Limp Mode + Can't communicate with ECU

InTheRound

We recently purchased a 2005 Sprinter in Florida and drove it back home to Ohio. The drive back was smooth and problem free. We have put very light use on the vehicle since then (it's mostly been "in the shop"), during which the vehicle kicked over into Limp Home Mode. The trans was locked into 2nd gear and was capped around 40mph.

We took the van into a mechanic with an Autologic factory scan tool, though he doesn't usually work on Sprinters. We found and printed a good number of codes before clearing them to run a full engine diagnosis. The diagnosis showed some more faults, but also had a strange lack of faults for the ECU. We then found that communicating directly with the ECU was not possible! The scanner couldn't talk to it! It seems like the other modules may not be able to communicate either.

The mechanic wants to start by testing the CAN lines and thinks the ECU may be faulty. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of problem? Any suggestions?

Here's the codes that were stored before the diagnosis:
P2400 - CAN fault: Right rear wheel speed implausible
P2404 - CAN fault: The signal of the stop light switch is implausible
P240B - CAN fault: The engine temperature from the engine control module is implausible
P2316 - No CAN message from 'air conditioning' pushbutton control module or message is errored
P2501 - Engine has excessive speed.
P2108 - Shift Pressure Control Solenoid Valve: Faulty
P2561 - Unknown Fault Description
P220A - Speed Sensors supply different values
P2500 - Impermissible Transmission Ratio
P2563 - Unknown Fault description
P2562 - Unknown Fault description

Any help/tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Given the apparent scope of your problems I'd be a bit shy of using any diagnostic scan equipment other than a dealer type DRBIII tool with sprinter adapter card and cable. The DRBIII has much more capabilities than most other scan tools. That said, I have limited experience so I'm basing that comment on information gleaned from the Sprinter forum(s).

My suggestion:
"Call my Sprinter Hot Line 412-366-6165. Doktor A".

"have a pad of paper handy when you call him"

Keep us updated please. Good luck. vic

Top Bottom