Woah! They have what?

Ok so I am a little slow, but I just found out that they offer the jeep with the CRD 3.0 and it made me curious is there any other vehicles with this motor or the 2.7 ? And does anyone know how these jeeps are holding up? I need a new vehicle for my bride and she refuses to drive a sprinter " to stinking big "! Maybe the jeep is a nice 4wd diesel option. Let me know. Thanks

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
The Jeep Grand Cherokee (Chrysler body WK) as of 2007 came with the MB OM642 diesel, 3.0L diesel.

There are something like than 2 dozen variants of the OM642 engine listed in the Electronic Parts Catalog for MBUSA, LLC (epc.startekinfo.com) so a great number of vehicles fit your bill.

I believe 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee's diesels had a 2.7 L, I5 OM647, but I'm not positive about that. I can only find two OM647 variants listed in EPC.

There are 8 variants of the OM612 family; one variant is found in the first T1Ns available in the US.

Daimler doesn't publish a matrix of chassis and engines, so it's on the the consumer to dig the info out of specs and journals like Motor Trend, maybe Consumer reports, maybe some other rag I can't think of at the moment.

If you really want an MB diesel engine, the shortest path to that is to get a bona fide MB product.

If you want a rebranded MB diesel engine, you're looking for diesel vehicles made in the Chrysler family of brands before Daimler divested from Chrysler/Cerebrus last year and before the Bankruptcy.

Good luck in your search.

-Jon

Last edited:
Wow! It's like a whole new world. Thanks john for the info I really had no idea. I can easily find the grand cherokee with the 3.0 but I would like a Cherokee with 2.7 and 4wd. Is there anything I should be aware of in terms of problems, or drawbacks?

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I was mistaken about the diesel Jeep. The 2006 Jeep Liberty had a 4 cyl diesel engine by an Italian company: VM Motori.

Sorry 'bout that.

I don't know much about that motor, but google.com, wikipedia.org and www.jeepforum.com/forum/ are your best places to start.

Techauthority.com is a subscription service for people (non-dealership employees) interested in vehicle factory/dealership service guidance and details for Chrysler products. It's a good resource if you know the type of info you're seeking.

The jeep forum is probably a better place to go ask type kinds of questions you want answered by enthusiasts.

Good luck!

-Jon

Top Bottom