Advice on a leaky steering rack?

chuho

2005 118'' low roof
Hi all-

My 2005 118" with 60K miles has a slow power steering leak coming from the boot that covers the right tie rod. It's been going for at least a few months now and during that time I've been topping up the fluid as needed. Recently I've noticed the leak seems to have gotten bigger and sometimes during slow speed turns (in a parking lot, for example) there's a little bit of shuddering in the steering.

Have many others experienced this? The archives seem thin on this problem.

I've read that the entire rack has to be replaced. Really?

Has anyone had luck with stop-leak power steering fluid? Or should I just bite the bullet and call the mechanic?

WAYNERODD

You are going to have to replace the whole rack to fix this problem. Also some people recommend replacing the power steering pump. A good flush of the entire power steering system will also be required. That will help keep any junk out of your new rack. The use of stop leak may slow the leak, But it will only get worse with time!

Additives are dicey at times, but to me it's an easy decision for a Sprinter power steering leak being that the steering gear is not normally rebuilt just replaced. Because of that you don't have much to lose.

I've had good luck with Lucas products being added early on. Unfortunately you may have waited too long. As I said though, to try it now you have nothing to lose but a few bucks of product at this point. It may buy you some time to check for better parts prices and allow slower shipping . Good luck. vic

lucas.gif

djc126

Hi. There is another product made by ATP called AT-205 that reconditions seals (www.atp-inc.com) in a white bottle. You could try it along with a change of the steering fluid.

My local tech has had success using it in engines with a leaking front crank seal.

I'm considering using it in an MB car with a bad front crank seal leak as oil change is due.

It should be readily available at automotive stores.

That seems like low mileage for a rack to go.

Regards,

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
What part of factory warranty would cover the power steering rack on a 04 T1N? I have Power Train and Engine still in place, but if this falls under the original 3 year 36K. then that is over at this point....

yellowmike

Hi. There is another product made by ATP called AT-205 that reconditions seals (www.atp-inc.com) in a white bottle. You could try it along with a change of the steering fluid.

My local tech has had success using it in engines with a leaking front crank seal.

I'm considering using it in an MB car with a bad front crank seal leak as oil change is due.

It should be readily available at automotive stores.

That seems like low mileage for a rack to go.

Regards,
This stuff works! I have used it in 2 leaky steering systems, my 2003 & a friends 2004 and they both have quit leaking. My only concern is that the seal will give out all at once so I still keep a bottle of steering fluid with me.
PS you can source a steering rack that is much cheaper than going through a dealer.

Gulf SV

Kevin Burns
My experience with stop leaks indicates they work best when the leak is minimal. Over time, this stuff will degrade the seals causing the steering to become resistive. Use it as a minor delay as you search for a new rack.

Top Bottom