Airstream Interstate Batteries

jwwhidbey

Is there any reason to replace both batteries (house & engine) at the same time? Also has anyone used Walmart's 49 Maxx battery?

avid

Saphira's rider
I didn't and wouldn't think it necessary. The only bad surprise about my interstate was replacing the house battery. The way it is installed makes changing difficult. I also would like to encourage more Interstate owners to use Sprinter source. Using my iPad with no great way to rechare otherwise I would write more.

avid

Saphira's rider
I ended up with an Exide AGM battery. It cost a $170 dollars and took the poor guy 2 hours to install, for which I was charged 5 Dollars. It came with a 2 year free replacement warranty. Our Airstream is going to the nearest Service Center this week to have a look at the issues with the battery box on our Interstate. Somehow the battery clamp was installed with not enough room for standard sized batteries to be installed and no room to adjust the height of the clamp or move it higher in the box. The original battery installed was jacked into place almost causing the case to break under the pressure of the clamp. As I mentioned, this is the only questionable part of an otherwise fabulous RV. Hopefully the Service Center will have some idea what we can do to rectify the problem.

ben322

I replaced both house batteries when one lost a cell. I decided to replace both with 2 Lifeline AGM 24T's. The access to the battery box in the new Interstate requires removal of the rear power sofa which I can now do in 15 minutes. The box itself actually penetrates the rear floor and has it's own vent on the side. The batteries are stacked on removable wooden shelves within the metal box. I re-bent the metal straps to accommodate the slightly taller Lifelines and it now fits perfectly. I don't know if you can use a late model battery box, (especially since it goes through the floor), but it's well designed and can accommodate 2 house batteries.

avid

Saphira's rider
Went to George Sutton RV, an Airstream dealer, to have them look at the battery box issue. Interestingly this is not an Airstream warranty item. The house and chassis batteries were both installed by Mercedes/Dodge. Now I need to check and see if Mercedes or only Dodge can handle the issue. George Sutton treated us very nicely and reseated our Fantastic fan which had been having a very minor leak occasionally.

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
The house and chassis batteries were both installed by Mercedes/Dodge.

That statement is suspect. At least on the T1Ns. On those, Mercedes might have installed a house battery under the passenger seat but not, I think in a box in the rear.

avid

Saphira's rider
That statement is suspect. At least on the T1Ns. On those, Mercedes might have installed a house battery under the passenger seat but not, I think in a box in the rear.
The box hangs off the chassis and the word came directly from Airstream's warranty honcho. The other reason it would seem plausible is that the original battery was a Mopar branded unit. Need to run this by someone from MB to see what they say. I have an additional year warranty on both the RV and the chassis, not really concerned. Kind of more like a whodunnit mystery at this point.

eghaley

I replaced the house battery in my 2007 Interstate with an Exide Orbital battery after a cell in the original went bad. There was very little room under the passenger seat to wiggle the old out or the new in. However, there is a way to accomplish this task.

The passenger seat rides on two runners when you adjust the seat for and aft. At the far forward end of the runner track are tabs that prevent the seat from moving too far forward and sliding off the track. If you remove the tabs (hack saw) you'll be able to slide the seat forward enough to remove the battery easily provided you raise the seat using the two lifters on the right side of the seat. Be careful not to let the seat rail run off the track. There are small delrin bearings that may come out.

When you're through with the battery installation, you can insert screws into the tracks where the tabs were to act as a slider stop to prevent the seat from coming too far forward.

I haven't actually measured the space under the seat but it looks like there might be room for two 6volt house batteries in series to give a higher capacity.

After replacing my battery, I think I have a problem with the Parallax charger. It doesn't charge the battery. I'm checking that out next week.

Has anybody had an issue with the power converter?

eghaley

I replaced the house battery in my 2007 Interstate with an Exide Orbital battery after a cell in the original went bad. There was very little room under the passenger seat to wiggle the old out or the new in. However, there is a way to accomplish this task.

The passenger seat rides on two runners when you adjust the seat for and aft. At the far forward end of the runner track are tabs that prevent the seat from moving too far forward and sliding off the track. If you remove the tabs (hack saw) you'll be able to slide the seat forward enough to remove the battery easily provided you raise the seat using the two lifters on the right side of the seat. Be careful not to let the seat rail run off the track. There are small delrin bearings that may come out.

When you're through with the battery installation, you can insert screws into the tracks where the tabs were to act as a slider stop to prevent the seat from coming too far forward.
Live and learn. There is an easy way to remove the seat cushion, allowing the battery below to be easily removed.

The charger is fine. The house power button must be "on" before the house battery will be charged by the converter.

Glad it turned out OK without spending anything from the RV budget.

Voyager

To gain access to the house battery on my 2006 Interstate, I remove two bolts under the front edge of the passenger seat. Then I tip back the seat which exposes the entire underseat area.

Since I replaced the house battery, I've not been able to turn off the "Use/Store" switch to kill the battery. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Baruch

2005 Airstream Interstate 22' mid-lounge
I have a 100 AH Lifeline GPL-27T in my 2005 Interstate mid-lounge and want to increase my capacity. Mine is under the cab passenger seat.
Anyone know how/where to add a second battery?
Thanks!

Top Bottom