PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Vibrations

fink1741
06-27-2010, 12:50 AM
My Sprinter is a 2007 and lately I have been experiencing heavy driving vibrations in the speed ranges of 45 to 55 mph. The vibrations are so heavy that my entire dashboard and consoles is actually jumping up and down about a half an inch knocking things to the floor. I'm wondering if anybody has experienced these vibrations? Also, wondering if it is a power-train problem because when the vehicle vibrates I simply released my foot off the accelerator and then resumed and the problem goes away until the next time I enter onto a highway.

Any information from you :snore:would be greatly appreciated as the vehicle is going in for service the 30th of this month.

Thanks...:thinking:

Aqua Puttana
06-27-2010, 01:59 AM
Mike,
Your symptoms sound a bit more pronounced than I remember with my 2004, but it may be similar. Both the T1N and NCV3 NAFTA models have the NAG1 transmission.

It may be worth it for you to read through this thread.

Rumble Strip Noise Transmission Drive Train Shudder
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5027

Drive shaft center bearing problems are not uncommon on NCV3 NAFTA models. These are guesses. Good luck. vic

fink1741
06-27-2010, 11:14 AM
Thanks Aqua Puttana. I had a feeling it was in the power-train. I will be checking my transmission fluid level today and when I take it in for service Wednesday I will definitely have them check the transmission out and replace the fluids.

I will let you know my progress after my service visit Wednesday.

Thanks again, Mike

rheckert
06-27-2010, 12:25 PM
I would also check the u joints and the center bearing on your driveshaft especially if you have a clunk when you put the truck into gear or reverse.

fink1741
06-27-2010, 03:50 PM
I would also check the u joints and the center bearing on your driveshaft especially if you have a clunk when you put the truck into gear or reverse.

I'll have service look at the U joint also. Thanks

It is a great forum :bounce:

boatmax
06-27-2010, 05:15 PM
Thanks Aqua Puttana. I had a feeling it was in the power-train. I will be checking my transmission fluid level today and when I take it in for service Wednesday I will definitely have them check the transmission out and replace the fluids.

I will let you know my progress after my service visit Wednesday.

Thanks again, Mike

I am also having similar vibrations in my 2004, with only 22,000 miles. I seem to notice it when the transmission is attempting to shift up or down, at low RPM, thus low transmission fluid pump pressure. I have ordered a transmission fluid dip stick, as I suspect slightly low fluid level. If not, then I plan to have the transmission checked.
The other Max

72chevy4x4
06-27-2010, 10:39 PM
recreate the vibration, then shift to a lower gear and increase the throttle to maintain speed. does the vibration increase as you're giving it throttle through the range?

I would first look at the driveshaft and check out the rear tires. A broken belt can give one heck of an unbalanced feeling and could be picked up by following the Sprinter and watching the tires at the speed you indicated the vibration occurs.

dilleyoshempy
06-27-2010, 11:15 PM
I had this exact problem and the dealer told me the steering knuckle was loose, haven't had a problem since it's been tightened.

onyx
06-19-2013, 11:01 PM
Just replaced my drive shaft for having vibration on the freeway especially around 45-55 mph. Bought a brand new one for under $700 online and couldnt be happier! spent a lot less than what I was going to pay at the dealer and got the whole job done alot faster too. If anybody is having problems with there sprinter like I was check em out.

SPRINTER DRIVE SHAFTS
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11721

DISCOUNT CODE
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wholesale-Import-Parts/246426468834040