Instrument cluster lights

ireeb

Can anyone help me, my dash lights turn on when the sprinter is off and the headlight switch is turned on but as soon as i start the vehicle the dash lights go out, i have replaced the license plate bulbs and they are working, i don't belive it is a fuse as they work when ignition is off. I have a 2005 super high roof 140WB sprinter. Any help is appreciated.

Ivan

mendonsy

It sounds like they are actually on, but are so dim that you can't see them. This is from the service manual. Hope it helps!:idunno:

CLUSTER ILLUMINATION
The EMIC has several general illumination lamps that are illuminated when the exterior lighting is turned on with the multi-function switch. The illumination
intensity of these lamps is adjusted by a dimming level input received from the multi-function indicator “+” (plus) and “–” (minus) switch push buttons
that extend through the lower edge of the cluster lens below the right end of the multi-function indicator. When the exterior lighting is turned Off,
the display is illuminated at maximum brightness.
When the exterior lighting is turned On and the transmission gear selector is in the Park position, depressing the plus switch push button brightens the
display lighting, and depressing the minus switch push button dims the display lighting. The EMIC also provides a Pulse-Width Modulated (PWM) panel
lamps dimmer output that can be used to synchronize the illumination lighting levels of external illumination lamps (up to about 23 to 30 watts) with
that of the EMIC.
The hard wired multi-function switch input and the EMIC panel lamps dimmer output may be diagnosed using conventional diagnostic methods. However,
proper testing of the PWM control of the EMIC and the electronic dimming level inputs from the multi-function indicator push buttons requires the
use of a DRBIIIt scan tool. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information.

ireeb

I checked the dimming level, the odometer light is on it is just the other lights that don't work, they work fine when the vehicle is off and i can see the lights jsut fine as soon as i start the vehicle they go out except for the odometer/clock light. I am puzzeld?
It sounds like they are actually on, but are so dim that you can't see them. This is from the service manual. Hope it helps!:idunno:

CLUSTER ILLUMINATION
The EMIC has several general illumination lamps that are illuminated when the exterior lighting is turned on with the multi-function switch. The illumination
intensity of these lamps is adjusted by a dimming level input received from the multi-function indicator “+” (plus) and “–” (minus) switch push buttons
that extend through the lower edge of the cluster lens below the right end of the multi-function indicator. When the exterior lighting is turned Off,
the display is illuminated at maximum brightness.
When the exterior lighting is turned On and the transmission gear selector is in the Park position, depressing the plus switch push button brightens the
display lighting, and depressing the minus switch push button dims the display lighting. The EMIC also provides a Pulse-Width Modulated (PWM) panel
lamps dimmer output that can be used to synchronize the illumination lighting levels of external illumination lamps (up to about 23 to 30 watts) with
that of the EMIC.
The hard wired multi-function switch input and the EMIC panel lamps dimmer output may be diagnosed using conventional diagnostic methods. However,
proper testing of the PWM control of the EMIC and the electronic dimming level inputs from the multi-function indicator push buttons requires the
use of a DRBIIIt scan tool. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information.

MiKeHD

Love PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
I have the same trooble, but me he start after replace a brake light...

Good engine, poor electrical systeme !!!!!

maxextz

Rollin Rollin Rollin.....
if i remember correctly i had the same thing while removing the fuses for day time lights.
the dash lights went off while i removed one of those fuses.so i then had the side marker lights and dash on once the van is running.

if you did the same mod then recheck which ones are missing if any.
max.....:hmmm:

ireeb

Thanks I'll check for that, does anyone have a wiring schematic for the sprinter

if i remember correctly i had the same thing while removing the fuses for day time lights.
the dash lights went off while i removed one of those fuses.so i then had the side marker lights and dash on once the van is running.

mendonsy

There is a link to the service manual in the T1N database section. The schematic (such as it is) is in there.

ireeb

I found the problem it was the fuse #8 under the drivers seat for the daytime driving lights i think what caused the fuse to blow was the dealership i bought the sprinter from put new brake bulbs in and i found they were the wrong ones they were 8 watt bulbs instead of the 5 watt that is recommended, Thanks to everyone for your input all of it led to finding all the problems.:cheers::clapping:

ireeb

Make sure you have teh right bulbs it blew my daytime running lights fuse by having the wrong bulbs

I have the same trooble, but me he start after replace a brake light...

Good engine, poor electrical systeme !!!!!

Top Bottom