What Engine Oil for a 2003 313 CDI 611 Engine

PeterInSa

Going to be up for my first Engine Oil Change soon, What engine oil should I be using?

Richard, you have posted on the US Site on this subject, I understand it should be to MB 229.51 Spec.

I prefer Mobil eg Mobil ESPxxxx or a Valvoline product xxxx for Australian temperature ranges. I think I have Mobil 15-40 in the sump now.

Some heavy stuff on the US Forums about Ash clogging the DPF Diesel Particle Filter, and some confusion about various oils, I realise that the wrong oil can shorten my engine life. eg the mobile Oil I had/have in Tassie caused a timing chain rattle when the engine was cold, when I added Nulon, no rattle , it tells me that the Mobil in the sump is not as good as it could be, probably a mineral oil and not synthetic.

No heavy theory just xxxx oil that meets MB 229.51

How do you check/replace the DPF?

Peter

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Going to be up for my first Engine Oil Change soon, What engine oil should I be using?

Richard, you have posted on the US Site on this subject, I understand it should be to MB 229.51 Spec.

I prefer Mobil eg Mobil ESPxxxx or a Valvoline product xxxx for Australian temperature ranges. I think I have Mobil 15-40 in the sump now.

Some heavy stuff on the US Forums about Ash clogging the DPF Diesel Particle Filter, and some confusion about various oils, I realise that the wrong oil can shorten my engine life. eg the mobile Oil I had/have in Tassie caused a timing chain rattle when the engine was cold, when I added Nulon, no rattle , it tells me that the Mobil in the sump is not as good as it could be, probably a mineral oil and not synthetic.

No heavy theory just xxxx oil that meets MB 229.51

How do you check/replace the DPF?

Peter
Tin 229.3/229.5
Mobil 1 Sypersyn 0W-40
Example N/D 15W-40 mineral oil, wreak point is low temp viscosity! On cold crank starts until the oil reaches the correct operating temperature.
At particular times, of Autumn Winter Spring, when morning Ambient temps are below 10c where heavy moisture is preset Heavy dew. the wind chill factor {liken to a refrigerator fan being forced into your radiator}:Prevents the oil from reaching operating temperature fr at east 5 minutes at 60 Klm's an hour.
One at these particular times,can hear the timing chain rattle if under heavy acceleration {ping back} especially if your going up a hill with a concrete barrier beside you,the nose reverberates back onto the drivers window.
Note: It is rare, in saying this Last winter and spring was well below normal temps for Hobart,and with the onset of Autumn colder and much more moisture present in the morn with the Bridgewater Jerry coming down the Derwent {FOG} in a nut shell I switched from 15W-40 BP Vanellus G6 Global,to Mobil Sypersyn 0W-40
The noticeable change was a faster warm up no rattle and a smother engine running at low temps. in 5000K no top up of oils has been required, Mobil sypersyn )W-40 has retained a very good color not black as mineral will go inside of a day.
There is no diesel smell on a cold crank start coming from the crankcase ventilator either ;{This is rare,but it usually occurred on very cold mornings.} in part to negate this I used RL-200 upper-cylinder Lubricant to disperse-unburnt oil or accumulation of a build up of carbon in the engine.
The change over to Mobil sypersyn was based on it being the most advanced oil on the market that matches My 313 CDi or a 316 cdi
This oil is backwards compatible for your Tin Peter,and superior to older oil formulations.
It is not cheap Basically retails at $87 to $102 Retail My suggestion is ring Mobil and ask for the local Mobil distributors number to sell it to you direct,it's a lot cheaper the above retail prices
Richard.
mobil1.jpg

mobil 11.jpg

mobil 111.jpg

mobil1111.jpg

mobil5.jpg

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Peter when you have a chance.
Question which 15W-40 oil have you put in ,that's is for Mobil.
Note: there is a dependency,on the Mobil site
Thats states Mobil Delvac ESP 5W-30
This is for the cross over to NCV with a DPF-particulate filter-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mobil 1 Has changed specifications for a Mercedes Sprinter

The original 5W-30 synthetic very suspect for a Sprinter MB 228.35,229.1, 229.3, is now MB 229.31 229,51 Low saps for sedans only.
There are old stock floating about these have No MB references. on the containers.
Mobil 3000 5W-40 synthetic
Mobil 2000 10W-40 semi synthetic
Mobil 1000 !5W-40 multi grade not for Diesel Petrol LPG only
Do not use any of these Mobil 1.2 or 3000 oils.

mobil 2010 MB specs (Custom).jpg
I need until Sunday to cross check a few things.
Engine knocking is fuel related as to oils
I'll supply you the correct and safest solutions
And show you photos of an engine that blew at 77 thousand Kilometers using the wrong oil
Richard
DSC01015(1) (Custom).JPG

Last edited:

PeterInSa

Richard
Thanks for the reply you mentioned Mobil sypersyn 0W-40 that meets MB Spec 229.51 with numerous write ups and not from mobil saying OK/Best for Sprinters, and Mobil Delvac MX with no reference to meeting MB Spec 229.51 from a Mobil write up supporting use in Sprinters.

This seems to suggest that the Delvac MX is the better of the 2 for me(suggested by Mobil). Note Adelaide rarely gets down to 4deg C so very low temperature operation is not that critical.

What about the DPF test/change?

Peter

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Peter: Your Sprinter MB sheet rating For Mineral MB 228.3/229.1 Delvac
OW-40 Mobile SuperSyn MB SHeet 229.5/229.50

0W-40 SuperSyn is an advanced oil that crosses over to a Euro 4 model without a particulate filter.
Note: Peter you do not have a Particulate filter.Your van is not required to run MB Sheet 229.51

This is Mobiles Net-Lube Data chart Mobil Australia - NetLube just click it and follow the links
mobil DATA (Custom).jpg
DO not use MB229.51 OW-40 or 5W-40 Delvac ESP.that is for a late 2006 Sprinter with a particulate filter.
My mate Jon JD Keeps running this charthttp://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevoli...2&suchbegriff=
Be aware many products are manufactured in different countries that may or may not Match our oils as to API and ACEA ratings if your in doubt I can advise as to what is best for your Happy Camper.
Richard

Last edited:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
PETER YOU MAY BE INTERESTED AS TO YOUR QUESTION RATTLE ON A COLD RANK START.
WHICH WILL DISSIPATE UPON REACHING VISCOSITY OPERATING TEMPERATURE.
For winter drop back to 0W-40

look st the SAE chart and ACEA numbers A3/B3&A3/B4 followed by MB 229.3/229.5
Do not follow the API standard as it is based on a lower base standard,as most numbers now are redundant for your engine and no longer excepted as to licensing International standards
If you find an ILSAC standard ignore it.

I have spoken to Mobil and BP chemists.
Who were able to explain the difficulties for Australian standards for oils.
Our engines are based on European emissions standards Euro 3,4,5,and 6
ACEA standards Changed in 2004 for class 11 ACEA E5
2006 E7
2008 E8
2009 E9
Your 313 is complaint to E5 or A3/B3 A3 B4 for a full synthetic oil
E5 covers ultra low diesel 10/ppm.

The oil rating for Low emissions is mid saps with a high performance diesel injection system
with EGR and no particulate filter.

Mobil SAE W is a winter formulation OW-40 is equal to E7 low saps but exceeds Mobil's 05-30 synthetic.
Our oils show API and ACEA 95% of Australian oils are old formulations based on 1996 to 2003
As we are aligned to U.S fuel companies the discrepancy of European Models with ACEA SAE ratings exceed the American API rating.

In saying this like in the States as in Australia Euro 4 5 and 6 are in part not required until 2011
for the final emission standards to come into force.

Therefore the anomaly comes into the factoring that your engine is a Euro 3 variant of which by Mercedes design requires a Higher quality oil rating.

Mobil Delvac MX 15W-40 carries the U.S Starburst C!-4 Plus symbol it's licensed and the European EGR suitable ACEA E5 ,B4 B3 B2 but is not suitable for Winter at low temp cold starts,unless you have a pre warmer fitted to your engine.

One of the reasons I'd switched to BP Vanellus which is now discontinued as to two symbols on the ACEA rating B3 E3
SAE VISCOSITY GRADE.jpg
data 04 229.5 (Custom).jpg
`A2-E908E608comparison.jpg-.jpg
Simply put we don't even have an oil for the latest 2009 blue efficiency engines
For an oil that will deliver the promised fuel economy.
In a nut shell most oils sold in OZ for a sprinter is Euro 11 1995 to 2003 or Bin 11 and Bin 3 U.S standard Think your self lucky you don't have SCR or an external EGR valve.

BLACK DEATH AS THE AS THE Americans CALL IT OR BLACK YOGURT IN EUROPE.
BP CASTROL 0W-40
MEETS THE NEW FUEL STANDARDS FOR ECONOMY.M111FE UNTIL 2009 E8
MB 229.51
WITH PARTICULATE FILTER.
DSC01021 (Custom) (5).JPG
MOBIL SUPERSYN 0W-40
MB 229.5 WITHOUT PARTICULATE FILTER
DSC01020 (Custom).JPG
RICHARD

PeterInSa

Richard,

Thanks
In summary I should be using MOBIL SUPERSYN 0W-40 ie for MB 229.5 for Sprinters WITHOUT PARTICULATE FILTER ie my 2003 Sprinter for both Summer and Winter. Previously intended using the Delvac .

Peter

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Peter the Mobil 0w-40 yes MB 229.5 currently it's the beat there is,
MOBIL DELVAC 5w-40 I NEVER USED THIS ONE.[SLIPPED Past my radar:bash:]
OR Mobil Delvac MX 15W 40 but no longer do I thick it's the best for Winter.
I'm sure there are others But it takes too long to put them through a data sheet to simulate what they do.

I'll know how good the OW-40 M Sypersyn will be as winter progresses.
May I suggest as you have been using older formulation oils, Please consider having your engine flushed to disperse old sludge and contaminates prior to filling up with a new oil, include fuel and oil filters.

My reason is mixing of old oils with new sypersyn 0W-40, is likely to change the chemical make up at operating temperatures:hmmm: and maybe not perform as good.
I would suggest a 20 thousand K life span or 12 months ,whichever comes first as to your van carry load being close to 3500KG,simply put, the oil will work harder,as opposed to a lesser weight.variant.
I did look at Valvoline:thumbup: but it is a lesser oil,but I'll give them credit where credit is due.
On the rear on the rear label, it showed Change Oil+ oil filter, and included! upper cylinder lubricants! Now that is a first.:clapping:

Richard

Top Bottom