell my van has is the typical stench of what I call a "diesel bus". I can't describe that one either but it smells close to the drivers door. I have no leaks anywhere and it does not smell like fuel :thinking:

blackheart
07-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Sounds like someone is getting bio diesel .

I advise against using it, gunks up everything

mackconsult
07-02-2010, 01:54 PM
Don't you think they now what they are putting in there tank???

VanSyncro
07-02-2010, 02:41 PM
"diesel bus". I can't describe that one either but it smells close to the drivers door. I have no leaks anywhere and it does not smell like fuel :thinking:

Could it be the driver?:thinking::bounce: