Camping in Black Hills, SD

aeroshots

We are headed up North to MN for a three day off road adventure. Towing the off road "mini truck"; just to be clear I am not going off roading in the Sprinter:clapping: After that adventure we are headed for the Black Hills of SD.

Please provide any suggestions as to RV campsites in the MT Rushmore area. Anything within one hour of Mt Rushmore would be great. An internet search provides so many places it is overwhelming:drool:

Hopefully some of you have been there and can recommend a campground or two.

I will document the trip and provide pictures upon completion. I know how we all like pictures. My wife bought me a new laptop for my birthday so maybe I can figure how to resize photos to post here.

VanSyncro

Depends on your preferences on camping, I prefer state and national parks.

If your like me you'll like Custer State Park, they have several campgrounds. On the west side of the black hills (US 85) is another really nice campground about 20 minutes north of crazy horse monument. I believe that it is a National Forest Campground, there are several along that road. Good Luck and happy travels.

cedarsanctum

re: Member
Depends on your preferences on camping, I prefer state and national parks.

If your like me you'll like Custer State Park, they have several campgrounds. On the west side of the black hills (US 85) is another really nice campground about 20 minutes north of crazy horse monument. I believe that it is a National Forest Campground, there are several along that road. Good Luck and happy travels.
We stayed in the campgrounds just north of the Crazy Horse Monument (a must see place) and loved it. I believe they were National Forest campgrounds. It was one of the sites where they filmed the closing scene for Dances with Wolves. Beautiful country.

punter

I just resized a photo for a test. Mainly a test of me. Here is a photo of my "mini truck" rebadged as a MB:laughing: This is my off road adventure ride. Hopefully it will survive http://www.ironrange.org/recreation/atv-ohv/ohv-park/ :idunno:

This is the event http://www.crawl4cure.org/ :clapping:

Cool, looks like it worked. Now I need to find that post by photoadjuster to thank him for the links. :cheers:

Good Lincoln quote, even though it appears that he was proved correct in the worst sense.

What is that truck? I do not recognize it.

avid

Saphira's rider
This is very beautiful country. I used to work and stay overnight in this area. It is not a place to show up in the summer time without reservations. Are you familiar with RV Park Reviews? If not, you should be as it is an incredible resource. Also check and see when the annual Sturgis Motorcycle rally is. It is really something to see but I wouldn't want to be staying anywhere nearby when it happens. (August 9-15th 2010)

Wind Cave National Park near Hot Springs, South Dakota.

Custer State Park near Custer South Dakota

These both sound great to me.

bladerunner

I just resized a photo for a test. Mainly a test of me. Here is a photo of my "mini truck" rebadged as a MB:laughing: This is my off road adventure ride. Hopefully it will survive http://www.ironrange.org/recreation/atv-ohv/ohv-park/ :idunno:

This is the event http://www.crawl4cure.org/ :clapping:

Cool, looks like it worked. Now I need to find that post by photoadjuster to thank him for the links. :cheers:
Hi...is that Suzuki 4WD ? Only ever seen them in 2WD.

Any pics of how your Sprinter looks with it hanging of the back?

:cheers:

Okie Rick

Where ever you decide to go call ahead and get weather conditions. We did N and S Dakota back in the dark ages (1968) and were told to pack lots of warm clothes. We arrived during a drought, no water in streams and Natl. Guard was hauling water to the camp grounds.

Okie Rick
-

aeroshots

Thanks for the recommendations so far; keep them comming as this is most helpful. We have narrowed the search to the Custer area (I think:lol:).

My truck is a 1997 Suzuki, Carry. It is right hand drive, 4x4 with a custom 6 inch lift, 4 speed transmission with 2 speed transfer case, and air conditioned. The engine is 3 cylinders, 660 CC, 4 cycle. Pictures of it behind the Sprinter will be forthcoming, within weeks.:thumbup:

bladerunner

Thanks for the recommendations so far; keep them comming as this is most helpful. We have narrowed the search to the Custer area (I think:lol:).

My truck is a 1997 Suzuki, Carry. It is right hand drive, 4x4 with a custom 6 inch lift, 4 speed transmission with 2 speed transfer case, and air conditioned. The engine is 3 cylinders, 660 CC, 4 cycle. Pictures of it behind the Sprinter will be forthcoming, within weeks.:thumbup:
Thanks for the info aeroshots.....a couple more questions if I may.......Is it road registered and if so how does it handle corners on the bitumen with those boots?

:cheers:

aeroshots

bladerunner,

I have a set of road wheel/tires for the highway. Those aggressive ones on it are not DOT compliant and are used off road only. It is driven gingerly with great respect from me, but does handle quite well for its modifications. Weighs in at 1500 lbs./680.388 kg.
I try to stay away from other traffic and consider myself on a motorcycle/motorbike in terms of personal protection.:thumbup:

Oh yes, street legal in my home State. Some States they are not at all and some have various restrictions i.e. no interstate or 45mph roads only, etc.

Last edited:

aeroshots

Here is a picture with me standing by my truck. I am 6 feet tall, so you can see the relative size.:laughing:
Thanks again everyone for the suggestions. We are leaning toward staying at Ellsworth AFB family campground or one in Custer. Looks like there is plenty of off road adventures to be had in the Black Hills as well as our original destination of Northern MN.

Attachments

aeroshots

I started a thread in the adventure section to cronicle, well, the adventure. We head out Monday. Here is a couple questions for you helpful kind.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11887

NCV3, long and tall RV operating at max gross weight, pulling 2,300 lbs including the aluminum trailer (295 lbs on the tounge). I normally drive 65 mph and very conservitively regarding accelleration etc. What say you all about using over drive or not? Manual shifting the automatic or let it do its thing? I do have a scan guage II to monitor load. Should the higher RPMs at 65 mph with out overdrive be of a concern? Opinions......

Last edited by a moderator:

HappyFamilyVan

Captain Ahab
We were there last Summer.

Horse Thief Lake...5-10 minutes west of Mt. Rushmore...also, if you like to fish...this is the place...my kids were catching trout like you could not believe....they were catching at least 10 fish each per hour...note: we only kept a few to eat...rest we threw back.....Custer state park...a MUST...let me repeat a MUST...we stayed at the Blue Bell campground at Custer...take time and do the chuck wagon dinner...well worth it.

Warning...make reservations for your campsites...otherwise you may not have a place to stay....you can make reservations through US Forest Service for Horse Thief and call Custer State Park for reservations there.

Note: Devils tower (Close encounter mountain) is not to far from the area.

Enjoy!!!!

sprinter77

badboy
Hi everybody :smilewink:
today while i delivered a package i saw this old mini truck :thinking:; just know that have the same engine of a old Mercedes 190 but the person don't have other info about it.:popcorn:
i thought that here is the thread about the mini truck :smirk:
[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PiuIowzIjVc&hl=it_IT&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PiuIowzIjVc&hl=it_IT&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Last edited:

Top Bottom