PDA

View Full Version : Some Help with Value on '08 Sprinter

davidmaks
06-21-2010, 03:43 PM
Hello everyone,
This is my first post. Lot's of great info here and I am glad to be on board.
I have a 2008 SWB Diesel cargo van, low roof, glass in rear doors and side slider, rear defroster, winter package: heated seats, windshield, step bumper, fog lights, power windows and side mirrors, a set of General Grabber AT-2 snows w/3400 miles unmounted, AM/FM/CD, speed control, rain sensor in windshield and only 10,000 miles driven. Currently getting 21MPG! It's red, bright red! I put a carpet down over the wood floor to keep everything nice and clean and all service is Dealer done and up to date!
My question is that I see some vans similar but with much higher milage advertised for what seems like list price plus a few grand! What is the general feeling towards price/value on these vans now that Dodge no longer has anything to do with them except service.

kendall69
06-22-2010, 01:19 AM
My thoughts on any pricing is - it only take ONE.
People can ask whatever they want for anything and some people sit on those prices for months and may or may not get their price. Other price it fair and sell it in a week.

I just sold a 2005 Jeep Rubicon for 24K when you can buy a 2010 for not much more. Like I said it only takes one.

My brother is the type that puts outrageous prices on things and eventually after many, many months he gets his price. I'm too impatient, when I sell something I want it GONE.

As far as the Sprinter people are starting to notice them after all these years and know they can get many thousand miles out of them.

jdcaples
06-22-2010, 04:36 AM
I've never understood how anyone can say, "I have a <this> and it's worth <that>."

My house is worthless because I won't sell it for an economically reasonable price.

My Sprinter's worthless for the same reason.

An object's worth is momentary. It's worth exactly the money exchanged for the object at the moment of transfer.

Before and after the ownership is exchanged for cash, it's like quantum physics: the value changes because someone else looked at it.

Sorry.... but Sprinters are bought by and sold to enthusiasts or the enchanted, not the masses to which Kelly Blue Book caters.

Decide on a price and stick to it. If it hurts too much, then curb or embellish your ambition.

-Jon

blessedmomof8
06-22-2010, 05:34 AM
I don't know if I'll be of any help, but my husband and I have been seriously looking at Sprinters and their prices for a good 6 months. We have noticed the same trend...that the newer models are selling near the MSRP of a brand new one on many occasions. And not just being offered for that price...but actually selling at those prices. So much so that my husband even thought of just buying new. After we ran some numbers and figured we couldn't afford a $660.00 per month payment :wtf: (or didn't want to) we started to really look at a few more years used and see what those were going for.

What we noticed on the '03 to '07ish range was that the prices seemed to be very similar. The interesting thing was also that mileage sometimes didn't matter at all! We bid on an '04 158 without a tow package with a cassette and 98k miles on it for $18750. The gentleman stated that he couldn't come much off his $21999 price but would do $19999. The bank would only lend us the $18750 against that vehicle and too much would have to come out of our pocket so we had to think about how we could do that...and by the time we looked again, the next day...the vehicle sold.

2 days later I found our current van which was a year newer, with a CD player, a tow package, 35k miles less and much cleaner for $22999. Our bank would lend us $21750 against that van and they came down to $21990 and I bought it. When looking at other vehicles at that same price, there really wasn't anything that I felt could match what we were getting by buying the Sprinter.

The very next morning I was curious and found another van...which was nearly identical to the one I just purchased for the same price, but it had 198k miles on it. So my husband and I figured that we could drive a good 50k to 100k miles on our van and could probably still get a good price for it! :thumbup:

My final contribution to your question comes from my husband..."People will pay whatever they think that 'thing' is worth." :professor:

folzag
06-22-2010, 07:35 PM
One thing to be careful about when paying above book value is that if you are in an accident the insurance companies will not pay above "book" without a lot of fight and hassle. This happened to me with a 17 y.o. diesel Volvo a few years back. I got lucky for a few unrelated reasons, but just convincing the other guy's adjuster not to penalize me "-30% for diesel engine" was a non-trivial matter and a significant victory for myself.

Certainly life's a crap-shoot and we could die tomorrow, so be happy and have fun while you can. Just be sure to go in with both eyes open.

wmlog
06-23-2010, 01:15 AM
It seems that a relevant consideration on Sprinters is supply and demand. If you have one to sell and want a certain price for it, there is nothing wrong with 'sitting on it' for awhile, hoping to get the price, if you can afford to do so. I sold my '06 for what I felt to be a good price, but it took 4 months to sell because no one could get any money at all from any bank. I was happy - the new owner was happy - that's a win-win.

Some years ago I sold a used Honda motorcycle for more than you could get a new one for! But, that was because there were 2 idiots that both thought they needed the bike! I didn't have a problem with that, and even offerred to buy a brand new bike for the guy who lost out on my used bike for the same money! - OK, the new owner then found out and he was a little upset, but that wasn't my problem. They started the bidding war, not me!

:cheers:

davidmaks
06-23-2010, 01:06 PM
Thank you all for some very interesting thoughts. Someone's perception of value or what they may be willing to pay for something is most certainly hard to understand. It makes a very thoughtful topic for discussion. For many years I drove a GMC van and finally, after my back gave out from all the bending over to get tools and supplies out of the rear, I saw the Sprinter and that was it! Cost almost did not matter, well, it did a bit when I got the quote! But I bought it anyway and am very happy I did.
Someone posted a question regarding a Red cargo van. I have a RED one and it's quite the attention getter!
Thanks,
Dave

RedFord77
06-23-2010, 11:11 PM
Regarding supply and demand, I have been looking at Sprinters for nearly one year. Last September in California there were new 08s being offered at a deep discount at a few dealerships. There is a post about it in the specials section. I remember reading that post and looking at the incentives and thinking it was still allot. Now I am sometimes seeing used 2006 sprinters for nearly the same price as was advertised at that time. In addition the used ads I see seem to disappear much more quickly than about a year ago.

Düsseldorfer
06-23-2010, 11:59 PM
There are still some new '08s sitting on Dodge lots here and there, and I'm willing to bet at least some of those guys are willing to deal. But those few '08s that are left are generally going to be either ones that are optioned to the max (with a high sticker) or those with really goofy options (like a bright red one the local fire department didn't want after all).

When I was shopping for mine in December '08, I built a small piece of software that scanned the Dodge web database for exactly what I wanted. I found four matches: dealers in California, Washington, Illinois, and New York. (I am in Texas.) California was no go for tax reasons; Washington couldn't quite get to my price; New York didn't want to deal at all; and Illinois gave me exactly the price I needed and even picked me up at the airport. I saved many thousands by shopping around, and I got the perfect van.

Bottom line: there is a tradeoff between time spent and money spent, especially if you're looking for something specific. There are still deals out there if you can find them. And I for one have a hard time seeing prices firm up on these vehicles too much, especially since MB actually lowered the sticker prices when they took the line back from Dodge.

If you like Telephone Van White, hoo boy, you are spoiled for choice! :smirk:

D

kmessinger
06-24-2010, 12:09 AM
My 08 Sprinter is worth a million bucks!

Regards,

Keith

Chandlerazman
06-24-2010, 09:03 PM
My Telephone white van only cost me 27k out the door! (Dodge) This is the first vehicle I own that is not upside down in value. Truth be told, I can't imagine spending 50k on any vehicle unless I needed the writeoff.

BBlessing
06-25-2010, 03:23 PM
My Telephone white van only cost me 27k out the door! (Dodge) This is the first vehicle I own that is not upside down in value. Truth be told, I can't imagine spending 50k on any vehicle unless I needed the writeoff.

mine was $60k out the door, and it's paid for in full! but to me, it is priceless. :drool:

bb

Bajabum
06-25-2010, 04:03 PM
Thank you all for some very interesting thoughts. Someone's perception of value or what they may be willing to pay for something is most certainly hard to understand. It makes a very thoughtful topic for discussion. For many years I drove a GMC van and finally, after my back gave out from all the bending over to get tools and supplies out of the rear, I saw the Sprinter and that was it! Cost almost did not matter, well, it did a bit when I got the quote! But I bought it anyway and am very happy I did.
Someone posted a question regarding a Red cargo van. I have a RED one and it's quite the attention getter!
Thanks,
Dave

I must say the RED get's my attention too. :thumbup: