Fuel mileage poor ?

openclassmc

On my 2010 Fleetwood Quest motorhome on the sprinter 3500 chassis pulling a 7X12 box trailer weighing about 3000 lbs I am only getting 13.5 MPG at best with cruise control set at 62 MPH on the highway. Is anyone else getting this poor of fuel mileage?

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
I think not many have the kind of weight you have (RV & box trailer). It seems pretty good mileage for something like that.

openclassmc

You are probably rite the mileage is about where it should be for as much as I am pulling. Any time you talk to sales people they will tell you 18-20 MPG so I figured I would get about 15 MPG towing. Any one else towing with a Sprinter let me know if your mileage is close to what I am getting.

IslandGuy

Just came back from a 10 day trip with a Winnebago View 24A (full wall slide) and we avg 16 mpg....think you are doing pretty good.

rvdriverca

2006 pleasure way, heading west in South Dakota pushing a 30MPH wind out of the NW., with the cruise control set @ 79-80 mph on the GPS. 14.2 MPG.

openclassmc

Thank you for the feedback on your fuel mileages. I have tried running at 75 MPH with cruise control on and my mileage drops to about 11.5 MPG. If any one knows of any aftermarket modifications that can be done that will help fuel mileage and power with out voiding my warranty let me know. Thank you.

windsprinter

Thank you for the feedback on your fuel mileages. I have tried running at 75 MPH with cruise control on and my mileage drops to about 11.5 MPG. If any one knows of any aftermarket modifications that can be done that will help fuel mileage and power with out voiding my warranty let me know. Thank you.
Really inexpensive aftermarket fix, mod is perfectly acceptable with regard to warranty; SLOW DOWN

openclassmc

I only have 5000 miles on it so far. It runs down the road very well at about 62 MPH and it handles very nice. I did one run at 75 MPH for about 300 mile when I got 11.5 MPG and the handling felt a little mushy at that speed especially in a cross wind.

david_42

How tall is the trailer?

You might take a look at Air-tabs. Putting them up the sides and across the top of the RV will help reduce turbulence between the RV and the trailer. That will cut the drag. The people I know that use them report a 3-4% improvement in mileage while towing.

openclassmc

My trailer is about a foot and half lower and a couple inches narrower than my RV so I don't think a air dam would change the mileage much.

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
On my 2010 Fleetwood Quest motorhome on the sprinter 3500 chassis pulling a 7X12 box trailer weighing about 3000 lbs I am only getting 13.5 MPG at best with cruise control set at 62 MPH on the highway. Is anyone else getting this poor of fuel mileage?
You'll see a 2MPG improvement by turning off the cruise control, and holding your foot steady.
You may see a 1-2 MPG improvement by filling your tires to maximum stated on your door.
You may see a 2 MPG improvement by carrying less of the unnecessary heavy stuff.

Any other motorhome would probably get 8-10MPG with hauling that much.

Papa Don

I have 7000 miles now on my Fleetwood Pulse 24D and am getting 15 mpg using 63-65 mph. I'm pretty pleased with that mileage when I consider I was only getting 12 mpg on my Dodge Ram 1500 SLT.

Just wondering if anyone out there has figured out what the optimum speed is for the best mileage?

By the way, my mileage started out new in the high 13's and now has improved to the 15+ range.

Papa Don

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
With the experience of a 30 day, 4500 mile trip in our Sprinter RV and several years towing a camper, I'll humbly offer a couple suggestions. First driving continuously over 70 is really pushing your limits. Making those speeds towing a trailer is way over the edge.... IMHO. With several years of towing a 17' hybrid behind my Sienna van (with sway and equalizer bars) it is clear that getting and staying over 65 is REAL WORK and in a short time your concentration begins to fail. Its hard on the equipment and it just sucks fuel. Also, considering my analog speedo reads 2-3 mph SLOW and it's likely yours does too, you are going faster than indicated. A more prudent speed is probably 60-65 for safety, wear and tear, tire reliablity & fuel economy ...not to mention the comfort of your passengers.

Our Ventura got between 18.5 and 21.5 under various conditions but keeping the speed down to 63 (100Km/hr) with an occasional burst to 70 for passing got the best MPG. Hills obviously take more fuel and they eat into your economy. The next thing is winds.... if you are making 70 and have a 15 mph head the van thinks its doing 85 and your fuel bill will reflect that fact. Direct or quartering headwinds eat gas! No ifs ands or buts.. So if you recognize a headwind and or cross wind... slow down 5 mph. Same with rough roads.... they eat fuel much more than a smooth flat macadam surface. Again, slow down to a comfortable speed. Mine varies depending on winds & road surfaces ... slowing down or speeding up as appropriate.

Adding a trailer.... it should be no surprise that your economy goes down.

I use the CC almost all the time. Set and forget! At a reasonable speed 60 - 65 mph. I use my GPS' speed function and set my speed by the GPS as the speedo reads slower than actual.

The biggest contributor to aero drag (and low fuel economy) on Sprinters is the formation of a low pressure area behind the moving vehicle. 'Fast backs, Kamm backs are much better at reducing or fooling the air into thinking the vehicle is tapered at the back to reduce this low pressure area. Bread boxs (AKA Sprinter, box van, semi van) are bad news especially when they have 90 degree edges on the back and along the top edge. Air-Tabs are best when used on 'boxes' that have square corners and edges. Take note that Benz has carefully radius-ed the rear corners (nice gentle curves), the top sides and rear top edge of the Sprinter. This is no accident or stylist's whimsy. It is aerodynamically beneficial. So I don't think it would help much to Air-Tab a Sprinter.

After 'reading' the dirt patterns on our Sprinter, I don't believe Air-Tabs (a wonderful product I think) will do much good. I'll point to the fact that the rear windows remain pretty clean, indicating that there's not a much low pressure forming behind the van that would suck dirt to the windows.

Now, there is a collection of dirt and rain water run off about 3' up from the bottom sides. Above that the vehicle is very clean. Its as if you had drawn a line horizontally along the side below which its dirty and above its much cleaner. If you were to use Air-Tabs, I'd think you would want to use them somewhere in, and below, the dirt line. However, this area is very 'dirty' air flow wise due to the wheel openings, mud flaps, etc., that produce a lot of turbulence themselves. My point is that Air Tab might not be as effective in the 'dirty' air as it would in a laminar flow higher up (where you don't need it).

However, I am considering using AirTabs in specific areas. Several could be placed on the top rear edge of the air conditioner unit which sits like a big marshmallow on the van's roof.... along with the other warts and bumps. Here they would catch clean air and create a nice vortex off the back of the A/C unit that would (theoretically) cascade into the Sprinter's wake making it appear 'longer and sloped' to the air flow. Also, one could be placed on the rear side of the box holding the awning. Another could be placed on the 'wart' covering the refrigerator unit's chimney. The latter two would create vortex that would again help make the vehicle appear longer and sloped to the passing air.... or at least contribute to the process.

Cheers!

We just came back from Florida and we did 15.8 mpg with our Sprinter Diesel Icon 2A. CC was on when I drove and mostly off when my wife drove. Avg'ed between 60 to 65 mph for comfort. Also, we are having an issue with steering wheel shudder at speeds higher than 65 mph which we will have to address. We didn't "baby" it by any means, but, next time we will to maximize fuel economy a little bit more for sure.

MeRob

I drove my 2012 24ft Class C for 700 miles through three mountain passes. Average mileage was 18 mpg (us) speed 55 - 60 ( poor road conditions). I never did associate Mercedes with fuel economy.

chromisdesigns

I have a 2008 Winnebago View 24h, driving 70 mph on I95 I averaged 9.9 mpg
We get mid 15's to 16 regularly sometimes a bit more if conditions are favorable. Under 10 suggests something drastically wrong.

Important to shift the transmission as if it were a manual box and keep rpms up. If you just shove it in drive and forget it, you aren't doing much of a favor either for your engine or your wallet. See Sailquick's posts for details why.

Top Bottom