PDA

View Full Version : Help - '07 passenger/GAS warranty?

johnvill
06-30-2010, 01:27 PM
I am just coming to the end of my original warranty of 36mos/ 36k miles and am considering the purchase of an extended warranty. The van is a '07, passenger with the GAS engine. We have had no problems with the van but I am concered that the gas engine may be unique and therefor difficult to service or expensive to service if I even find somene besides the dealer to work on it.

Any thoughts or input on warranty.

I researched it alittle and found an additional 4 yrs/ 64k miles for about $4,000, through chrysler.

Any input is appreciated......

Johnny V.

jdcaples
06-30-2010, 01:41 PM
The merits and disadvantages of extended warranty contracts has been discussed at great length on this forum. One of our members has stated he wouldn't own a complicated, expensive product by MB w/o it. Others feel very much the opposite way.

The gas engine in your 2007 Sprinter is a variant of the M272 engine found in other MB vehicles. I just checked epc.startekinfo.com. I count 41 M272 variants in the NAFTA MB parts catalog.

While the computers that run your Sprinter are different from other MB vehicles powered by an M272 variant, the principles of diagnosing and repairing the engine, as well as the rest of the vehicle should be well-understood by MB technicians for many years to come.

Bottom line: only you may decide if an extended warranty promotes your personal comfort; and the engine is not as unique as you may have suspected.

-Jon

Example engine: the MB C 350 4MATIC is a pretty common vehicle and its engine is M272.970. If you post your VIN, I'll post your data card and your M272 variant.

johnvill
07-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Jon,

Thank you for your input. My VIN is WD8PE746X75200215.

I guess my biggest concern is the fact that I travel quite a bit and my wife is left home with the vehicle, ours is a pax and used to haul our 8 kids around in, and if she has a problem how would she handle it... call the dealer for warranty work or I would have to find another option.

Thanks again for your help!

John V.

PS - we love the vehicle and it is great for road trips, camping. I get about 15-17 MPG (15 in town, 17 on highway).

punter
07-02-2010, 03:54 PM
Jon,

PS - we love the vehicle and it is great for road trips, camping. I get about 15-17 MPG (15 in town, 17 on highway).

Not that much worse than a diesel v6 mpg. Makes me wonder if the diesel hassle is worth it.

The best case scenario, ( I would think ), would be to get it from Daimler, but they have not even fully rolled out the extended warranties for the Sprinters they are now selling.

I heard that Consumer Reports took a look at extended warranties and had some recommendations for good third party providers.

jdcaples
07-02-2010, 07:56 PM
Jon,

Thank you for your input. My VIN is WD8PE746X75200215.

I guess my biggest concern is the fact that I travel quite a bit and my wife is left home with the vehicle, ours is a pax and used to haul our 8 kids around in, and if she has a problem how would she handle it... call the dealer for warranty work or I would have to find another option.

Thanks again for your help!

John V.

Congratulations. You're the proud owner of an M272.979. It's a common-enough engine type, the M272 as I said before. The M272 is found in lots of v6 gas cars in the MB line-up.

While you're stuck with service at either an MB or Freightliner Sprinter dealership for service, all MB Sprinter dealerships have passenger car technicians.

Hence, the MB technicians at any (Sprinter) dealership will be familiar enough with the M272 to competently service it.

Even if "the sprinter guy" at the MB dealership is busy, all the techs should all know how diagnose your M272 gas engine.

Attached is your data card and a screen shot of EPC.startekinfo.com.

-Jon