Serpentine Belt.

kendall69

I've got about 50K miles on my belt and I'm about to go on a long road trip 3-5k miles should I change or are you guys getting high miles on these belts?

Thanks in advance

kmessinger

What other spare parts do you carry Keith?
An extra oil and fuel filter with clamps for the fuel filter and an extra plug for the oil pan plus a serpentine belt - not too much. I should maybe add a hose for the bottom of the turbo cooler but haven't gotten to it. I do carry that tape that fuses to itself also, and an assortment of fuses, wire, etc. and a small amount of tools.

Besides parts, I carry a 28k snatch strap, an air compressor, a receiver shackle bracket, a shovel, machete and a complete EMT type first aid bag.

And with all that, if I can't stay on the road, I have a pretty complete mini-bar with various libations both for the gods and for me. :laughing:

http://www.ourexcellentadventures.com/tag/parts/

Regards,

Keith

nebep

I keep a tensioner, idler pullies, extra belt, and a few basic things to address those.

My experience has been that those are the simplest, worst things that can keep you from moving so far.

The space under the passenger seat is empty for a reason I believe!! :)

When we head out, I just look carefully over everything, I'll be doing an oil change, fuel filter, checking belt and tensioner well, I'll probably go ahead and pull the belt off and inspect pulleys carefully for anything that looks suspect.

Having two sprinters is nice - especially when one is full time use and the other is part time leisure - makes for a nice "parts house on wheels" scenario!! I know this isn't practical for all, I was in the right place, doin' the right thing at the right time...

kendall69

Well I just got back from the dealer and told him to save the old belts for me. I got home to inspect the belts and they still loos so new I was wondering if the mechanic didn't install the news one just left them in the van. Further inspection almost with a magnifying glass ( kidding ) but looking hard showed these as the used belts with little wear.

No complaints here as now I know they are new for the upcoming long road trip. Cheap insurance.

Top Bottom