PDA

View Full Version : DC/MD/VA service center? Oil change cost?

Sprinterplumber
06-30-2010, 12:12 PM
Hey guys, I bought my 08 Sprinter back in September from Darcars Dodge in MD and after about 2k the change oil warning came on. The dealer said that because it was sitting on the lot for so long before it was sold that it needs to be changed because of the life of the oil not the mileage and that it wasn't his responsibility when he sold it to me new to change the oil. Needless to say I'm not really trying to go back there for service. Another dealer in VA That's a half mile from my house said that the oil change could cost upwards of $250-300 because of some fuel canister that needs to be changed with the oil filter or something. Is this normal? Can anyone recommend another dealership or mechanic in the DC metro area? How different is it from changing the oil on a gasoline engine?

Altered Sprinter
06-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Hi; this one has come up before, In the first instance your oil light can come on with high ambient temps,[oil viscosity expands] or if oil is slightly down even ,in an instance where the van was parked on a sharp decline,of which can prematurely set a false engine oil lamp off.
My point is OK! maybe the oil needs replacing? as to the use by date per annul mileage or date for oil to expire.
Your van I amuse is new but old stock! Then and only then the oil change must re-incorporate the original oil with the correct break-in additive. at 2K
Your engine has not been broken in. therefore the factory first fill oil. [must be re-instated] to complete the remainder of the engines break-in period of remaining miles.
To validate this I suggest you approach the head service manager and have a chat as to reaching an amicable solution.
Richard

rheckert
06-30-2010, 01:19 PM
The fuel filter does not need to be replaced at every oil change, i have my oil changed at fast track and it costs about $125 for the oil ( mobil 1 synthetic diesel ) and the filter.

folzag
06-30-2010, 03:25 PM
The same thing happened to me. I bought a Sprinter manufactured Feb 07 in Aug 08. The ASSYST light came on in Nov 08 after something like 2-4000 miles. I ignored it. It was obvious it was based on a day counter in the computer as everyday the warning would update the days past due on the oil change whether I drove the van or not. Since I didn't drive the van everyday, and since it sat for over a year before being put into service I don't see how the oil would be used up.

The idea that oil needs changed based on time is largely to account for drivers that make frequent short trips. A vehicle sitting in a driveway is not using it's oil.

kmessinger
07-01-2010, 03:21 AM
The fuel filter does not need to be replaced at every oil change, i have my oil changed at fast track and it costs about $125 for the oil ( mobil 1 synthetic diesel ) and the filter.

It needs to be changed if you want to maintain your warranty. A fuel filter on a diesel is a lot different than a gasoline filter. Of course, you can do it yourself in about 1/2 hour - saves the $100+ charge at the dealer.

Regards,

Keith

rheckert
07-01-2010, 12:14 PM
yes you do have to change the fuel filter to maintain your warranty but the required interval is i belive 30,000 miles for the fuel filter not at every oil change. once the warranty is up if you use a quality fuel from a station that uses a lot of diesel where there isn't alot of water in their tanks the filter will go quite a bit longer than 30k.

kmessinger
07-01-2010, 03:26 PM
yes you do have to change the fuel filter to maintain your warranty but the required interval is i belive 30,000 miles for the fuel filter not at every oil change. once the warranty is up if you use a quality fuel from a station that uses a lot of diesel where there isn't alot of water in their tanks the filter will go quite a bit longer than 30k.

The required interval for 2008 Sprinters is at every A and B service. That is every 10k miles.
Yep, after warranty or even before I suppose you can change it anytime you like.

The filter is for more than water though and water does not only come from where you buy fuel. I carry an extra one with me just in case mine doesn't know how many miles it is supposed to go :D:

Regards,

Keith