PDA

View Full Version : OEM glass retrofit?

doctorzaius
06-19-2010, 06:21 PM
Has anyone added OEM windows to the rear doors? Just wondering if its even possible.

WAYNERODD
06-19-2010, 06:40 PM
Just went out to my vans to take a look. One with them & one without. Yes it can be done. But I have never done it. It should not be that hard to do. But you may want to consider an after market window that opens up. The cargo ones don't open. Hope this helps, Wayne

robertmorehead
06-19-2010, 09:06 PM
oem would come from Merc or dodge. there are ncv3 windows with the "factory Look" available. but as mentioned if camping opening is best. her are several options i have. Portholes?
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_JJu0NGelef4/S_g0nEpyb9I/AAAAAAAAF_s/VQnTwBqMFzE/s576/012.JPGhttp://lh5.ggpht.com/_JJu0NGelef4/SobiWXyZpOI/AAAAAAAAErc/kmEMbukCoRs/s128/moto_00661%20%284%29.JPGhttp://lh6.ggpht.com/_JJu0NGelef4/SP-7Sf9dknI/AAAAAAAAAx4/TVbTSCbk2g4/s576/DSCN0444.JPG
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_JJu0NGelef4/SP-8mZdh7qI/AAAAAAAAA9A/HQt22V3hiVE/s512/DSCN0404.JPG

steve08
06-22-2010, 02:02 AM
I installed rear windows in my 08, CRL makes a window that looks much like OEM. They glue in, I had never glued in a window before, so I cut the holes and took them to a auto glass store and they glued them in-- they look great.

Here is one dealer link to the part:
http://www.trucknvans.com/CRL-2007-OEM-Design-All-Glass-Look-Sprinter-Van-F-p/fw624l.htm

doctorzaius
06-22-2010, 06:19 AM
I installed rear windows in my 08, CRL makes a window that looks much like OEM. They glue in, I had never glued in a window before, so I cut the holes and took them to a auto glass store and they glued them in-- they look great.

Here is one dealer link to the part:
http://www.trucknvans.com/CRL-2007-OEM-Design-All-Glass-Look-Sprinter-Van-F-p/fw624l.htm

You're happy? They don't leak or anything? Price seems right.

clark
06-23-2010, 07:58 PM
I installed the CRL version in mine. I have two extra that I'm selling. See here. (http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11429)

There's a photo on there too.

Clark

gsenthil
05-22-2014, 11:36 PM
I want to install OEM style all glass non opening windows but CRL doesn't have them. GenuineMercedesParts.com (Mercedes Sprinter dealer in Alpharetta GA) has them for very reasonable prices (better than CRL) but will not ship glass. Local Sprinter dealership wants ~600 for each window. Are there any other alternatives to places that sell OEM glass? I am not looking for Vent/Slider/T windows.

rb3232
05-28-2014, 03:18 AM
I don't know if you can do better, but Berry Dodge in TX can probably fill your order. I had OEM slider door glass shipped to me.

PaulDavis
05-28-2014, 03:43 AM
I want to install OEM style all glass non opening windows but CRL doesn't have them.

Really?

http://www.dkhardware.com/product-38787-fw627r-2007-oem-design-all-glass-look-sprinter-van-passenger-side-rear-window-144-wheel-base-only.html

DK has all the other variants too. What's the problem?

rb3232
05-28-2014, 04:58 AM
Really?

http://www.dkhardware.com/product-38787-fw627r-2007-oem-design-all-glass-look-sprinter-van-passenger-side-rear-window-144-wheel-base-only.html

DK has all the other variants too. What's the problem?

If one doesn't want opening glass I don't know why you would order CRL and not OEM. I guess you might want CRL's for the clamp type mounting...

gsenthil
05-28-2014, 08:31 PM
Paul- I am looking for the 170WB version of the rear windows and Driver side front but CRL has them in TVent version only.

rb- thanks...will call Berry Dodge.

OEM (sourced locally) is twice the price of CRL and hence going w CRL. I was of the opinion that both CRL and OEM are urethane installs? Atleast all the posts here seem to imply that. What is clamp type? Do I need to order any additional parts?

PaulDavis
05-28-2014, 10:48 PM
Right you are about the T-vents for the front windows.

The CRL's "clamp type" means that they install by fitting into the OEM "hole", and having a rubber gasket on the outside surface pulled tight ("squashed tight" might be more accurate) by an inner aluminum frame that is screwed into the outer frame (from the inside). No urethane, no glue, the windows can be removed and replaced at any time. Very fool-proof install, all things considered.

rb3232
05-28-2014, 11:58 PM
Paul- I am looking for the 170WB version of the rear windows and Driver side front but CRL has them in TVent version only.

rb- thanks...will call Berry Dodge.

OEM (sourced locally) is twice the price of CRL and hence going w CRL. I was of the opinion that both CRL and OEM are urethane installs? Atleast all the posts here seem to imply that. What is clamp type? Do I need to order any additional parts?

I'm pretty sure OEM from Berry will not be double the cost of CRL's. OEM are urethane installs, CRL is clamp type. I have noticed in the write ups of CRL installs that it appears if you just cut the hole using the inside skin as a guide your hole will be slightly large. I think I would use the CRL frame as a guide for cutting not the inside skin. Good luck! Ross

PaulDavis
05-29-2014, 12:25 AM
I have noticed in the write ups of CRL installs that it appears if you just cut the hole using the inside skin as a guide your hole will be slightly large. I think I would use the CRL frame as a guide for cutting not the inside skin.

not my experience. the inside skin is indeed a couple of mm too big, but the design of the CRL windows makes this irrelevant. using the frame would be quite difficult since it is rather flexible on its own. I cut to the inner skin profile, and still had to squish my CRL's into the hole just a little. Perfect.

main thing is (obviously): don't lose control of that cutting tool !

rb3232
05-29-2014, 03:25 AM
not my experience. the inside skin is indeed a couple of mm too big, but the design of the CRL windows makes this irrelevant. using the frame would be quite difficult since it is rather flexible on its own. I cut to the inner skin profile, and still had to squish my CRL's into the hole just a little. Perfect.

main thing is (obviously): don't lose control of that cutting tool !

Your statement reconciles with what I have read: "my experience. the inside skin is indeed a couple of mm too big".

I have not read where any of those CRL installs were complete failures as a result but it sure sounds like more than one wished they had cut a smaller hole. When I said using the CRL frame for guidance, that of course would be to make a template if appropriate...

gsenthil, good luck and all the best with the install. Ross

PaulDavis
05-29-2014, 03:25 PM
The CRL rubber gasket is so wide that you'd really have to be incredibly detail obsessed or to have made a major cutting error for to fail to create a completely water tight seal based on the inner skin cutout. The CRL inner frame sits on the inner skin when installed, and if I recall correctly is actually slightly larger than the inner skin cutout would be.

Dannyboyski
05-29-2014, 06:36 PM
I installed oem style opening windows in sliding door and opposite, and also rear oem equivalent in a friends ncv3 he was converting!

We cut to the inner skin on all of them.

Then applied the flexible sika type bonding use plenty and just stuck them on clamp with straps to keep it in position while it sets!

Not hard but you need 2 people as the windows are heavy.

Also my biggest tip - warm up the bonding material and get a heavy duty cartridge dispenser (aka silicone gun) as it's dense!

Do it yourself save a few quid!

Db

rb3232
05-30-2014, 02:49 AM
I installed oem style opening windows in sliding door and opposite, and also rear oem equivalent in a friends ncv3 he was converting!

Then applied the flexible sika type bonding use plenty and just stuck them on clamp with straps to keep it in position while it sets!

Also my biggest tip - warm up the bonding material and get a heavy duty cartridge dispenser (aka silicone gun) as it's dense!

Db

Danny Boy Ski, Did you use the OEM "weather strip" (as described in the parts manual) around the opening or just glass and urethane window adhesive? Thanks, I may be installing the OEM glass in my slider tomorrow. Ross

rb3232
05-30-2014, 02:59 AM

Db

Please clarify "oem style opening windows". Was that in the USA which I think means CRL's? Or in europe which might mean urethane installation - no frames and the opening within the glass and not at the edge. Thanks, Ross

Dannyboyski
05-30-2014, 12:45 PM
Ross I'm in the uk!

Glass opens within the glass!

Db