Break In

1Jeff

Just received word my new van will be available for pickup at the dealer next week. I need to take a road trip to Colorado right away and I would like to tow a small utility trailer (about 2000 lbs). I expect there will be some break in guidance in the owners manual, however, I would also like to get advice from those on the Forum who have first hand experience. What do you say about break in procedures and, can I tow the trailer right away (ie, say, with only two hundred miles on the van) ?

1Jeff

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The "usual" advice for break-in is:
be gentle
don't over-rev it
don't "lug" it (too early shifting)
don't subject it to -heavy- loading
don't run it for hours and hours at a constant speed/load... vary it up and down a bit
(i was told to avoid cruise control for the first few thousand miles...)

When i received my 2005 diesel Sprinter, the Freightliner dealer advised all of the above "for the first 10,000 miles".
My Owners Manual added:
For the first 1,000 miles: don't push the pedal below the "kickdown" point,
don't manually down-shift, don't accelerate by kickdown or down-shifting,
don't down-shift to engine brake,
"After 1,000 miles (about 1,500 km) you can gradually increase road and engine speeds to normal driving and requirements."

You can download an owner's manual from http://www.dodge.com/owners/index.html (a 2009 will suffice for the 2010 in this respect).

Many people do report seeing "break-in" happen by a noticable change (improvement) in power/mileage in the 8,000 to 10,000 area.

have fun
--dick

Last edited:

As is often the case, I agree with what Dick said in his post. Using common sense and avoiding abuse of a new engine should do you well.

My personal opinion? (Not based at all upon statistics.) As a practical matter a 2,000 lb trailer towed with care by a new Sprinter engine should not be any problem at all.

FWIW. I doubt that the FedEx and other corporate owned delivery Sprinters get any kind of long "babied" break-in period. In your case I would say moderation is the key. Have fun. vic
The "usual" advice for break-in is:
be gentle
don't over-rev it
don't "lug" it (too early shifting)
don't subject it to -heavy- loading
don't run it for hours and hours at a constant speed/load... vary it up and down a bit
(i was told to avoid cruise control for the first few thousand miles...)

When i received my 2005 diesel Sprinter, the Freightliner dealer advised all of the above "for the first 10,000 miles".
My Owners Manual added:
For the first 1,000 miles: don't push the pedal below the "kickdown" point,
don't manually down-shift, don't accelerate by kickdown or down-shifting,
don't down-shift to engine brake,
"After 1,000 miles (about 1,500 km) you can gradually increase road and engine speeds to normal driving and requirements."

You can download an owner's manual from http://www.dodge.com/owners/index.html (a 2009 will suffice for the 2010 in this respect).

Many people do report seeing "break-in" happen by a noticable change (improvement) in power/mileage in the 8,000 to 10,000 area.

have fun
--dick

1Jeff

Thanks, guys. Sounds pretty much the same as for a gas engine. Just wanted to be sure there wasn't something unique I might not be aware of, as this is my first diesel.

1Jeff

boputnam

1Jeff...

I am at the same age. And, was told most of what "--dick" said. The only thing I can add, is my dealer advised against any towing during the "break-in" period (+500 mi...?). I agree with "AP" that the tare weight of the trailer is certainly within capability, but you might ask this question directly to your vendor. And, please post your findings here!

When she arrives, try and stop grinning - just try.

bo

is my dealer advised against any towing during the "break-in" period (+500 mi...?).
That is something a dealer might say, but that doesn't make it correct. They are trying to protect themselves against the "turn key and go" clueless jokers that don't understand anything about equipment.

I submit that moderately towing a 2000# trailer is no different in weight/strain on a new Sprinter engine than is "breaking in" a fully loaded 3500 RV conversion. It's the same engine. They don't tell them to remove all the installed RV equipment until break-in is over. Following the "usual" outline Autostaretx posted should just do fine. (Don't be afraid to downshift when towing. Search for some of Sailquik's advice.)

This is all just my opinion. My advice and dollar won't even get you a cup of coffee in the big city.:2cents: vic

Last edited:

1Jeff

Well, hey, the towing doesn't have to be an issue. It's 200 miles from the dealer to my house. After that, I'll just delay leaving with the trailer for a few days and by the time I drive around the mileage will be up there. I'll be calm on the trip and everything will be fine, I am sure. Thanks to all for the discussion. I'll put some pics up when I get it.

1Jeff

Top Bottom