PDA

View Full Version : manual states service yearly yet my sprinter sat on lot 2 years. When is service due

lynntrzynka
06-18-2010, 04:02 PM
Our 2009 motorhome on 2008 sprinter chassis sat on the dealer lot for 16 months before I purchased "new". I want to maintain correctly but not sure when I should consider the "start" of my 12 months. Oil and fuel filter replacement state "recommend every 12 months or 10,000 miles. I bought it in March (W/ 3000 miles) and there are 5000k miles on it now. Should I change the oil and fuel filter now because it is 19 months since manufacturer or wait until it hits 10k or until next March when i've reached the anniversary of the year I purchased. I've talked to dealer and don't feel confident in his reply (previous post where dealer claims all services should be done twice as much due to heavy weight of motorhome even though it is under GVW). Thank you for your input.

gary 32
06-18-2010, 08:04 PM
I would change the oil and both filters just for peace of mind.
You might not be asking the question if you were comfortable.
A 2008 chassis mean the fluids have been in your vehicle for longer than 18 months.

I change my oil and filter every 7500, fuel filter every 10k (passenger low roof 144), for no other reason than my own peace of mind.

I do fluids and brakes myself so there is no Dodge dealer getting wealthy on my behalf. Arizona Autohaus or Europarts gets my orders for these items.

OrioN
06-18-2010, 08:08 PM
there is 'break-in oil' currently in there to consider, i'd replace oil with same if you know for sure that the current oil broke down from sitting...

folzag
06-18-2010, 08:49 PM
I had a Feb 2007 date of manufacture which I bought in August 2008 new of the lot with 70 or 80 miles on it. I changed the brake fluid at 24 months, but everything else I've followed the mileage schedules.

The reason for time schedules is to protect against the case where the vehicle is driven for many short trips. In fact, those are the hardest miles, where the engine and components never get a chance to warm-up and seat-in. I drive the van somewhat infrequently, but seldom for short trips. The reason I went ahead and changed the brake fluid early is because my understanding is that brake fluid is hydrophilic. It, unlike oil and grease, will absorb water from the atmosphere.

I think there is also a case to be made for topping up rust inhibitors in the coolant, though, I don't know how strong a case it is. I think without the engine being run you are not adding contaminates to the coolant system. The coolant system is sealed under pressure. The contaminates come from the engine combustion, not from the atmosphere. If anyone has knowledge otherwise, do share.

businessgypsy
06-18-2010, 11:56 PM
My March 24 2008 build date sat in the Arizona desert until I bought it from the dealership (who got it from another failed dealer) in November 2009 (with 21 miles on the ODO). I was very concerned, but researching this forum convinced me to leave the fluid levels alone, except for checking leaks. As OrioN said, the break-in oil is important. My search shifted to rubber parts, from hoses to belts to tires, checking for dry rot or cracks. I also ran all the searches for recalls and service bulletins I could, and had the dealer take action on those before I accepted delivery. Finally, I took a ton of under hood and under carriage pics at the dealer so I could compare conditions down the road. I'm just closing in on my first 10,000 miles. SO far so good. The next 10K will only take about three months.

Good luck!