PDA

View Full Version : sunroof: anybody have or install ?

punter
06-22-2010, 02:09 AM
The NCV3 can be purchased with a sunroof but I have not heard of anybody who has chosen that option.

If I went to the trouble to order a van, I would definitely get it.

Has anyone here got one factory or installed themselvrs?

Hubert
06-22-2010, 09:27 AM
I've got a factory one. Later I try to make some fotos.

Outsidevan
06-22-2010, 04:40 PM
Punter,
if you choose to go with an aftermarket sunroof, we would be happy to help. Here are photos of a van with sunroof.
http://outsidevan.com/reno-runner.html#

Thank you,
Outsidevan

cedarsanctum
06-22-2010, 10:52 PM
We have the factory sun roof, and i hate it. It is electric, and the ignition must be on to open or close it. At the moment the electronic controller for it is broken, water leakage from the antennae fried it, and the factory cannot get a replacement from the manufacturer going on 5 months now. It is very small, a huge disappointment, and cannot be left open when moving because it makes so much noise. It is the kind that pops up and then slides back over the roof, right in a noisy flow of air.
We had a sunroof installed in the rear that works great, is large enough to crawl out through, can be opened without electricity, and cost less than 1/4 what the factory one did. For some reason it is also fairly quiet when open, even at highway speed. I have forgotten it's open at times and had a wet bed, but that's the only down side. Somewhere i think i did a small write up about the installation on this site.

gary 32
06-23-2010, 10:35 PM
I custom ordered mine with a "rear sunroof" (placed between the 1st & 2nd passenger seat rows). At first I also thought the factory sunroof pricey and too small.

So I looked pretty hard and I found a "panoramic sunroof" that was 5 times larger and had all the electric functions of the factory roof. Problem was $5k installed and you would have to cut out and then replace some of the factory bracing. I decided I did not want a giant $5k glass hole in my roof.

3 years later, turns out the factory sunroof makes a lot of practical sense, the vehicle integration is great and there are several ways to use it; tilt or slide openings with electric control and a manual shade. This sunroof helps air move and I can almost always find a way to keep the wind noise reasonable, and unwanted sun and moisture out (sorry cedar).

mackconsult
06-23-2010, 10:49 PM
I get to put two in soon by myself.

Not looking forward to that first cut ..... :cry:

Hubert
06-25-2010, 09:16 AM
I have the same expirience and agree with that what Gary wrote.