Sprinter Roof Rack Systems

AVL_Sprinter

Whitewater Freak
I have been searching for a rack system for my high profile roof and I thought that I would share this with others...

Most of the racks that you can find for the Sprinter are made for ladders and specific working materials. While I think that they will hold up, I have been looking for a more specific rack to carry my whitewater kayaks and bikes like Thule or Yakima.

I used this company https://www.roofrackshop.com/default.asp about a year ago when trying to find racks for my Honda Fit. They are located in the U.K. and I have found that different products are offered in the UK that cannot be found here in the States. Like the Thule 421 adapter that allows you to adjust the height of the bars in accordance with the height of your roof. They have a whole section devoted to vans and mini-buses. They are super nice and very responsive with emails and whatnot. Prices are a little higher than here in the states, but you can't get Thule products for this van in the States when you have the high profile roof.

Anyway, I have found this to be a great resource for racks and hope this helps someone in the future. I will post pictures when I get them put on. :thumbup:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Look a little closer to home base Rhino Roof Racks make the lot, it's another foreign company 'FROM AUSTRALIA':tongue: However any load configuration is available for both the old roof rail systems and the new 07 models roof mounted height adjusters for lengths to suite the racks are available and loading reinforcing bars for weight distribution on top of the roof racks are also available.
Richard
Roof Racks – Rhino Rack is Australia’s Leading Supplier of Roof Racks Bike Racks and all Roof Rack Accessories
Follow the link, press the N/American site for information,as for the UK :thumbdown:
you can't afford the postage.:smilewink:

AVL_Sprinter

Whitewater Freak
So I got my racks today. :drool:

They shipped May 9th from the UK and got to NC today. Now that is service! :rad:

I have started putting them together and wanted to share some pictures of what they look like before I put them on.

They look very Euro and seem bomber!

Now I just got to figure out how to get up there to load boats.....:thinking:

:cheers:

Attachments

tegimr

2003 Pass 140 289000 mile
You need a Wooping Crane
View attachment 1812
And while your at it, the floor needs a refurb. to...
Richard
PS the gulls have a new perch:smilewink:
WOW - those will clear the high-top, but you'll definitely require at least a ladder to get a boat up there - even if it's a FolBot. Maybe a bumper lift or something . . . or maybe a trailer (to pull behind, not to put on top - just to be clear for Richard:thumbup: )

Tim

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Tim there is a local ladder setup for what your after but another member will have to direct you to the link it's in the forum of archives but sorry forgot where, I remember scott saying we Americans:smilewink: cant afford those fancy things we have.
Richard
Ladder and rack system.jpg

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Tim click the Rhino link for Australia there is a gas side lift for Kayaks
Rhino has the lot all options and acc's they have load limits , I never checked the N/American site , thinking it would be identical.
Richard

Homemade Bob

AVL Sprinter said

"Now I just got to figure out how to get up there to load boats....."

So AVL, did you figure out how to get your 'yaks up on top of your van? I happened to see one of the home-built caravanners from

http://www.sbmcc.co.uk/

installed his ladder inside one of the rear doors of his van (not Sprinter) to access the roof. He even notched the furnishings inside to accomodate the laddered door when closed. Very clever. I'm wondering if the magnets that hold the door in the open position against the side of the Sprinter are strong enough to handle climbing up and onto the roof without swinging like a drunk monkey :crazy::crazy:

Monkey Bob

AVL_Sprinter

Whitewater Freak
So AVL, did you figure out how to get your 'yaks up on top of your van? I happened to see one of the home-built caravanners from
Monkey Bob
This is what I did...
I added a ladder to the back door, put a Thule M.O.A.B. on one side so I can stand on it and put my kayak stackers on the other side for my boats. :rad:

Attachments

Homemade Bob

Nice Rack!![/SIZE

And I don't ever remember saying that to a guy.............ha!

Could you include another photo or two showing an upclose view of how the ladder legs attach to the van, perhaps how it's thru-bolted on the inside of the door (if it is), and where who you purchased your ladder from? I wonder would this ladder have fitted inside the door? I like the built-in security of having the ladder stowed inside, the height of the van being the deterent from theft or vandalism. It really looks like you are truly "good to go" now! Congrats.

Homemade Bob

seabumb

Richard,

Very nice of you to offer up the Rhino brand and the site link but here in the U.S. they claim that they do not make a Sprinter compatible system although it is clearly shown in the link. After phoning their Westin group here and trying to get help they refuse to even try... :thumbdown:

I'll give the U.K. RoofRack folks a try as per Mike.:idunno:

KL2BE

I cannot seem to find the Thule system you bought using the link to the UK link firm you posted :idunno:.
Any hints?
BTW did you just order the adaptors that extend the hight of the Thule brackets or the whole rack bracket the fits into the gutters?

PS: I did find this system using your link http://www.roofrackshop.co.uk/Van-P...MWB-LWB-96-05-3-Bar-Roof-System/0003834p.aspx
But I would prefer to stick with Thule as I have other accessories that fit Thule products.

Last edited:

pdxkid

currently vanless :-(
AVL Sprinter- It looks like we have nearly the same van.

Do you have the Thule part number that you used?

They are telling me that their towers only work for roofs that are 11" above the gutters. It seems like my roof is closer to 13"? I'm a little confused now...

hayduke

2005/2006 leisure travel
AVL Sprinter- It looks like we have nearly the same van.

Do you have the Thule part number that you used?

They are telling me that their towers only work for roofs that are 11" above the gutters. It seems like my roof is closer to 13"? I'm a little confused now...
I have been told the Thule 953 clears the high top

lance_k

So I got my racks today. :drool:

They shipped May 9th from the UK and got to NC today. Now that is service! :rad:

I have started putting them together and wanted to share some pictures of what they look like before I put them on.

They look very Euro and seem bomber!

Now I just got to figure out how to get up there to load boats.....:thinking:

what model gutter mount is that? having a hard time finding it!

kite

How have the gutters held up over time with the Thule 420 feet? Are they rusting like every van I see with vanteck racks?

I've been looking for a solution and have seen a lot of rusty gutters lately as I scope out rack solutions. The Thule 420 + 421 combo looks pretty good but I'd love to hear form someone like AVL_Sprinter that has had them on for a while.
Thanks!

Top Bottom